Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question: Arc 1950 access to rest of Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I've looked around the forum trying to get an answer to this question, but no such luck yet. Hoping a Les Arcs regular can help...

As a family, we are stuck with Easter skiing, which although relatively early this year, still means I want to aim high. (Nice self cater with access to a pool is the ideal)
Previous years we've done Zermatt, Val D, Tignes and Saas Fee, which have all had decent snow in April. The only issue last year at Tignes was the weather... wind and snow meant most of the lifts were shut more often than they were open the week we were there.
Originally I was thinking that the Kashmir apartments in Val Thorens would be the next logical place to sample the various high/spring skiing resorts of Europe, but the other half remembers the closures at Tignes, and was looking for something a bit more sheltered. I suppose it's an old problem... trying to get best of both worlds (High and snow sure for April, but some lower/sheltered options if the wind gets up, or clouds/snow roll in - as it's our only ski week of the year, and don't want to spend it indoors.)
After researching, I thought the apartments at 1950 might be the answer. High, but with access to more tree lined slopes above 1800/1600.
Or so I thought...
Read something which suggested access from Arc 2000/1950 might not be so easy in bad weather. So I looked at the map, and I can see you can't simply ski down from 1950 - it looks like you are kind of reliant on either Bous de l' ours or Comborciere lifts to get you across to the slops above 1600/1800. If the winds are high and the weather bad, are these as likely to get closed as the higher lifts above 2000? If so, are there any easy/sensible options (Bearing in mind I'll have an 8 and 7 year old in tow) to get down to the lifts and slopes of 1600? (Assuming they are more likely to be open and sheltered?)
Thinking bus? If so, how frequent/convenient?
Are the higher slopes and lifts of Arc 2000/1950 more or less prone to wind closures in particular than say Tignes was, or VT might be?
If we are going to be apartment bound in 1950 in any windy/snowy weather anyway, are we better off just biting the bullet and going for for VT - which will have better snow conditions for those days that are OK?
Or should I just accept that only having 1/4 of the resort for 4 out of 6 days last year was a bit of a freak/unlucky occurrence (I've never had more than 1 or 2 bad days on any previous ski trip before) and not try and over think the worst case scenario?
So many questions.... Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
selly_skier wrote:
Hi,
I've looked around the forum trying to get an answer to this question, but no such luck yet. Hoping a Les Arcs regular can help...

As a family, we are stuck with Easter skiing, which although relatively early this year, still means I want to aim high. (Nice self cater with access to a pool is the ideal)
Previous years we've done Zermatt, Val D, Tignes and Saas Fee, which have all had decent snow in April. The only issue last year at Tignes was the weather... wind and snow meant most of the lifts were shut more often than they were open the week we were there.
Originally I was thinking that the Kashmir apartments in Val Thorens would be the next logical place to sample the various high/spring skiing resorts of Europe, but the other half remembers the closures at Tignes, and was looking for something a bit more sheltered. I suppose it's an old problem. i.e. trying to get best of both worlds - High and snow sure for April, but some lower/sheltered options if the wind gets up, or clouds/snow roll in (As it's our only ski week of the year, I don't want to spend it skiing slush, or stuck indoors due to lift closures)
After researching, I thought the nice apartments at 1950 might be the answer this year. High, but with access to more tree lined slopes above 1800/1600. Or so I thought...
Read something which suggested access from Arc 2000/1950 might not be so easy in bad weather. So I looked at the map, and I can see you can't simply ski down from 1950 - it looks like you are kind of reliant on either Bous de l' ours or Comborciere lifts to get you across to the slops above 1600/1800. If the winds are high and the weather bad, are these as likely to get closed as the higher lifts above 2000? If so, are there any easy/sensible options (Bearing in mind I'll have an 8 and 7 year old in tow) to get down to the lifts and slopes of 1600? (Assuming they are more likely to be open and sheltered?)
Are the higher slopes and lifts of Arc 2000/1950 more or less prone to wind closures in particular than say Tignes was, or VT might be?
If we are going to be apartment bound in 1950 in any windy/snowy weather anyway, are we better off just biting the bullet and going for for VT - which will have better snow conditions for those days that are OK?
Or should I just accept that only having 1/4 of the resort for 4 out of 6 days last year was a bit of a freak/unlucky occurrence (I've never had more than 1 or 2 bad days on any previous ski trip before) and not try and over think the worst case scenario?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@selly_skier, welcome to snowHeads.

Les Arcs has less high altitude terrain than either Tignes or Val Thorens, but at the end of March/beginning of April that really should make any difference at all unless the season comes to freakishly early end. I've skied there a lot at Easter and on almost every occasion it's been possible to ski to all the lower villages in the ski domain, and the tree-lined pistes have generally been in decent condition and make a great place to bolt to if the weather closes in.

The lifts up to the ridge separating 2000/1950 with 1800/1600 do close with high wind, but only very occasionally (and not with any greater frequency than Tignes or VT). I've skied Les Arcs a lot and can only recall a handful if days in the last decade when it was impossible to get from one side of the domain to the other because of high winds closing those lifts for the entire day (and even then you have the fall back position of the resort shuttle buses, which run every 20 minutes or so between resorts)). Loosing the majority of lifts for 4 out of 6 days is incredibly unlucky - don't think I've ever had more than a day and a half of consecutive lift closures in 30+ year of skiing.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 3-09-15 13:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
selly_skier wrote:
selly_skier wrote:
Hi,

Originally I was thinking that the Kashmir apartments in Val Thorens would be the next logical place to sample the various high/spring skiing resorts of Europe, but the other half remembers the closures at Tignes, and was looking for something a bit more sheltered. I suppose it's an old problem. i.e. trying to get best of both worlds - High and snow sure for April, but some lower/sheltered options if the wind gets up, or clouds/snow roll in (As it's our only ski week of the year, I don't want to spend it skiing slush, or stuck indoors due to lift closures)
After researching, I thought the nice apartments at 1950 might be the answer this year. High, but with access to more tree lined slopes above 1800/1600. Or so I thought...
Read something which suggested access from Arc 2000/1950 might not be so easy in bad weather. So I looked at the map, and I can see you can't simply ski down from 1950 to 18090/1600. (Piste down from 1950 only goes towards the 1 or 2 runs above Villaroger)
It looks like you are kind of reliant on either Bous de l' ours or Comborciere lifts to get you across from that side to the slops above 1600/1800. If the winds are high and the weather bad, are these as likely to get closed as the higher lifts above 2000? If so, are there any easy/sensible options (Bearing in mind I'll have an 8 and 7 year old in tow) to get down to the lifts and slopes of 1600? (Assuming they are more likely to be open and sheltered?)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed in 1950 last year and this year, both at Easter. Last year the weather / skiing was perfect, but this year like you in Tignes the weather wasn't brilliant at Easter in 1950 either. As a result various parts of the lift system were shut during the week - mainly due to the high winds I would guess.

With the link lifts shut you are then restricted in 1950 to the very few pistes around 1950/2000, and the queues for the very few lifts open are then extremely long (as the 'higher' lifts in 1950/2000 bowl itself were also shut). So we skied for one day with this, and then didn't ski the next day. The alternative is to take the bus around to 1600, and this runs frequently but we didn't do this and so I don't know how busy it would be. If you have a car you could also drive and park in 1600 to avoid the bus.

From memory the lifts were affected on the Mon/Tue and then more were open by Wed onward (including the links to 1600/1800). So on the face of it there were two days of restrictions versus your four days in Tignes. Plus you can get around to 1600 if you want to.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @selly_skier. I would stick with your plan and I would say you have researched it pretty well already. The ski run from 1950 to the Comborciere lift is a very gentle green run and this lift gives you access to a long (long) blue run all the way to Vallandry. From this blue you can drop into any of the wooded runs to 1600 or 1800 along the way. I have never known Comborciere to be closed due to high winds. But... it is quite a long old lift (a 14 minute ride up). Ditto Bois de l'ours, never known any probs but has the advantage of being a new detachable lift and much quicker. Arcabulle is another way over if you don't mind jumping on Marmottes first. Both chairs are quick and the former has a Perspex hood for the bad weather.

I do not think that Les Arcs is as prone to wind-related closures as some resorts (eg La Rosiere - La Tuile, or Cervinia - Zermatt). When it's blowing a hooley the terrain generally directs the main wind current over the Petit St Bernard pass rather than over the Les Arcs ridges. I have known Varet to suffer a bit and Transarc, but this is classic as they are bubbles. For any chairs to stop altogether would be quite rare.

And, you mention the bus. This is a perfectly viable alternative. It also means that you can never get stuck in the wrong Arc if you miss a lift. Even Vallandry is now connected by bus!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blimey, where to begin?
I've skiied at 1950 at Easter with my family for about 10 years, kids are now 17,15 and 13. I've experienced all kinds of conditions and there will be an element of good/bad fortune whatever you decide to do. Buses run from 2000/1950 to the other levels every 20 mins or so. Everything in 1950 is very convenient, from the bus stop to the pools to the spa...and the spar. Even the short cabriolet lift up to 2000 for the bowling alley and ice-rink is right there, and that lift is always open, right up to 11 p.m. We like the fact that 1950 is car-free as the whole village is built on a 2-storey car park, and we could let the kids do as they please for the most part, while we sat indoors by the fire, or in the pub. I think there is enough to keep everyone occupied if the links to 1800 and 1600 are closed, the village organise things for the kids every day but no question that they are closed sometimes. There's also the Arcabulle lift which can get you across and tho unusual for them to be all closed at Easter, it has happened. I've driven over to VT before when the weather was bad, took about an hour and a half, only to find lift closures and thousands of people. Personally I prefer the village of 1950 to VT, and of course now I can't get the kids to go anywhere else, but of course the 3-valleys is the 3-valleys.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Arc2000 bowl does get closed down occaisionally with heavy snowfall creating avalanche risks, but the bus service offers a way around to Arc1600 and onward to 1800. However, the lift connections are probably better in 1600. The bus is also a useful way back if you get caught in 1800 when the lifts close. IIRC the bus schedule is about 1 every 20 minutes. I have used in on numerous occaions:

1/ We were staying in Arc 2000 and most of the local runs were closed. We simply caught the bus to 1600 and skied from there
2/ Once again we were staying in 2000. We had arrived by train but the tour company wanted to take us out of the resort at some rediculously early time for a 20:00 train. We got the bus to 1600, left our bags at a friends place in 1600, skied till the lifts closed and got the funicular down
3/ Hurt my knee in the Villaroger area, but managed to ski to pre st Espirit where I caught the bus back to my apartment in 1600.
4/ Bois de l' Ours lift was closed forcing everyone down to Comborciere, a lift that is slow and old. The crowd looked like at least a 30 minute queue. We walked across the road and got the bus.
5/ We wanted to get a couple good runs in at the end of the day. Once again it looked like a 10 minute queue at Comborciere (which is at least 15 minutes to the top) and we saw the bus coming down the hill. A bisk walk across the road and we were on the Cachette lift 15 minutes later.

In summary the busses are regular and conveinent. However, occaionally the road to Arc 2000 is closed due to avalanche risk and the buses will not run.

Arc 2000 is pretty high at over 2100m so do not assume that VT ,200m higher, will have any better snow in March. I have skied most Easters in Les Arcs over the last 20 years and can say that generally the snow has been very good. I was there Easter 2105, staying in 1600, and cannot recall any lift closures at all. Though I do recall the Varet being closed for a while due to an avalanche but I am not sure if that was Christmas or Easter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone for really quick, and very informative replies. My first post, and glad I took the plunge rather than searching endlessly for someone with similar questions.
Actually you've made me think about getting on and booking now. I wasn't too bothered, as I assumed nobody was really thinking about skiing in the first week of September, but the replies to my questions suggest otherwise!
I think I'll go with 1950. I did also see the apartments "Les Alpages de Chantel" in 1800 - run by the same people, and a few hundred pounds cheaper than the equivalent in 1950.
The reassurance about ski bus, and maybe coming to terms with the fact that skiing is an inherently weather dependant sport (So should stop being an old woman about the lottery of the odd day of limited skiing at high level) means I think I'll spend the extra for the convenience (Les Alpages de Chantel looks a bit isolated) and what seems like the general ambience of 1950. It's currently £1300 vs. £900 for equivalent 2 bed - so the price difference is not to be sniffed at! If it was me - I'd probably go for cheaper one, but the Mrs is less tight than me, with higher standards Smile
I suppose the only other thing to factor in is ski school. Anyone have much experience with the one ski school based out of 1950? The kids had lessons with New Gen last year at Tignes, and came on loads - so I'm definitely happy to pay a bit more for a class size with half the number of kids, and motivated instructors who actually enjoy the company of kids.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the convenience of everything in 1950 is worth the extra money, especially with 2 young kids in tow. There are 2 or 3 ski schools in 1950, all of which are fine, and I'm sure there are a few privateers who'll meet you there or at the top of the cabriolet in 2000 if you go down that route. Nearer the time there are plenty of people on here with do's and don'ts, and it really doesn't matter which building you're put in, they should all be of a similar spec. Top tip, book Luigi's for lunch (outside) for a sunny day, you and the missus sit there with a lovely plate of tortellini and a bottle of rose, and give the kids a few quid each to go and explore...lovely.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We stayed at the roc belle face at 1600 last year, and have booked the same again for next Easter - it has a pool and steam rooms/sauna, but what we most like about the setup is with three kids we book a 2 bedroom plus alcove - basically a curtained off room by the front door with bunks, which the younger kids love, and means the fourteen year old gets her own room with en-suite. It's a great set up and is only costing us £700 ( this year was an even bigger steal - we paid 525 euros a couple of weeks before we went!). Would definitely recommend the place and it means you get first tracks down the mont-blanc run for the prefect warm up every morning.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@selly_skier, if you do decide on 1950 for Easter, we'll see you there -we're out for a couple of weeks this and every year at Easter for the past 10 years or so.

And if, in the highly unlikely event during Easter the 2000 bowl is closed for a couple of days due to high winds and excess snow ... they will invariably open the Rhonaz drag, which gets you over to Villaroger - the high lifts being closed it is the only way. And since it is hidden in the woods, and few know about it, means acres of people-free skiing. Bliss, heaven on earth , etc.
A small word of warning about the busses: because they are so convenient, on bad weather days they are also very popular. I guess you can't expect one without the other.

We love 1950 - that's why we bought an apartment there. I wouldn't swap it for any other village in the domain, and very few other domains either. Possibly Vail...? nah, second thoughts, why bother: 1950 does it for us. See you there!

AR
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Arctic Roll, I have the same thoughts about 1600. Very friendly, very convienient and half the price of 1950. I love it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, I 'discovered' 1600 this summer - and I can see your point - even with 10 years in the domain in the winter, I'd never seen as much of your village proper (there being no good reason to ski further than the bottom of the main lifts). Very nice summer atmosphere. - you've done alright there.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arctic Roll, The Cairn or the Panorama restaurants are great places to sit outside of looking at the view over the Isere valley during the summer or winter. Unlike the UK the staff shake your hand as you enter (kisses for the ladies) and chat for a short while before serving you. When the village shop still had a butchers the butcher would shake your hand before asking you what you wanted and serving you. I think he still finds it funny how I ordered half a kilo of shoulder of lamb (he runs the bakers/coffe shop now).

If you want a cheep, good lunch then it often worthwhile dropping down below the lifts in 1600.

I suspect for frequent visitors it is the same in Arc 1950.
snow report
@johnE, Panorama has always been a favourite, summer or winter (going back to when it was the 3 Arcs, and next door) - v. close to the lifts. But wandering / cycling into the village square was a revelation. Will try to do a bit more of it this winter!
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, we were at Arc 2000 last easter and liked it so much we're back again this easter. You mentioned the Rhonaz drag for getting to Villaroger if the higher lifts are closed and as you suggested it is not well known, took me a few minutes to find it on the piste map Blush
How do you get to it as the map suggests the slope is from it to the bottom of Comborciere i.e. wrong direction?
Also once you then get to Villaroger, how do you get back to Arc 1950/2000?
Thanks, Llew
snow report
@Llew, you have to ski /walk across the road (depending if they are your skis or rentals...) just past Combourciere. Then ski down a little track to the gully where the lift starts.

The other option (which we've done) when things look potentially crowded (you can't see the lift or the queue from the road so sometimes you have to take a punt on wait times - it will at least say on the signage @ Combourciere if it is open) is to walk up the track past the sled dog kennels; then fork left after about 300 yds. Takes you to the top of the drag. Not a huge walk, even in boots, but neither is it downhill!

You get back by skiing from the top of Solliet/bottom of the Droset lift on the blue, and then forking off to Pre St Esprit on the - I think it is the first but may be the second - hairpin. It is signed. Again, you come in past the sled dogs. If you miss the turning you go back to Solliet and start again... so the advice is not to miss it! A cat-track, not the fastest, but certainly pretty.

HTH
latest report
@selly_skier,
We used Spirit in 1950 last year even though we stayed in 2000. (Residence Chalet Des Neiges La Cime Des Arcs booked through http://en.ski-planet.com/ as cheaper than booking direct)
Our daughter was very happy with them and I thought they all seemed enthusiastic with what they were doing.
We were advised that they would likely have more British kids compared to ESF, although last Easter it seemed that the French schools were not on holidays and therefore the whole of the resort seemed to be full of British.

I'm looking to book the same again.
http://www.spirit1950.com/welcome
snow conditions
@selly_skier, My best week skiing was based at 1950 at the end of March a few years ago. Hopefully last year's weather was an exception. I don't remember many years where the conditions were so sketchy from beginning to end of season in that part of the Alps. It should be fine, but you can never be 100% sure. +1 for Spirit. They're really good.
snow conditions
Quote:

and therefore the whole of the resort seemed to be full of British.

Arc 1950 is largely a British resort
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy