Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
Gämsbock wrote:
@letsgetpiste, so anything skiable should be pisted and there should be no off piste left? It's not like there is a shortage of pisted runs to enjoy in the three valleys.

I'm pretty sure you got the wrong end of the stick there. I was merely commenting on my own inexperience of off piste skiing and my resulting inability to rate a resort based on its off piste potential! I have never been to Val Thorens and any information from people like @offpisteskiing is going to be invaluable to me when I do visit in January and April next year.
I'd love to venture off the side and experience more off piste and that is my intention in 2016, weather, conditions and guidance permitting.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@letsgetpiste, yep, I misunderstood your meaning. The joy of the written word on the internet Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy1234 wrote:
What a pity the Lory route is now pisted. Kind of counter intuitive, more and more people on fat skis and less and less off piste routes left natural.

Exactly!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having skied from the Bouchet lift into the valley, I personally think it's not *that* big a deal. The valley is so wide, it can easily contain a piste as well as off-piste trails. The only difference is that now, you have an audience instead of wall-to-wall solitude.

I do appreciate the sentiment, and I think the resort would have been better off with some marked off-piste trails rather than a new groomer. But ultimately, the Lory run will make many more people enjoy a new valley for a relatively small price.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back to the snow reports. Skied around LT, C1850 and a bit of meribel today. Only out for a few hours as arrived from GVA @ 12:30. Overall conditions were probably better than expected, with some firm but decent piste skiing available. Yes it's a bit icy in places, a bit narrow in places, but by focusing on following the sun, some fun was to be had.

Slightly disappointing that a number of my fave pistes are close - e.g pretty much all the reds into Meribel/Mottaret from the Saulire side
More of the same tomorrow it looks like, will try and get further afield and report back
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skiing around Val Thorens at the moment and the pistes are better than this time last year. Less ice and more grippy snow. It was 7 degrees at 2600m yesterday and you can see the snow line just below the village. St Martin is surrounded by brown fields as is Le Menuires other then a couple of pistes into the village.

They have done a pretty remarkable job to make the pistes so good. The lakes are pretty low now.

Should be a very nice week with lots of sunshine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am not doubting the above but friends in our apartment block went up to VT yesterday and one of them came out of their skis on a slope with a lot of small rocks. Unfortunately she broke her arm and is returning to UK for surgery. She added in the email that "some slopes are good but it's the worst I have seen for a few years."

They are pretty good skiers so take care all!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sounds a bit like christmas last season, avoiding rocks on some pistes.

Come on santa deliver some presents this year of the white and cold variety
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
06Z the precipitation wiggles look to have stopped early for Christmas, they can't be bothered to make an appearance at the moment Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Today I skied into c1650, c1550, c1850, Mottaret, Les Menuires & La Tania and had some great skiing on a number of pistes. Creux for example was in great shape, really grippy and empty, so great for cranking it. Combe Saulire was good as were many of the runs above Les Menuires.

Yes there are stones, often in the usual places - e.g. dropping into Combe Saulire from the Meribel side, but most of the really crappy bits are marked or can be spotted. Yes there were some 'polished patches where it was hard to engage an edge but given the scarcity of people on the piste. You need to time your pistes with care as giving them an hour or so to ease in the sunshine made a massive difference to the feel of the snow.

Overall another good day. planning on going to VT tomorrow to see what's that like
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the precipitation wiggles look to have stopped early for Christmas

Let's be thankful for small mercies, with FL up to 3000m this week.

Good to hear it's better than last year. snowHead

Sorry about the broken arm. @andy1234. Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @pam w, at least it wasn't mine (touches wood).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bertie bassett, thanks for your good objective report of piste conditions. I am looking forward to getting there on Friday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

A little screenshot from YR just now...
It's looking a bit cloudy on the webcams... anybody in the Three Valleys predicting a chance of a little dusting? The squiggles seem to have dissipated for this week with some disturbance in the force around Christmas.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
letsgetpiste wrote:
A little screenshot from YR just now...

Just realised that this is a terrible screenshot... It's hinting at snow today and tomorrow.
snow report
As per B-Bassett's post above pistes are in reasonable condition considering - was up around the top of Les Menuires & Mottaret this morning then over in Courch this afternoon - even the last run of the day was surprisingly good and grippy right back down to Meribel! (a rare occurrence even in a good year...)

Friends & colleagues have been out getting some odd scraps of old powder, but you have to go hunting.

Worth bearing in mind that even with very little snow there is still some potential for things to slide:

Note: Pete is purely there to give it scale...!
Note 2: the snow making equipment may well have had something to do with this...
snow report
I reckon the best 'winter' snow is on La Masse at the moment. Only a couple of runs are open on the top half but they're smooth and grippy with no stones. Most of VT is more like spring freeze/thaw with rock hard rubbly snow in the shadows and ice patches elsewhere. Best piste in the whole of the 3V's though is my home run - Folyeres into La Tania - been in absolutely outstanding condition for the whole of the last 10 days I've been here. Got blown away yesterday by a race club kid who was in a full race tuck top-to-bottom - oh, the confidence of youth!
latest report
Pretty much agree with offpisteskiing view of the conditions. this is some of the better piste conditions in VT

View towards Les M from Bruyeres

view from the top of Biollay - look at the snow-line in the distance

today I skied a bit in Les Menuire - Allamands and down to Bruyeres, and also some of the VT pistes - Chardon, lac blanc, then went across to Portette and Thorens, with a view to taking the new Lory into Orelle, but it was closed. Made my way across to Cime Caron, and went down Col De L'auddin, normally one of my favourite pistes but this time is was icy and with plenty of patches of stones and 'death cookies' - not as much fun

So whilst the pistes are generally ok, good in parts, rubbish in parts - my bigger concern with VT was the number of people - especially with people skiing quickly and close and not accounting for the fact that there are places where you just can't turn. Definitely felt a lot busier than Courchevel or Meribel valleys.
snow report
Booked for La Tania now from Saturday, Bertie's middle photo is a bit concerning but I'm sure there'll be plenty to keep me entertained for the week snowHead
snow report
@bertie bassett, would agree with you feom today's mooching around. seems to me that any piste can have patches of soft grippy snow, ice and even stones. Still good fun and good to ski in tricky conditions. next week will be telling acrosd the 3vs when numbers will be 3x greater.
snow conditions
@bertie bassett, the snow line in the distance is on south facing mountains, I don't worry when I see them on the web cams.
snow conditions
Rained quite hard overnight in La Tania. Freezing was meant to be c.2000 so hopefully a bit of a top up higher up.
ski holidays
@bertie bassett,

This is Uni ski trip week in VT. It'll be mayhem up until Xmas, students either drunk or hungover. Very Happy
latest report
Crux was good around 11am but on only a limited view of the pistes around the saulire I don't think theres been much of a topup
ski holidays
I've just finished four days skiing from La Tania. To be honest it is not too bad at all and much better than this time last year.
The best conditions are probably in and around Courchevel and La Tania with Folyores back to La Tania particularly good. We skied a bit in 1650 today and there is much more snow around Roc Mugnier than anywhere in Meribel. On the lift back up from Monteret today the whole of Meribel looks bare. I agree about Val T, too many people skiing fast in poor piste conditions.
Considering the lack of snowfall the past two weeks we had a good time but unless things change in the next week or so it's going to be terrible.
snow report
Tried most of the 3vs today after the little dusting last night. Above les meniures was really very good. lots of soft snow and sunshine. Meribel was also good although a few more thin bits. VT wasnt as good as the rest of the 3vs in my view today as there was a lot more icy slopes Still better than this time last year. The lakes are near the bottom so i hope the artificial snow continues.

I can see next week being ok then the worries would really set in.
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
Tried most of the 3vs today after the little dusting last night. Above les meniures was really very good. lots of soft snow and sunshine. Meribel was also good although a few more thin bits. VT wasnt as good as the rest of the 3vs in my view today as there was a lot more icy slopes

Are you paying attention @Millom?
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
Are you paying attention @Millom?

Ssssshhhh. Let sleeping dogs lie. Please!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tom Doc, thanks for sticking your nose in. Do you have any meaningful contribution to make about current 3V piste conditions? No, thought not.
latest report
right, as 2nd of jan is about to approach the wiggles, I've decided to make an offering to the snow gods, I sacrificed my first born last year and we had christmas snowmageddon on the Saturday before we left giving me a day of powder.

Thankfully I met a witch doctor in who lives in the forest above la tania, he brought my first born back, unfortunately with character flaws (she's learning to snowboard), so I'm willing to sacrifice her again in aid of another snowmageddon
snow conditions
We're off to La Tania on Sunday for Christmas and personally I absolutely can't wait. We've always skiied the week before February half term but the daft policy on taking the kids out of school means we're skiing Christmas this year.

I understand the snow isn't perfect but we can ski to and from our door, I'm looking forward to taking the kids down the Combe de Caron for the first time, looking forward to melted cheese based cuisine, red wine, strong continental lager, no cooking, washing up, emails, laundry or work.

Bring it on.
latest report
We're in Meribel on Sunday, so we may bump into you somewhere! Like you - no work, washing up or worrying about presents!

The thought of snow on the piste is a bonus Very Happy
snow conditions
3v's the place to be:

http://www.latania.co.uk/blog/?p=9359

Picking stones up by hand!
latest report
jonathancarty wrote:
We're off to La Tania on Sunday for Christmas and personally I absolutely can't wait. We've always skiied the week before February half term but the daft policy on taking the kids out of school means we're skiing Christmas this year.

I understand the snow isn't perfect but we can ski to and from our door, I'm looking forward to taking the kids down the Combe de Caron for the first time, looking forward to melted cheese based cuisine, red wine, strong continental lager, no cooking, washing up, emails, laundry or work.

Bring it on.

Where are you staying? that sounds wonderful.
ski holidays
Quote:

Where are you staying? that sounds wonderful.

We're staying in the Telemark http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/ch_telemark.html but to be fair any catered accommodation with ski in/out access would fit my description!!
ski holidays
Quote:

We're staying in the Telemark http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/ch_telemark.html but to be fair any catered accommodation with ski in/out access would fit my description!!

Nice place, stayed there several times. Almost ski out too.
snow report
Heading to Val Thorens for the first time on saturday.

Will have at least 3 full days skiing.

Can anyone advise what type of lift pass I should buy? I.e. local or for the three valleys. I would be an experienced skier who likes to do challenging runs and off piste. I would ordinarily assume the larger lift pass was suitable but perhaps if the snow is poor it isn't worth it.
ski holidays
@barrymct, I would.Definitely get the bigger pass the snow across the 3v seemed.pretty similar today, but by not spending time in Vt I was able to avoid the busy pistes.

Highlight of the day snow-wise was Fred Colville on La.Masses empty and great snow. Also the runs above less manures had been sun softened after lunch and also skied very nicely.
snow report
@bertie bassett, thanks! Bigger pass it is.
latest report
Full on mooch all around the 3V's today including some off-piste from the top of the glacier chair in VT:

Tracked out a bit but still good to ski in, soft and sloughy so did 2 laps of it Madeye-Smiley

Best snow was first thing in Courchevel 1850 - immaculate corduroy on Chenus/Saulire/Creux. Top of Courchevel is good all day, 1650 is in a terrible state and best avoided. Run into Meribel village is nice once soft and very spring like. Folyeres into La Tania consistently good and no stones. Aigle into Mottaret is atrocious even by Aigle's usually bad standards. I don't normally give a stuff what I ski but it was genuinely unpleasant today - just frozen unpisted rubble. New St Martin 2 chair very fast and comfortable - 7 minutes to the top. The runs into Meribel that are open are a little hard but grippy and not bad. Not much of Les Menuires seemed to have been pisted today so a bit lumpy but softish and grippy so ok. Parts of VT that are in the shade are hard and icy. I couldn't get any grip on the black Glacier piste even though it had the sun on it. In contrast Goitschel was very grippy and fun for short turns. The red Mauriennaise into Orelle was pleasant and quiet - it's not too often you can carve the second half with no-one to avoid.

Still, there's plenty of good skiing to be had and thank goodness for snow cannons! When you see how brown places like Meribel village are, it's amazing to think that the run down is so good. I missed early season last year which was meant to worse than this but I can honestly say I've never seen the bunkers on the golf course still exposed in December and the Meribel ski de fond is still grass. Overall, I think everywhere's in amazing condition considering the lack of precipitation except Le Praz and 1650 - avoid those until it snows properly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy