Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted, topic for ski newsletter

Poster: A snowHead
Do you have any ideas for a forth article – aimed at the beginner or lower intermediate level?

We’ll be sending out our autumn newsletter next week and I’m still 1 article down. We only send out 2 newsletter a year (spring and autumn) which go out to over 15,000 people and we really do try and make them “non sales pitch”, or they would just be spam.

Normally the newsletter contains 4 brief articles and I only have 3 at the moment:
What’s your ski length
Whiteout v Flat light
Your ski jacket explained

We hope the articles are interesting and provide at little information – although of course they are written with the beginner or lower intermediate in mind, as we imagine that experienced skiers will already have an in-depth knowledge about these subjects.

Any ideas will be welcome
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What have you previously covered?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about "Sidecut and how a ski turns?". (When I was a pretty rubbish early intermediate, it helped me enormously to understand a little of the physics of a ski and what I was endeavouring to get it to do).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about 'How to spell fourth'?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like @Perty's suggestion. When I was a ski host, I used to explain that once or twice a week and am amazed that even quite experienced skiers had no idea what they were trying to do with the skis, nor why... Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Lisa, I'm not really finding any of these articles very inspiring. Summer is officially over and many of us are now starting to look forward to skiing again. If I were you I'd be trying to write articles that inspire and engage with the readers, maybe the kind of thing they might start discussing on the forum or forwarding to their friends. I'd also try and make them relevant to MdC in some way otherwise why are you sending them? and why would anyone subscribe to your newsletter?

I'm not great at coming up with ideas for this kind of thing but I'd be thinking of things like:

- The El Nino effect and what it might mean for this year's snow in the Dolomites
- Why the Dolomites are the perfect location for Intermediates learning to Carve
- The Romance of skiing MdC
- There's more off piste skiing in the Dolomites than you might realise
- Our favourite Dolomite ski videos
- Slope side restaurants with the best views

etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1 wrote:
What have you previously covered?

Last year our topics were
How to put on snow chains
Why do you feel cold (bet you’ve never heard of TRP channels)
What’s the best lens colour for goggles
The best Fondue
Italian coffee
What colour is snow (BTW it’s blue) and why
Skiing over ice
How “do” you cook pasta
Socks for skiing
The 10 rules of skiing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How to boil an egg at altitude - (It was my reason for finding snowheads)
Why private transfers from and to airports are the way to go despite the price.
Why servicing ski's is good
How to choose the correct instruction for Your holiday

I also like the sidecut idea and was going to suggest it but thought I'd ask what You'd already covered.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As its autumn and approaching a new season, how about a 6-week countdown 'Get Fit to Ski' programme?
Cheesy title? "I feel the knees - the knees for speed" or "From couch to Cuche in 6 weeks"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about a 'Driving to the Alps' article, and a checklist of things to do before you leave, such as V5C, copy of insurance, filling-up with pure screenwash, and the perennial tyres and chains discussion.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What I've noticed is those skiers who are beginner/low intermediates are often impressed by awful skiing. But because they themselves haven't yet learnt the art of leaning right forward bending the knees and carving, they are often impressed by what I call 'Bum wiggling' - straight legs, arms held out the side and the skis (somehow) controlled by the weight of the wiggling bum... becuase they see this guy skiing around they think 'Hey look, he's skiing without doing all these things my instructor is telling me - he must be good' Shocked that's a massive negatory right there....!

It would be good to begin to educate the beginner/low ints about the bio mechanics of skiing in a simple way and how although it's a much harder thing to grasp with weight forward, carving, knees bent it truly is amazing how many people actually get knee bending wrong.

More often than not when talking to guests about their day i hear them complaining that they couldn't control their skis properly or that their thighs are REALLY achy - when I say to them show me how you ski they show me a leaning back position. I say, bend your knees more and lean forward in your boots - the automatic thing i see ALL the time is waist bending, somehow Begs/early ints seem to 'forget' there is a knee joint in there. So being bent at the waist while STILL holding their leg leverage back in the form of unbent knees is an extremely common thing and something I think a lot of people could really benefit from learning the difference. Put the knee joint over the big toe and lean in to the front of the boot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"Why do my thighs ache" (picking up some of the points above)

"Winter holidays for non-skiers"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quite right - that should THRASH the fun out of the process.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'Hiring the correct kit'
'Essential suitcase items'
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Easy fitness program to prepare for a ski trip. Too often, beginners don't have the fitness level to graduate to the next level. Sore muscles take them out of the game early in a trip, discouraging them and their cohorts.
snow conditions
Ettiquette and safety on the slopes?
snow conditions
@ster, +1
ski holidays
Winter Tyres

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Helmets Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
1. The pros, cons, usual price advantages and ease of booking a DIY ski hol.

2. Non-mainstream ski areas/resorts that are generally off the UK skier's radar.
ski holidays
Quote:

What colour is snow (BTW it’s blue)

How daft. For sure it can appear to be blue but it is pretty much uniformly white because it reflects visible light, also white.
latest report
Quote:

Whiteout v Flat light

Surely that should be blueout?
snow report
Thanks for all the suggestions. Rob from InsideOut skiing has volunteered to write a piece about ski lessons (I'm not sure what Rob's nickname is on here).

This newsletter will have these articles:

Your ski jacket explained
What length should your skis be
What’s the different: Flat-Light / White-Out
All about Coffee
Do I “really” need ski lessons

You can get it by signing up here (we absolutely promise not to send out Spam)
www.brentaski.com/mail

Pruman wrote:

How daft. For sure it can appear to be blue but it is pretty much uniformly white because it reflects visible light, also white.

Are you sure
Puzzled
latest report
Lisa_BrentaSki wrote:
(I'm not sure what Rob's nickname is on here).
Generally it's rob@rar although I'll answer to most things Happy
snow conditions
I'm sure David Goldmith/comedy Goldsmith/ Karl Marx etc could sell you a few articles e.g. The importance of Avalanche cords rolling eyes
latest report
Scrumpy wrote:
I'm sure David Goldmith/comedy Goldsmith/ Karl Marx etc could sell you a few articles e.g. The importance of multiple forum identities to avoid being on the ignore list rolling eyes

FIFY
snow report
@Pruman, the trees outside my train reflect visible light, but they sure look green...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 4-09-15 16:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hi
Re ski articles. I believe there are enough generic type articles on equipment choice etc. with copy paste manufacturers info
I find articles on individual/people more interesting, why they chose those skis, that resort, lessons, jacket.
I realise it will be subjective taste, although it is interesting who goes for what based on age experience, wallet size.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A good generic topic is "a day in the life of", it can be a ski instructor, chalet host, guide, piste security, boot fitter etc. you could run a series.
snow conditions
Lisa_BrentaSki wrote:
Wanted, topic for ski newsletter

Googled one for you !

ski holidays
Goggles or sunglasses? Goggles
This is how you carry skis - a clear photomontage showing "the local" with a clear tick and any thing else with a cross - Texas suitcase, bazooka, girlfriend, decapitator, packhorse etc

Though to be honest I'm fairly intrigued by Your Ski Jacket Explained.
latest report
@Lisa_BrentaSki, How about "how not to run out of petrol on the transfer to your ski hotel"
ski holidays
David.Googlesmith, That made me laugh. Excellent.

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Though to be honest I'm fairly intrigued by Your Ski Jacket Explained.

Here a first copy. It's not been spellchecked yet though. http://www.brentaski.com/mail/Autumn_2015_newsletter.pdf
Don't forget the articles are written for people who are maybe new to skiing. I would think people on here would already know everything that we put in the newsletters.
ski holidays
The Spring Newsletter is now available for download.

The Ice On Your Ski Boot was suggested by a SH (who is also a BASI member) - enjoy

In this edition:
    News - This winter over 25,00 have watched our live video Snow Reports from the slopes
    News - The Personal Performance Course are so popular (almost fully booked all winter), they will be back next year
Plus
How much should your child's school ski trip "really" cost?
    Our new 4* hotel in Folgarida
    Why does ice form on the bottom of your ski boots?
    How does an Air Bag Rucksack really work?

Download here

http://www.brentaski.com/mail/index.aspx

Don't worry it's free Very Happy
ski holidays
How to get out of (or expand) your comfort zone
How to Pick the right instructor
Maximizing your ski lessons
check out http://www.skischoolpros.com/how-to-maximize-your-ski-snowboard-lessons/
snow report
Lisa_BrentaSki wrote:
The Spring Newsletter is now available for download.

The Ice On Your Ski Boot was suggested by a SH (who is also a BASI member) - enjoy

In this edition:
    News - This winter over 25,00 have watched our live video Snow Reports from the slopes
    News - The Personal Performance Course are so popular (almost fully booked all winter), they will be back next year
Plus
How much should your child's school ski trip "really" cost?
    Our new 4* hotel in Folgarida
    Why does ice form on the bottom of your ski boots?
    How does an Air Bag Rucksack really work?

Download here

http://www.brentaski.com/mail/index.aspx

Don't worry it's free Very Happy

Hi Lisa

Have tried a few times on different days to subscribe to your mailing list but keep getting an error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<Web>

<configuration>
<system>
<customErrors>
</system>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<Web>

<configuration>
<system>
<customErrors>
</system>
</configuration>
snow report
Based on popular snowheads topics then;
Helmets
Car Travel to the Alps
Tyres
Routes
Car prep
Insurance
Kids
Resort selection
Ski selection
Boot problems
Ski lessons
What level am I
How to get the most from
Fitness
Injuries
Weather

That should keep you going.
snow report
Skis and boots. Rent or own?

Race to the Alps. Flying vs driving
snow report
ster wrote:
Have tried a few times on different days to subscribe to your mailing list but keep getting an error:

Thanks for letting us know.

John (IT) has fixed it now
ski holidays
Laughing Now this answer really does look like spam. But it's not meant to, just trying to answer as best I can.

Most tour operators (not just us) now have lots and lots of information on their website.
These are just some examples from ours, there are loads more like, Crystal, Thompsons, Mark Warner, etc.

jbob wrote:
Based on popular snowheads topics then;

jbob wrote:
Helmets
See here https://www.brentaski.com/blog/index.html "should I wear a ski helmet"
jbob wrote:
Car Travel to the Alps
see here http://www.brentaski.com/pages/page_self_drive.html
jbob wrote:
Tyres

jbob wrote:
Routes
see here http://www.brentaski.com/pages/page_self_drive.html click "Get route plan"
jbob wrote:
Car prep
I like this idea, we'll look at this
jbob wrote:
Insurance
we are not allowed to advise on this, sorry
jbob wrote:
Kids
see here http://www.brentaski.com/pages/skiing_children_holiday.html
jbob wrote:
Resort selection
are there other resorts ?
jbob wrote:
Ski selection
see here https://www.brentaski.com/mail/index.aspx (then download previous newsletter and view ski advice)
jbob wrote:
Boot problems
- yes, good suggestion.
jbob wrote:
Ski lessons
see here https://www.brentaski.com/mail/index.aspx (then download previous newsletter and view "do I need ski lessons")
jbob wrote:
What level am I
see here https://www.brentaski.com/pages/skiing_what_is_my_ski_grade.html
jbob wrote:
How to get the most from
Good suggestion
jbob wrote:
Fitness
Good suggestion
jbob wrote:
Injuries
Not sure about this one
jbob wrote:
Weather
see here https://www.brentaski.com/pages/weather_forecast_folgarida_madonna_di_campiglio.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy