Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying my first skis..

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone just joined here, been lurking for a while now!
As the title says really in in the market for a pair of skis.. I've always rented and never owned my own pair of skis before however we're planning to spend the whole season on the hill this year..

So I've decided it's time to take the plunge.
Some info on me, I'm 6'2" and about 85kgs. I'd say I'm an intermediate skier looking to improve as much as possible this season and take my skiing to the next level.

I'll be spending most of my time in bounds on the groomers but like a jaunt into the trees etc. really I'm after an all mountain ski that I can take pretty much anywhere and have fun on.. I've had my eye on the armada ARV ti's but most reviews seem to rate them as an advanced ski.. Any help would be appreciated l don't want to end up on something too advance and un-skiable but at the same time would like something that will last and I can grow into..

I'm also going to be needing some bindings to go with them... I'm trying to educate myself in the ways in which they work etc but any nods in the right direction would be great, as I said I'll be on the resort so I don't need touring bindings or anything like that, just safe, reliable and if possible lightweight!

Thanks for reading all this! Let me know what you think would be a good match!
Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where do you live? If you can get to a demo day at one of the indoor slopes it's a great way of comparing how different skis feel. At the last demo day in Braehead I tried everything from slalom skis to pure powder. Even if you don't buy on the day it gives you a lot of reference points that then makes future decisions much more informed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ideally you want to try before you buy.

There are masses of all mountain ski's out there.

Bindings as far as I can tell you pay what you get in terms of component strength and build quality. Therefore the bigger you are and the harder you ski the more you want to pay.

If it helps I am a similar build to you, ski all mountain and ski on DYNASTAR CHAM 97 + LOOK PX 12 bindings.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice so far.. I would like to try before i buy anything, I wasn't aware there were demo days! We live just outside of London. Anyone know if there are any such days this year at hemel / Milton Keynes I'm asuming?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BIZZLE_J, Snowheads ski testing at Hemel on Sat 10th October Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh awesome! Do I just turn up or do I need to book ahead? Any ideas which brands will be avaliae to demo?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ellis Brigham's also let you hire skis at MK. All you need to do is leave your passport or driving license and you can try different skis out during their opening hours Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BIZZLE_J, have a look in the 'events' section on here. The buttons to book aren't up yet but they will be soon. You will need to book in advance and pay for the Hemel lift pass as part of the booking.
Last year's page is still there and will give a list of brands. It will be similar this year, I expect. You could certainly try the kneissl black stars, you might like them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sweet! I'll keep an eye out and get booked up! Hopefully that'll help narrow my choices!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BIZZLE_J, I'll see you there!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MayaL wrote:
Ellis Brigham's also let you hire skis at MK. All you need to do is leave your passport or driving license and you can try different skis out during their opening hours Smile

Interesting Laughing thanks for the tip.. Looks like I've a couple of indoor ski trips planned all of a sudden!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Demo days are great - even if you know which ski you want it can be worth trying it in different lengths. And trying on skis you've got no intention of buying - cheater GS skis, big powder planks etc is great fun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BIZZLE_J You stepped into the right room here, we're all dead keen and understand the craving for new boards, whether we need them or not.
We could justify not having our own skis quite easily,
but each time we walk past them in the garage piled up in the corner behind the other tall things, it reminds of of good times and better times to come.

I'll have to get down to Hemmel on October 10th, so I can fondle the new hardware,

The winter is on its way, and that's the season some of us love.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BIZZLE_J I hope you've put some effort into getting the right boots?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:
@BIZZLE_J I hope you've put some effort into getting the right boots?

Yeah, have had my own for 2ish years after a rough trip in rentals.. Must've tried on like 100 pairs before we found the right ones! The technicians at the local shop were great, got them moulded and have had happy feet since! I have the atomic waymaker 90's

Getting so excited for the winter day by day, the ski magazines are on the shelves.. Hype train!
ski holidays
@BIZZLE_J,

Given you are planning on skiing all season it seems like buying some skis is a no brainer. I've had my own skis for 20+ years and skis seem to be breeding in our ski locker these days so I'm clear pro ski ownership Very Happy

But just one though for you, as an intermediate about to ski a whole season you can expect your skiing to come on a lot if you work at it. You might end up wanting something completely different by mid season. I've been told that some resort ski shops will do really sensible deals on season long hire and give you the opportunity to change your skis through the season. Remember they get skis at roughly half price, can service them for marginal cost and can sell them on at end of season for a good chunk of what they paid - quite easy to see how they can cut a good deal. Anyway, just a thought.

Otherwise it sounds like the ski test is a great idea for you. Apart from being able to try before you buy, you should be able to get advice from people who can actually SEE your level.
ski holidays
^^^ That's excellent advice.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
@BIZZLE_J,

Given you are planning on skiing all season it seems like buying some skis is a no brainer. I've had my own skis for 20+ years and skis seem to be breeding in our ski locker these days so I'm clear pro ski ownership Very Happy

But just one though for you, as an intermediate about to ski a whole season you can expect your skiing to come on a lot if you work at it. You might end up wanting something completely different by mid season. I've been told that some resort ski shops will do really sensible deals on season long hire and give you the opportunity to change your skis through the season. Remember they get skis at roughly half price, can service them for marginal cost and can sell them on at end of season for a good chunk of what they paid - quite easy to see how they can cut a good deal. Anyway, just a thought.

Otherwise it sounds like the ski test is a great idea for you. Apart from being able to try before you buy, you should be able to get advice from people who can actually SEE your level.

I'd not thought of that, I'd just assumed hiring season long would cost a fortune.. Looks like I'll be emailing some ski shops.. we were pretty much going to be buying them at the local ski shop once we are there anyway due to the strength of the pound in Canada at the moment.. I think I'll still come and try some at Hemel to help me narrow my choices prior though Cool
Hopefully I won't have totally forgotten how to ski in the last year or it could make for an interesting test!
latest report
Quote:

I'd not thought of that, I'd just assumed hiring season long would cost a fortune

I'm not sure all shops will be competitive - does need a manager/owner to be a little creative. worth a try though. In any case, if you are going to buy out there you should be abl to try a bunch of skis before you buy and get the hire knocked off the price
snow report
@BIZZLE_J, Just a thought... If you can find a pair at a discounted price (now's the time to do it! Smile ), then the difference in price when you sell them would likely still be less than what you'd pay for renting a pair throughout the season? Just thinking aloud...
snow conditions
Hi Folks I'm new here and apologies to Bizzle for hijacking his thread but I am in a similar situation.
As a 5'6" 72Kg male of 'good for a 1holiday/year' ability with interests in low level (in contact with the ground!) freeride & piste carving.
What sort of thing am I looking for?
I have always bought cheap 2nd hand skis and got on with it, my current pair are 170 'semi carvers' which are great on piste but difficult on the fiddly stuff.
Can anyone recommend an online seller with good phone support who MIGHT offer honest advice?
Thanks in advance
Tim
PS. Bizzle, did you buy anything?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy