Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2015 - 2016

Poster: A snowHead
The talk of skiing down to Bourg reminded me of an old blog related to EDF hydro work. In theory it should be completed now and have left the legacy of a viable 'piste' right to the edge of BSM. Anyone know the latest on this ... ?

http://energie.edf.com/fichiers/fckeditor/Commun/En_Direct_Centrales/Hydraulique/Centres/Les_Alpes/documents/20121221CPchantier%20Malgovert2.pdf

http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/2013/01/moving-mountains-new-piste-to-bourg.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They were still working on the pipes this week (11 Oct 2015).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has anyone seen how they're getting on with the new lifts? It's difficult to tell from the webcams and I'm interested to know if they'll be operational for the start of the season?

Thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@wills_h, the new pedestrian lift, Dahu, is operational and being tested. Not sure about the other lift.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, thanks for that. I'm curious, when you say that it's a pedestrian lift, will people be allowed on it with ski gear, or is it strictly limited to only pedestrians wanting to get between 1800 and Eden Arc?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@wills_h, not sure to be honest. I can't imagine why skiers would want to use it as a regular lift as it doesn't access much of a run, not even a decent nursery slope, especially with the new Mille8 development up to full speed this winter providing much better skiing facilities. So in my mind it's only purpose is as a pedestrian lift for EdenArc and Alpage du Chantel, and it will operate until late in the evening allowing easier access between the top of the village and the centre. But having said that, I can't imagine that the lift company would actively stop people using it just because they had ski or snowboard kit with them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, cheers again. I can't see where the top station is for it, I was thinking it might (with a little walk) give people later night ski access down to 1600. The only reason I could see them restricting access would be if they have made it particularly plush for the people staying in those expensive blocks wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@wills_h, the top station is very low, just at the highest of the Alpage du Chantel buildings, just below the lowest of the EdenArc buildings. It won't be possible to ski to 1600 (at last not without some a bit of a convoluted off-piste route which will involve some walking/skating uphill).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar, Ah I see. Also where does the new lift that goes up to the ridge start from? The way it was explained to me it would start from just by the top station of the Villards bubble in the Mille 8, is that correct? Sorry for being a pain, it's a slow Friday afternoon in the office wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The bottom station isn't has high as the top station of the new Villards bubble. I'll see if I can find a photo, but if you imagine looking up slope from the snow front at Arc 1800, the new Carreley chairlift runs to the left of the Vagere chair, and starts from fairly close to EdenArc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This shows the bottom station. The building up and to the right is the new restaurant complex at Mille8.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, I owe you a drink sir. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@wills_h, my pleasure.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Although this is an artist's impression I think it gives an accurate idea of the location of the top station of the new Dahu lift in relation to EdenArc. There's no straightforward way from there to 1600 on skis. Much easier to catch the bus.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had in my head that it was slightly further up and that it would only then be a short walk up the hill to the road which cuts down to 1600.
ski holidays
@wills_h, I think a lot of people were hoping for that, but I believe it was always intended to be a pedestrian lift serving the Chantel and EdenArc developments rather than something which would be used for skiing. It has a very low uplift capacity (I think it is just two gondola cars which run up and down independently of each other) so if people were using it for skiing there'd be massive queues. Unfortunately it's not a replacement for the old 3-seater chairlift that used to allow direct access to 1600.
ski holidays
@bobski62, guess I better be investing in a head torch Toofy Grin
ski holidays
A question- access to jardin des enfants for piou piou or esi equivalent? I thought they were located awkwardly high up hill in 1800 to get to with 5yr old who can't really ski. What about 1950/2000? Are there jardins des enfants easier to get to and from? Would there be bronze/ gold esf classes for 11/12 yr olds in these places or would you have to be in 1800 for that (we are looking at w/b 12 march)
latest report
@peanuthead, If you get an apartment in the Les Lauzier block in 1800 you'll find the jardin des enfants much easier to get to. From memory the one in 2000 is a little bit of a walk from the apartment blocks. I've no idea about 1950, not sure if there is one there on not. No doubt someone else will be able to give better information on this.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, I love the arist's impression. The skiers shadows point a different way to the building shadows.

So they take out a very useful and important connecting lift, Chantel, and replace it with a lift that goes nowhere. I used to use Chantel a lot at the end of the day and in bad weather to get across to 1600. I will miss it.
ski holidays
Anyone know how the replacement to the Altiportis going?
snow report
johnE wrote:
and replace it with a lift that goes nowhere.
Well, it goes to my place, and will run until 10.30pm so I'm pretty happy Happy
latest report
wills_h wrote:
... it would only then be a short walk up the hill to the road which cuts down to 1600.
On that point, I just found out that ADS has started work on creating a new track (hesitate to call it a piste as it will be very narrow) from the TransArc mid-station to join up with the Belvedere piste where it intersects with the Vagere piste, and from there you can ski to Arc 1600. That means you'll be able to return to 1600 without going down to 1800, from top of the TransArc as well as the top of the Derby lifts. I think it's probably a bit late starting this work to get in complete for this winter as they'll have to do some tree cutting as well as some groundworks, but when complete it will add another option for travelling from one part of the piste map to another, avoiding some of the lift bottlenecks.
latest report
Also new this season will be an iPhone and Android app where you can track your travels around the resort, new wifi installations at some of the main lift stations, and generally improved online facilities for guests. It will be called Paradiski Yuge (no idea what this translates as, or means). Info here.
latest report
Quote:
On that point, I just found out that ADS has started work on creating a new track (hesitate to call it a piste as it will be very narrow) from the TransArc mid-station to join up with the Belvedere piste where it intersects with the Vagere piste, and from there you can ski to Arc 1600.

Been possible to do that for years (with a little bit of naughty off piste!) but not something I'd want to attempt in the gloom.
Will be good, and about time, to have a proper track to follow - always wondered why there wasn't a way to go to the right off the mid station. Thanks Rob.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, I thought the reason you couldn't cut across from the mid sation of the transarc and more importantly direct from the Col du grand renard was that area was either a competition piste (probably no longer needed with the development of the Cachette piste) or the trees were a nuture reserve.

As in many things related to Les Arcs this may just be a figment of my imagination or very old piste maps.
latest report
It looks like this new track, to be called "Tranverse" is intended to completed for this season. It appears on the piste map contained in the 'Yuge' leaflet that I linked to 3 posts up. I thought that starting work on the new track in September was too late, but apparently that was one of the conditions of the environmental approval granted for the project, in order to not disturb birds which nest in that area at other times of the year.

I'm not sure how they will deal with the Competition Stade as the new Transverse track will cut straight across it. Can't believe that anyone would be happy to have race training going on at the same time as skiers cutting across the race piste on an official part of the piste map. That's just a recipe for disaster. Perhaps they will be changing the status of the Stade as @johnE suggests? If they did, I hope they leave that piste as a little freeride area, so it's unpisted and good for bumps or off-piste. Be a good area to allow skiers to get their first turns away from groomed snow.
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
Been possible to do that for years (with a little bit of naughty off piste!) but not something I'd want to attempt in the gloom.
Agreed, although you needed to know exactly how high a line to take as you cut across the slope, and to be happy picking your way through some tight trees. Mostly I could manage that to get back to my place in Alpage du Chantel (always with a bit of a gentle uphill skate for a few metres), but I don't think I ever stayed high enough to get on the piste to Arc 1600. The new track will make it easy to access EdenArc/Alpage du Chantel, Arc 1600, and will also take you to the new Carreley 6-pack to get you up to the Arpette ridge for Arc 2000 and 1950. That's going to make it significantly easier to get back to the 2000 bowl from the Vallandry side of the domain (and anyone returning from La Plagne) as you'll have the option of the top stage of the TransArc or heading further across to the new Carreley chair, without having to go down to Arc 1800 and getting caught up in the frequent queues at Vagere or the bottom of the TransArcs. Everyone's a winner (except for the race club on the 1800 Stade)!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, I guess that's the payoff for us 2000 valley dwellers for losing Grand reynard as a route home. Going to have to do some exploring . And yes, cutting across the stade is going to need traffic lights ...
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
I guess that's the payoff for us 2000 valley dwellers for losing Grand reynard as a route home.
That decision now begins to make a little bit more sense.

Arctic Roll wrote:
... cutting across the stade is going to need traffic lights ...
Indeed Laughing
latest report
@rob@rar, from what you've said you have a place in Eden Arc? You might be able to give me a little information. I'll be coming out for a family trip for a fortnight at the end of Jan, with my father. He loves to skiing but finds it difficult to walk around at resort level owing to lung problems. As such we have to get somewhere with direct access onto a pieste. We have always previously stayed in a large apartment in Aguille Grieve 3. However that apartment was unfortunately booked for a week of the fortnight we wanted. As such we have ended up with a place in Alpage du Chantel. Some of our group, myself included like to head out for a drink in the evenings and can usually be found in BKM. I am a little worried about getting back up to the apartment we are now in, the people we are renting off told me that there are stairs cut up to the apartment blocks but I've never seen them, are they there or is the only option a long walk around the road, or a (probably dangerous, especially after a few genipes) walk up the side of the pieste?
latest report
@wills_h, my place is in Alpage du Chantel (the St Bernard building, click on the link in my signature to see it). Do you know which of the buildings in Alpage du Chantel you have booked? There is a pathway, with steps cut in to it, which does make it easier to walk to one of the buildings (Roseland), but the other buildings are best served by the new Dahu pedestrian friendly lift which will run until 10.30pm I believe.

In previous years I've walked down the piste and the Roseland pathway, and then caught the shuttle bus back up. I'm not sure if the shuttle bus will continue to run this year as the new Dahu lift is designed to replace it.
latest report
@rob@rar, I'm not sure of the building, I've been told we are in apartment Chantel I, which is I believe in the same block as the pool, although I may be wrong on that last part. PS your place looks stunning but unfortunately not enough bedrooms for us!
snow report
@rob@rar, I've just checked the confirmation email a little more closely and the address it gives for the apartment is Apt 7, Batiment I/'iseran, les alpages de chantel. , if that helps, also I can see a few of our group staying out a little later than 10.30. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@wills_h, OK, the L'Iseran building is the newest of the five buildings in Alpage du Chantel, next door and just uphill of my apartment in the St Bernard building (we share the pool). In previous years the free resort shuttle bus stops outside the entrance to L'Iseran, and that ran every 20 minutes until late (not quite sure how late, by perhaps 11.30pm). This would have been the best option for you father as it is a steep walk, partially up the piste, for your father.

This year, as I mentioned, I'm not sure if the shuttle bus will run. However, from the main entrance to L'Iseran it's a very easy walk to the new Dahu lift so I'd say that's the best option for getting in to the centre of the 1800 without having to clamber up a steep slope. It's the option I'll be using this season, although I'm not quite sure what the options will be for late at night.

BTW, there is a small friendly bar/cafe in the building next door to L'Iseran. Does good pizzas, burgers and similar fare, and is a nice place to stop for a beer. They also have Sky Sports available if you are trying to catch a game.
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:
alas poor friend..

Late to this - but what a shame - it was our regular route over to Arc 2000 from Vallandry as was a lot easier than going all the way to Transarc at bottom and mid-station was next to impossible for a family of 5 to stick vaguely together.
snow conditions
@Boris, A deadly lift to try and get off on a board Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, You needed to be pretty quick off the mark on skis too, but I loved that lift.
ski holidays
@genepi, We became fans of Vallandry down to Vagere/Arepette to get back home to 2000. Tried to avoid mid station or Renard. Looking forward to the new lift at 1800.
snow report
Early bird discount for non season passes ends close of day tomorrow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy