Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2015 - 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Some more minor developments around Arc 1800 beginning to take shape. The ESF snow-garden is seeing some changes, including a new chalet, some earth works to increase the size of the snow-garden and a covered magic carpet is being installed. Also being installed is another magic carpet which will make it easier to walk (actually, ride) up to the facility from the snowfront.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know it's early days yet, but hoping the forecast for the weekend is accurate Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know it's early days yet, but hoping the forecast for the weekend is accurate Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been looking at the forecast for a while and it looks like the snow will be dropping at the weekend. Its also forecast to be very cold as well so the ground should freeze helping the base layer. Fab start to the season. The downside is that I'm in Arc at the weekend doing some apartment cleaning and throwing stuff out ready for my furniture to arrive on the 11th Dec. Snow isnt ideal for driving to and from the decheterie. I'll probably do one trip and sit and watch the snow for a while smiling like an idiot. SImple pleasures
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ground won't freeze like we would like. It will be insulated by the snow that will fall with onset of cold. Thereafter the stability of the base will depend on how thick the snowpack is. If there is a metre over a few days we might be ok (as long as it keeps getting topped up) but if no more than 30-50cm it won't be long transforming into faceted crystals
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Time for an update! Just posted photos of most of the work going on in Les Arcs over on the Les Arcs Winter page. Take a look. Remember all photos during the season are posted on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page as I find uploading photos here takes a lot of time. Maybe admin could make a direct way to upload photos as there was once before.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

The cachette piste is almost finished.
The New chair to the Arpette Ridge looks nearly done. Not comfirmed that it will open for start of season yet.
The Gondola connecting Arc 1800 and Edenarc is finished.
The new piste connecting mid station of Transarc and Arc 1600 lower blue piste is finished. This means you can get from top of Derby back to Arc 1600 without any other lifts. It is even possible to get from top of Peisey chair back to Arc 1600 without any other lifts if you do some off piste on the way.
The piste down from the top of the Arpette ridge to Arc 2000 bowl is almost finished.
The Millie 8 lodge area is progressing well.
Kids area nearly finished.
The new Altiport Bar looks great. Hope the service will be as good!
The free bus will run again this season between Arc 1800 and Peisey Vallandry (timings similar to last season).
All other buses and Funicular running to same times as last season they are saying right now.

Think that is about it for now. I will post more as I get any other news.

Finally, they say it will start snowing tomorrow and continue for a few days!! HOPE SO!!

Take a look at all the new photos in the Autumn 2015 album and see what the new developments in Les Arcs look like without any snow.

After the predicted snow this weekend I will post again. Fingers crossed this is now the beginning of the winter!

Update: Have now edited this post on a real computer. It has been raining all day in the valley and I have been told it is snowing up top. Now let us hope tonight as it get's colder that the snow line drops! Will post again later in the weekend.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 20-11-15 19:38; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I hate this tablet thing. Sorry for the double post. Cannot seem to edit it right now.

@ipken, if you fancy getting out in the white stuff while you are here. I plan to get up the hill if enough falls to make some fresh tracks. Drop me a message if you are interested. Or anyone else out that might be reading this.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowcrazy, great update.

Do you know who owns the new Altiport Bar? Be nice of the prices for a quick coffee stop don't "harmonise" with those at the Arpette restaurant.

Do you know what is happening to the race Stade above 1800? I think the new Tranverse piste from the TranArc mid station to the Belvedere piste will cut across the Stade, which seems a little bit mad if they are going to continue to use the Stade for race training.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar, Traffic lights Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wills_h wrote:
@rob@rar, Traffic lights Laughing

Game of Chicken Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, I'll make sure the less senior members of our group go first, they'll bounce! Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not wanting to jinx things, but from the web cam it looks to be snowing pretty hard at the top of the Trans Arc. Although not any lower than that yet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, I am not sure why they would want that Stade and the new Cachette race piste so I assume it will be abandoned.

I must admit I for one am glad that there is another way across to Arc 1600 instead of that tedious ski down to Arc1800. Thinking about it if I had sufficient time I used to take the Reynard lift then down to Ours or Combourciere to avoid it.

I am really looking forward to the new season, but experience has taught me to never get excited by snow in November. Perhaps I will visit Mile8 this year, and of course sample the new Aliport
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

experience has taught me to never get excited by snow in November

Last season did somewhat reinforce that.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I am really looking forward to the new season, but experience has taught me to never get excited by snow in November.

Agreed but given this time in 4 weeks I will be preparing to drive out I am liking the meteo of Whiteout Whiteout Whiteout, freeze level 2700m > 0m!

Very Happy snowHead Cool
snow report
@Layne, This time in 4 weeks I should be about 2 hours past Calais and I can't frickin wait!
snow report
johnE wrote:
I am not sure why they would want that Stade and the new Cachette race piste so I assume it will be abandoned.
Yes, I'd guess that's the plan, although the top half of the 1800 Stade is a bit gentler than the Cachette Stade, so perhaps better for the less experienced racers. However, simply can't see a piste crossing a race stade as a possibility, so scrapping it seems like the only option.

johnE wrote:
I must admit I for one am glad that there is another way across to Arc 1600 instead of that tedious ski down to Arc1800.
Ditto. My place is in the Chantel part of 1800 and it was always a pain to have to go down to the 1800 snow front to catch a lift back up when travelling back home. With that new piste I think I can ski home from almost everywhere in Les Arcs (except Villaroger) with just one ride on a lift.

johnE wrote:
I am really looking forward to the new season, but experience has taught me to never get excited by snow in November. Perhaps I will visit Mile8 this year, and of course sample the new Aliport
Snow in late November followed by a cold forecast is usually a good thing. Providing we don't see an unseasonably warm spell in the first couple of week of December I'd say this snowfall over the next few days will help get the resort open on time, and hopefully reasonable coverage on piste.

I'm taking my nieces (9 & 12) to Les Arcs for Easter, they'll love Mille8 and will be mightily amused by the waterslide at the Altiport Happy
ski holidays
@rob@rar,
Quote:

I'm taking my nieces (9 & 12) to Les Arcs for Easter, they'll love Mille8 and will be mightily amused by the waterslide at the Altiport Happy

I trust you are a good uncle and will take some dry clothes for them to change into afterwards
latest report
Quote:

With that new piste I think I can ski home from almost everywhere in Les Arcs (except Villaroger) with just one ride on a lift.

I will still need 2 from Vallandry, but the skiing will be better Smile
snow conditions
[quote="rob@rar"]
johnE wrote:

My then 5 year old daughter loved watching the waterslide. We stayed almoost 3/4 of an hour watching everyone try it - thankfully she has not suggested I try it........... yet
snow conditions
Update: It has been raining all day in the valley and I have been told it is snowing up top. Now let us hope tonight as it get's colder that the snow line drops! Will post again later in the weekend.

@johnE, If I remember correctly, you are in Arc 1600. With a bit of cutting corners and crossing pistes you should be able to get back to your place with just the Vallandry lift now. It will be fun trying to find new route options.

@rob@rar, The owner of the Altiport is still the same guy as last year as far as I know. Trouble is I also fear he will now increase the prices and then it will not be the same hang out it use to be. Hope I am wrong.

The Race stade in Arc 1800 will continue, but in a different way. Top half and Bottom half with the piste crossing the middle. This is the same as on the Cachette Race piste over in Arc 1600.

When they need to use the full length course on either the Race piste in Arc 1600 or in Arc 1800 they will have people there to allow you to cross between runs of the racers. Best avoided on full race days unless you go to watch the races as well.

When conditions are suitable the Arc 1800 ESF will still do their training on the Arc 1800 stade. It is mostly for youngsters and Junior races. The main Cachette race piste is to difficult for that level and will be used by the ski etude kids and the national team guys or FIS training and races.

For me it is very sad that another fun off piste area goes to the dogs! Now everyone will know how to get to the nice tree area when the vis is bad by just dropping off the side of the piste. Progress, not sure myself! But guess most people will be happy with the changes.
rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
@rob@rar, be good to catch up at Easter - we're there from 26th - 8th so a reasonable chance to bump into you and yours.

Also its 'boys week' in Jan - 16th to 23rd for anyone around: we're based in 1950 - aka "Georges"!
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

I trust you will be doing demos first?
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

I trust you will be doing demos first?

If there was ever a time for a demo-monkey, that would be it!

Arctic Roll, we're there 2nd to the 9th, so will catch up.
ski holidays
Been snowing most of last night higher up with snowline around Arc 1600. See photos on Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Since lunchtime the snowline has dropped and right now it is snowing lightly in the valley with it settling a little although very wet. If it stays cold tonight we should wake up to white everyehere. Very nice!

Hope to get out on the mountain tomorrow if the vis is ok! More news tomorrow.
snow conditions
Arc 1950 webcams showing niiiiiicee pictures this morming!

http://www.arc1950.com/en/live-from-the-village-webcams-weather.html
ski holidays
As can be seen from the webcams. The snow did make it to the valley floor this morning. Went out on the hill, but the snow although nice to see was very wet and I did not get the skis on. I am sure a few people went higher up and found better snow. Had a nice hike and managed a few photos. Will post them later on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

Hope it stays cold and we get more snow to start making a base. Still very thin.

Back in the office Monday but hope to get out on the snow again next weekend. Anyone around this week, please keep us posted about conditions. Will post again when I have more news.
snow report
@snowcrazy, thanks for the updates. Late Jan for me in Les Arcs this year - maybe bump into you in the bar of La Cachette again?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chrisb, I will be there in late Jan next year - but just for a weekend. Oddly enougth I have never visited the bar of the Cachette - my usual haunt is the Abrevoir
latest report
As I sit on another dreary conference call watching a basher smooth out all the lovely fresh snow at the top of Arcabuelle I think Fitzwilliams, Fitzwilliams, Fitzwilliams.
snow report
@snowcrazy, thanks for the invite which I've only just seen. Weekend was frantic throwing stuff out and cleaning as new furniture arrives on next trip, 10th then out on the 19th by car for christmas and new year with all the skis and boards and kit for the season.
Seeing the snow come down was fantastic and has certainly increased my eagerness to get out
Strayed out into Charvet and Villard on saturday night and found some of the bars open so enjoyed a few beers making sunday a late start but at least I managed 10 mins sleep on the plane back !
Some decent sized queues at the swiss border both ways but they moved quickly as it was random checks and not everyone.
latest report
@johnE, which weekend? I'll be out at the same time as chrisb - you never know, we might all meet up! At least I hope I'll meet up with chrisb as I think I'm sharing a room with him snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
@SteveM, I will go out the evening of the 28th and return on the evening of the 31st
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@SteveM, I will go out the evening of the 28th and return on the evening of the 31st
Ah, we'll be there on the 29th and then departing on the 30th .....
latest report
@SteveM, looking forward to it Toofy Grin
snow report
Hey all, Having recently binned off the chalet company me and Mr Mountain Addiction have opted for a season in the Paradiski.

Hit me with what's cracking in the area...
snow report
@SteveM, @chrisb, Where are you staying?
latest report
@johnE, we are in La Cachette in 1600.
snow conditions
chrisb wrote:
@SteveM, looking forward to it Toofy Grin
+1 Very Happy
snow report
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/picture-galleries/12001629/best-ski-mountain-restaurants.html?frame=3503222

Well done L'Ancolie!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy