Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resorts are on the rebound.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
.....in the US, according to this Summit Daily News article.

But how much is hype, and how appropriate is their 'population demographics' argument to the future of the industry in Europe? How significant is the new flexibility to increasing the attractiveness of the sport, with the move away from the traditional towards more diverse and fun activities? How much have the recent political instabilities affected European resorts?

And longer-term, will climate change result in a mini-boom for the richer, well-established, high altitude resorts, despite projected shorter seasons? Are any snowHeads serously considering investing in any resort properties under 1800m, and if so, how do they justify this? Do snowHeads believe on the whole that the environment is under major and immediate threat, that global warming is a reality?

On this cheerful note, I'm off skiing this morning, while I can! (I mean because the season is virtually over, of course Wink )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG. I know this isn't your intention, but to promote property investment above 1800m, which encourages even more development and pollution-ridden access roads, is not what we should be looking at.

We need to get out of the 'ski-in ski-out mentality' and encourage construction of access lifts from the valley floor to the snowline. The snowfields are there to be skied on, unblemished by more apartment blocks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, Very fair point. It is rather ironic though that global warming itself could result in accelerated development of the rather more wealthy resorts at 1800m and above, and which have access to domains with runs above 3000m. Converting people from the 'ski-in ski-out mentality' will not be so easy - it depends how resolute the authorities are in preventing further development. However the huge Arc 1950 complex doesn't seem to have faced a great deal of serious opposition at the outset.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Do snowHeads believe on the whole that the environment is under major and immediate threat, that global warming is a reality?

I do on both counts. I'm not so sure about the immediacy of the environmental treat but totally convinced there is one that won't go away without actions. The Americans won't sign up to the Kyoto Agreement. Most other Governments are not really making serious attempts to minimise environmental damage and there seems to be very good evidence towards global warming. We generally accept that chloroflurocarbons (CFCs) caused the ozone holes so why won't people accept that all the CO2, Methane and other greenhouse gases we emit are having a similar effect ? Exactly what that impact on climate might be is harder to predict but I'm sure there are changes occuring now. Look at the rates of glacier withdrawal for evidence.
I am however a lover of ski-in ski-out. Yes call me a hypocrite if you like. I reckon if it's built it may as well be used. But I wouldn't support further development of the purpose-built French architectural monstrosities or any new resorts like them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian, Of course we're all hypocrytes to a degree. I wouldn't want to be without my car, or my central heating. However it seems to me that Governments are not generally the least bit interested unless there's some immediate threat to their next election.

How about all western governments insisting that new buildings all had solar roofs? The price would come down, we'd all save a lot of energy and this would be easy to implement.

PG, Of course some resorts are below 1800m but with most of their ski-ing well above that level! Whether the major ski-ing is above (as LDA) or below the resort (as in Alpe d'Huez,) is also a factor.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy