Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2015 - 2016

Poster: A snowHead
@jslatch, wind is more of a concern than snow, and the wind doesnt look too bad but itll feel chilly in the breeze. And id not take much stock in any snow forecast that far out tbh,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
5 Feb 2016. Powder days just keep on coming!

Today started with some easy powder on the way to the Vanoise Express and meeting up with the others for a tour on the other side for their last day.

Went straight up from Les coches and after some really nice powder fields had a great lunch in the sun looking over to Courchevel.

Then back through more side routes to my first big queue for Feb on the Arpette Chair out of Bellecote La Plagne.

Finally back to the Vanoise Express through the forest and still more good snow.

Once back in Les Arcs down to the Transarc and over to George's for a well earned beer after some great skiing in mostly untracked powder all day!

See you again soon! Been a great few weeks!

Photos for today will be posted shortly in the Feb 2016 album over on the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.965448303531636.1073741859.195692797173861&type=3

For those coming out, the pistes are in great condition everywhere and the piste natures are really fun. With loads more snow forecast, as long as the weather gives the sunny spells as well you should have a great week. I just hope it is not to windy.

If you are driving out tomorrow you need to be prepared for long delays as demonstrations and road closures are expected around Moutiers. Oh! the French workers are so much fun!

You are also likely to need snow chains by late afternoon as the roads are still quite tricky coming into resorts.

Hope you all get here safely and look forward to skiing with some of you over the coming holiday weeks!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the plan for the final day was to spend the morning in les Arcs and work our way back to la Plagne to finish out the holiday.
Best laid plans & all that. We got a bit distracted on the way over to Arpette and ended up in Arc 1600 on lots of pistes that were devoid of skiers and a couple that hadn't been skied on at all (That area has been quiet all week with few if any queues). Needless to say we took advantage of the empty runs before popping over into 1950 for an excellent lunch in Luigi's and a few laps of the grand col before heading back over to la Plagne via a couple of trips down les bosses.
We never did get to ski in la Plagne today, but had a great final day nonetheless, finishing up with the obligatory libation in le Joli Bois (aka "Vanoise vin chaud") although today was too hot for their excellent white vin chaud but a cold beer certainly hit the spot.
All in all a great week here right across Paradiski. Sorry to be heading home, but all the best to those out next week and for the rest of the season.
Happy days, but thoughts & prayers are with the Clayton family.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
4.45am! Ouch! When you add the time from door to door you could probably drive home. We have only driven once but we are North of glasgow, but we were adding up your hours and thinking we could be more than halfway home!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gilly28, yes, once on Malgovert there is no way out. Toofy Grin

But each section is quite short, with room to stop as you complete each "quest". In fact, it is very much like a platform video game.
And you are imagining "trees and steep" as being like a forest. No, they are just scattered, occasionally, throughout the 'piste'.

Go-on, you know you want to. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowcrazy, hi, great reports from Les arcs! I'm struggling to find a private lesson for my two children with the Ski schools from Feb 14th. Do you know of any independent instructors? Thanks!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Found Malgovert by chance after getting lost and taking the wrong lift! I love it when things like this happen when skiing, Mrs Seahoob saw the sign which she recognised from her Snoowheads searches, it was a really fantastic little challenge with spectacular views as well. After that we skiid all the way down to Villaroger, came back up and did Malgovert again. On the way home via Combe above Plan Peisey we saw a spectacular, massive bird of prey circling above the trees. A passing skier said it was a Golden Eagle but after checking my Collins Guide I dont think so. Are there any birders here who might know what it was?
Back home now after one of my best weeks in 25 years skiing Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Seahoob,

The bird I suspect is the Bearded Vulture aka bone crusher,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearded_vulture

I see one regularly in the valley between Ste Foy and Tignes I suspect it would be the same one .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I saw that bird too! What a great way to finish off the week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gilly28 wrote:
4.45am! Ouch! When you add the time from door to door you could probably drive home. We have only driven once but we are North of glasgow, but we were adding up your hours and thinking we could be more than halfway home!!

Yep, only just got home after suffering the Geneva charter flight area and delays due to fog in Geneva and wind at Gatwick, I will definitely be doing d.i.y after that experience, only tried it once before. So tired and depressed that I am not still in Les Arcs Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rob Mackley, Cheers I've been researching this all afternoon and i'm sure you are right. I am really pleased to have seen such a rare bird.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Minion1980,

Aye, it sucks.

Glad you had a good week tho!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Didn't realise Lammergeier's inhabited the Alps, I've seen definitely 1, possibly 2 (very far off) in the Pyrenees between Vignemale and Gavernie.

They're cool beasts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Piemonster
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tonysherborne, Welcome to snowHead

Try http://www.johnpaulmccarthy.com/
He used to work for NewGen & started on his own this year - maybe he'd have some availability
ski holidays
Thank you!
snow conditions
@Seahoob,

I seem to remember their may be one that lives around the North Face of Bellcote and certinally one hanging out between Ste Foy and Tignes .
Seen one in the summer all you could hear were the noise of the Marmots going mental !

Reintroduced in 2006
snow conditions
We are staying in arcs 1600 from 13/2 for a week & just wondering about which ski pass to get. We are good skiers but thinking there looks plenty to do on les arcs pass without bothering paying for the whole paradiski pass particularly as it looks a bit of a trek to get over to the vanoise express from arcs 1600. Can anyone offer us any advice on this?
Thanks
ski holidays
6 Feb 2016. More fresh untracked powder in the Bellecote bowl and on the North Face with an interesting couloir to finish!

Today was another day for fresh tracks, few people and some challenging skiing at times.

After a fast ski across Les Arcs on and off piste with my usual warm up on the way I met the others at the Vanoise Express and as it was Saturday we headed over to the Bellecote. (Change over days are always great!)

The Traverse chair was closed again today so had to hike up to get into the Bellecote bowl. Found some excellent powder and very few people! Then round again and ANOTHER! hike back up! This time onto the North Face and the Canadian Couloir followed by a second and far less skied couloir.

The first couloir had great powder and still room for fresh tracks and not really that difficult with good snow! The second couloir was challenging!! with soft snow over an icy cruddy base! Some of us enjoyed this more than others as it was rather steep!

Then a fast ski down the side of the river and finally back to Les Arcs. A late lunch then home in time to watch the Rugby!

A really fun day with great snow most of the time. If the numbers arriving in the afternoon are any indication then the coming week will be busy.

Right now there is plenty of snow 'on and off' piste and you can get around the whole area without difficulty with a layer of fresher snow on a hard firm base.

The weather is changing again with high winds outside right now. Shall have to see tomorrow if conditions have been affected by these winds! They promise more snow is on the way!

Photos from today will be posted shortly in the February 2016 album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

@tonysherborne, Could be really hard now at such short notice. If I hear of anyone that is free I will let you know.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 6-02-16 23:59; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Arctic Roll wrote:

But each section is quite short, with room to stop as you complete each "quest". In fact, it is very much like a platform video game.
And you are imagining "trees and steep" as being like a forest. No, they are just scattered, occasionally, throughout the 'piste'.

Oh! Does sound good now!! Ok it will be on the radar should we do the easter trip - likely unless the snow is really bad! Also might manage the water thingy- well for the son and perhaps daft dad, but not me! Before we go though need to get a clear route to get from Les Coches area to Malgovert, water thing and also 2000(just coz we had an Easter there many moons ago as a couple and would be nice to revisit Smile but when we went to montchavin a few years back we headed over to Les arcs area but we weren't sure of times and routes etc so couldn't risk it. Son now 8, nearly 9, few years older, faster skier, so will be ok on that point, so just the route, but I'll ask the question again nearer time.
latest report
Arctic Roll wrote:

Oh! Does sound good now!! Ok it will be on the radar should we do the easter trip - likely unless the snow is really bad! Also might manage the water thingy- well for the son and perhaps daft dad, but not me! Before we go though need to get a clear route to get from Les Coches area to Malgovert, water thing and also 2000(just coz we had an Easter there many moons ago as a couple and would be nice to revisit Smile but when we went to montchavin a few years back we headed over to Les arcs area but we weren't sure of times and routes etc so couldn't risk it. Son now 8, nearly 9, few years older, faster skier, so will be ok on that point, so just the route, but I'll ask the question again nearer time.
snow report
@blizt,
I think most LA regulars would recommend the "Decouverte" pass - which give you one day in LP. You're right, there is plenty to do on 'our' side of the mountain, but it is nice for a little peek at what else is available.

Getting from 1600 to the Vanoise is no big deal, a couple of lifts will do it: and there are many ways to do just that - I can think of 10 combinations, (Cachettes or Mont Blanc, followed by Arpette, Carreley, Vagere, TransArc1 or Chamotteger). In fact, you can do it with just one uplift, but you'd need to keep high at certain points, and its quite a boring track ride then...
snow report
@Gilly28, so, lifts to go on:
Vanoise, Piesey, TransArc 1,2 - ski down into 2000. Have a coffee stop. Carry on down to:
Combourciere, and do Malgovert run.
Finish down the Mont Blanc run, and take Cachettes, followed by Arpette to get to top of water slide.
Complete it without getting wet, and then, as above, any one of 5 lifts to give you enough height to enjoy getting back to the Vanoise.

If water sliding do think about dry clothes. I've skied back to 1950 (just one lift) after a thorough drenching (and ego-deflation: see
http://youtube.com/v/1sO_By0Jt4g ) and it was about as far as I wanted to go - even in the sunshine. Overnight boot drying was quite important too...
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
6 Feb 2016. More fresh untracked powder in the Bellecote bowl and on the North Face with an interesting couloir to finish!

Today was another day for fresh tracks, few people and some challenging skiing at times.

After a fast ski across Les Arcs on and off piste with my usual warm up on the way I met the others at the Vanoise Express and as it was Saturday we headed over to the Bellecote. (Change over days are always great!)

The Traverse chair was closed again today so had to hike up to get into the Bellecote bowl. Found some excellent powder and very few people! Then round again and ANOTHER! hike back up! This time onto the North Face and the Canadian Couloir followed by a second and far less skied couloir.

The first couloir had great powder and still room for fresh tracks and not really that difficult with good snow! The second couloir was challenging!! with soft snow over an icy cruddy base! Some of us enjoyed this more than others as it was rather steep!

Then a fast ski down the side of the river and finally back to Les Arcs. A late lunch then home in time to watch the Rugby!

A really fun day with great snow most of the time. If the numbers arriving in the afternoon are any indication then the coming week will be busy.

Right now there is plenty of snow 'on and off' piste and you can get around the whole area without difficulty with a layer of fresher snow on a hard firm base.

The weather is changing again with high winds outside right now. Shall have to see tomorrow if conditions have been affected by these winds! They promise more snow is on the way!

Photos from today will be posted shortly in the February 2016 album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

@tonysherborne, Could be really hard now at such short notice. If I hear of anyone that is free I will let you know.

Did Mr Retro not believe in carrying Avi gear Chris? (Not trying to cause trouble - just noticed in the pictures no backpack etc)
ski holidays
Hi tim well spotted. I new someone would. He had a transciever and due to his special circumstances we allowed him to come, but only this once. Even my rules have to be flexiable when really needed and the rest of us all had full kit including abs so we could find and dig him out if needed, but yes it was a risk. Not something I would allow or repeat with those I go with normally. It was a great day and the routes we did felt safe although you can never say never about a slide as we all know.
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
Hi tim well spotted. I new someone would. He had a transciever and due to his special circumstances we allowed him to come, but only this once. Even my rules have to be flexiable when really needed and the rest of us all had full kit including abs so we could find and dig him out if needed, but yes it was a risk. Not something I would allow or repeat with those I go with normally. It was a great day and the routes we did felt safe although you can never say never about a slide as we all know.

Fair enough, I know how stringent you are - and with good reason. Thanks for the explanation!
latest report
Quote:

I think most LA regulars would recommend the "Decouverte" pass - which give you one day in LP. You're right, there is plenty to do on 'our' side of the mountain, but it is nice for a little peek at what else is available.

Getting from 1600 to the Vanoise is no big deal, a couple of lifts will do it: and there are many ways to do just that - I can think of 10 combinations, (Cachettes or Mont Blanc, followed by Arpette, Carreley, Vagere, TransArc1 or Chamotteger). In fact, you can do it with just one uplift, but you'd need to keep high at certain points, and its quite a boring track ride then...

Thanks for the advice Arctic Roll
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, You need 2 lifts to get from Arc1600 to the Vanoise express and there are indeed lots of combinations of these lifts. Personally I usually get the Cachette (well actually I start on the Combettes lift because I am lazy and cannot be bothered to walk through the village) then cruise down Belvedere to the Grizzly. And at which point more often or not end up saying "this is rather nice" and don't get the Vanoise Express at all.

With the exception of the Villaroger area I think everywhere else in Les Arcs is one lift from the Vanoise Express.

Anyway, I am not now returning to Les Arcs until Easter. I rather miss sitting in the Abrevoir listening to live music nursing a beer or two, never mind the skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, Jusgt got around to watching your water splash video - brilliant. Are you now going to have a go on the airbag. I fancy giving it a try but it has been 15 years since I last did a somersault.
snow report
Just a few pictures from Friday, as you can see the weather was perfect.

Top of the Bellecote bubble looking towards I think the Three Valley's.

Powder on the piste of Lanche ronde, yes that is the piste! Most of those tracks are mine, no one else was riding it weirdly! I did get up there before the hordes I guess.

Mont Blanc viewed from the top of the Roche De Mio bubble

Mont Blanc again but this time from the top of Aiguille Rouge, had to crop some random out of the bottom right corner

ski holidays
7 Feb 2016. Powder again, but also windy at times and more snow!

Another fun day in the powder, first from the top of the Roch de Mio and then down through the cliffs to the Bauches Chair. As the light started to fade we headed into the forest and down to Les Coches.

Back up top into a snow storm and lunch. Then once again into the forest and another line through the trees in fresh snow. By now there was around 5cm fresh. Then back up top one last time and another route down the opposite side of the forest and over to the Vanoise Express.

By the middle of the afternoon although the cloud had closed in, the snow was falling and the old snow was quickly become fun to ski. The trees kept it fresh and light with wind having little effect.

Take a look at the photos for today and see how conditions are improving again.

The pistes on the way home were in good condition although now quite busy. The holiday period has arrived so you need to be careful on piste to avoid those not looking where they are going or going to fast out of control.

Have fun and get out here too the powder if you can!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.965448303531636.1073741859.195692797173861&type=3

@Minion1980, nice pics, but changed a bit in the last 24hours. For up-to-date photos go to the link above.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, Ah you've reminded me why we didn't bother last time!!! You posted this video last time I was talking about it! I was thinking I'll take dry clothes for them, but yeah you forget dry jackets and boots can't really be taken! I think we'll just go and have a wee watch!!
ski holidays
For the first time I visited the livecam at Les Arcs and Wow the resort is busy. I have never seen such queues at Combettes before and as for the Vagere, in my estimation it is a 20 minute queue.

I suppose it is half term that is making all the difference.
ski holidays
8 Feb 2016. Yet another fresh tracks powder day!

The weather was kinder than predicted first thing this morning. It looked windy up top and the higher lifts were closed. They even warned of early closing of some links if the wind became stronger.

Time to find more fresh snow. Not hard after the new snow yesterday. Managed to find some good powder across Les Arcs first thing in the morning. Even the pistes were in good condition despite the large numbers of people.

Headed into the cliffs, meadows and forests above Les Coches again today as piste skiing now seems more dangerous than off piste, at least to me!

Spent most of our time doing laps of the different areas until hunger directed us to the restaurant in the meadows for a really nice lunch. Thanks!

Then with busy pistes it was time to head for home.

Going back across Les Arcs there were large queues on every lift I passed. It seemed safer in the trees than using the busy pistes with all those kids to avoid although the pistes did seem in good condition everywhere I used them.

Finally made it back to Arc 1600 and found even bigger queues on the Cachette as they had now started to shut the higher lifts including the Mont Blanc chair.

Despite the crowds, there is plenty of snow and when the winds drop you should get some very good skiing or snowboarding if you head for the quieter pistes and use the less important lifts.

It is raining in the valley right now and I hope snowing up top. Here's hoping for another powder day tomorrow!

Photos from today are already posted in the February 2016 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Take a look and see what current conditions are like. Remember to scroll towards the end of the album for the latest photos. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.965448303531636.1073741859.195692797173861&type=3&uploaded=63
ski holidays
9 Feb 2016. More fresh snow, poor light out in the open areas, but the forests were good!

Today just two of us headed across Les Arcs to the top of the Transarc. The pistes and lifts on the way were busy, but not as bad as yesterday. Guess the poor weather put people off today.

From the top of the Transarc we headed down the Col de la Chal, but by a slightly less skied route. Even with poor light, it was still fun to be the first down with fresh tracks at every turn.

We had to be careful as the holes and bumps were hard to spot on the steeper open sections, but once into the forest as long as you avoided the cliffs it was a fun route.

Joined the track lower down and skied to Nancoix. Spotted the Chapel on the way so thought we would do that route next.

After getting to Peisey we headed up the chair and down towards the Chapel. The kids had made a fast track in the forest back to the tow lift so did that rather than all the way to the Chapel.

Back up the tow and down through the Peisey forest and lunch with friends. After a great lunch with some nice wine (thanks!) we headed back up the Vallandry chair and through the forest again, then across the meadows back to Arc 1800 avoiding the busy pistes.

Up the Vagere and down to Arc 1600 in a blizzard.

Despite the poor weather it was a fun day. We found good snow and conditions will get better and better if it keeps snowing all night. The pistes are now firm with a nice layer of fresh snow on top.

Lower down the fresh snow is wet and made it heavy sticky work on and off piste. Hopefully it will become colder overnight down to the lower stations and turn to nice powder.

The ski area is busy with many kids to avoid so ski slowly on piste as you may need to change direction in a hurry!

Off piste is great fun so if you do not know where to go take a guide and enjoy the 'whole' ski area.

Am busy for the next few days so hope others will keep you all updated. Stay safe in all the fresh snow that is arriving!

Photos from today are already posted in the February 2016 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Remember to scroll down towards the end of the album for the latest photos. Enjoy!

latest report
The snow has been falling and conditions on and off piste are very good. Today it is overcast, but most lifts are open. More snow is on the way and then some better weather next week we hope.

Most lifts are open and the snowpark, jumps, luge, millie 8 area and kids parks are all ready. It is getting busy, but still ok. You do need to control your speed to avoid hitting one of the many beginners around that turn without warning right in front of you.

The roads in resort are covered in snow and slippy. You might need chains to drive up from Bourg if the snow comes again tonight.

Hope you all gave a fun holiday and maybe see some of you on the slopes or in Geoege's Bar in Arc 1950 for a beer.
snow report
Thanks for the update- sounds great.
We are driving from Lyon airport tomorrow morning- chains booked- fingers crossed! The family are all very excited now.
snow report
@snowcrazy,
Quote:

You do need to control your speed to avoid hitting one of the many beginners around that turn without warning right in front of you.

"without warning" ? - a little confused. Being someone who was wiped out from behind when a boarder took my tails out from under me a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure what sort of a 'warning' is expected. In my case he said that I "turned in front of him". I was in the process of making a series of turns down a moderate blue and had no idea he was approaching from behind. When possible I wear sunglasses for that very reason - to improve peripheral vision. I was astounded, pointed out that he was 'above' me on the hill and at least he had the decency to apologise. I am not a beginner, I usually use a pole 'plant' to turn which generally acts as an 'indicator'. If I see others I do avoid and turn away - not sure what else I am supposed to do?? I had always thought that FIS rules required the overtaker to keep well clear - perhaps these have changed???
ski holidays
kapt wrote:
@snowcrazy,
Quote:

You do need to control your speed to avoid hitting one of the many beginners around that turn without warning right in front of you.

"without warning" ? - a little confused. Being someone who was wiped out from behind when a boarder took my tails out from under me a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure what sort of a 'warning' is expected. In my case he said that I "turned in front of him". I was in the process of making a series of turns down a moderate blue and had no idea he was approaching from behind. When possible I wear sunglasses for that very reason - to improve peripheral vision. I was astounded, pointed out that he was 'above' me on the hill and at least he had the decency to apologise. I am not a beginner, I usually use a pole 'plant' to turn which generally acts as an 'indicator'. If I see others I do avoid and turn away - not sure what else I am supposed to do?? I had always thought that FIS rules required the overtaker to keep well clear - perhaps these have changed???

I think what he means is that they are unpredictable in their movements. Experienced skiers tend to ski more logically and smoothly and don't get spooked or lose control. I don't think snowcrazy expects them to give off any signals - just making a passing comment that they are a bit of a hazard and you should pay attention.
snow report
And be very watchful of children suddenly hurtling onto the piste having spotted a small bump or bumps just off to the side and gone for a little "side piste"
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy