Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Quite agree LeFou, Fabrice in Boudu Sports 1800 (Skiset) is the guy to go for.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beautiful day and lovely snow conditions today, a great improvement on yesterday's pea souper. It has seemed pretty quiet this week, or at least until 3pm today when we were caught in a queue at the Bergerie and then a bit later at the Blanchette lift in Bellecote.
Even our trip down from England on Saturday went without a hitch, no traffic jams at all even on the last bit from Albertville to Moutiers. The Dutch people staying in our apartment also had an easy journey down to Lyon on Friday and were in resort by 10 am on Saturday morning.

The forecast for the remainder of the week looks promising, between 25 to 40cms of snow above 1500 metres forecast for tomorrow and more snow expected on Thursday and Friday. Temperatures looks like they will stay low so should be excellent conditions for those arriving next week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How much snow fell last night then folks on the ground? Webcams seem to suggest between 15-30cm but lots of wind blown stuff so hard to tell??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chopkins13, In the region of about 30 cms, it was between ankle and knee deep in places this morning at the top of the Champagny gondola. It has been snowing all day today and is currently dumping it down here in Champagny village.

A lot of the lifts have been closed today, I assume due to high winds, it was even blowing a gale on the Borselier lift at times which is relatively unusual. We didn't venture out of the Champagny area today, mainly due to the wind, but it has been excellent powder skiing with reasonable visibility.

It's looking good over the next few days with more snow and low temperatures forecast.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks @skichampcouk, I'm out on 19th March so the weather / webcam watching obsession is now in full swing!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, chopkins13, also been obsessively watching the webcams, and the old place is looking good.
The green/brown bits on the Montalbert webcam now gone pleasingly white.
But visibility up top - Roche de Mio and Grand Rochette - was pretty miserable.

And skichampcouk, i bet the view at Roc des Blanchettes not so good today Toofy Grin
(We hope to be there late Wednesday night, SNCF strike permitting)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonpim, No, they still had all the chairs from the terrace stacked against the windows so even when it cleared you couldn't see much.
We'll have to meet up next week when (if) you arrive, quite a few of the regulars are returning towards the end of next week as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thought there was some fantastic skiing today, mostly off-piste among the trees. Knee deep powder in certain places and it will only be better tomorrow. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
Quite agree LeFou, Fabrice in Boudu Sports 1800 (Skiset) is the guy to go for.

Agreed again! Fabric has helped me every season with boots. Having one 'deformed' foot (the arch has collapsed, causing fitting issues!) means I always end up seeing him each season - ended up buying boots from him this season too. Flipping excellent bloke and ace boot fitter. Recommended by everyone in resort I've asked advice from
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Back again! And the place looks magnificent. snowHead
Locals say i've not missed anything in February.
Dull cloudy poor visibility days . . .
But they did bring lots of snow.
And still lots of light fluffy stuff all over the place.
Clear blue skies, bright sunshine, and cold.
What more could you want?
Any one here - see you in the Bergerie tomorrow afternoon for a beer Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Greetings all - heard some suggestions on the Les Arcs thread that the pistes are starting to get pretty icy... Anyone out there able to say what they're like in La Plagne at the moment? Heading out on Saturday.

Ice is my nemesis - nice soft spring snow please!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, chopkins13, it depends how you organise your day.
Certainly sunny south facing slopes are getting soft come the afternoon and then freeze solid overnight, so Champagny is tough early on, but fine come the end of the morning.
North facing slopes are staying just fine. And Les Arcs was lovely wherever we went on Saturday.
In La Plagne, Chalet de Bellecote area is fun both down the piste and between them.
And the oft-closed Rochu was excellent yesterday afternoon. We will be trying Bellecote today - amazingly, despite skiing here for over 20 years, i've never done Bellecote.
But be warned: there are mega moguls when you come off the Traverse chair.
So, if you don't rush out in the morning, but have a more leisurely start, and go high to start with, you should have a super time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonpim, thanks for the update! Though as mostly Blues & Reds kinda people I think I'll be giving both Rochu and Bellecote a wide berth for another few years! Keen to get up and ski on the Glacier though as haven't done that before. Maybe even tackle the red down from the Glacier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Though a confirmed La PLagne fan, for reds and blues, just now i must admit that Les Arcs has better conditions.
But there is a possibility of a little snow later this week, so could all change by Saturday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sounds good heading out Easter weekend glad to hear its pretty decent conditions
snow conditions
Today was more "girlie" skiing (reds and blues Toofy Grin ), so setting off about 11am we sauntered over the Montchavin/Les Coches (fine all the way, though a bit hard on the lower slopes down to Les Coches), then played around beside and between the pistes in Crozats area (soft and friendly in the sun, rather crusty and unfriendly in the shade), then home via Arpette piste, Blanchettes lift, Levasset run down to Verdon Sud, blue pistes (Verdons/Marie Chantal) down to Funiplagne and then more blues (Mira and Ramy) down to Bergerie (for a beer) - all these home runs in superb condition at 3-4pm (temperature had dropped considerably from warmish mid-day).
So, anyone worrying about slope conditions come next week can relax - as long as temperatures remain low.
ski holidays
Good to see the replacement Coq lift formally announced:

snow report
Half-way down Rochu: not a soul in sight for miles around

And they say there's no interesting runs in La Plagne . . . Toofy Grin
snow report
@Jonpim, great photo from Rochu!

Is the new Coqs lift going in exactly the same place as the old one?
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Yes, I saw that sign for the new Coqs lift last week. Very good news.

@chopkins13, re: the glacier. While the snow is good elsewhere I'm not sure I'd bother with the glacier again. I did it a couple of years back and it's nothing special. From Roche de Mio you take a slow, crappy little bubble that actually loses altitude, then you take a slow, crappy little chair up the next bit. Once there the runs are very limited (for a red run skier) and then you have to take the slow, crapoy bubble to get back up to Roche de Mio. All in all, it seemed like a lot of faffing for very little benefit. When the snow is poor elsewhere then maybe. Otherwise, maybe not. Incidentally, the queues for the bubble were the worst I saw in La Plagne all week.
latest report
foxtrotzulu, agree the "bubble" up to the glacier is a bit ancient, but an excellent place to eat your lunch Smile .
And the view from up there on the Glacier is well worth the journey.
But, if you don't like big moguls it is not really a place to go for skiing - it is though a wonderful gateway to some superb off piste skiing.

However, you miss out a little jewel in the middle: the runs around the Chalet de Bellecote lift. Two pisted runs - one blue, one red - often quiet, superb for carving from one side of the piste to the other, and a great place for a gentle introduction to off piste skiing.
latest report
@Jonpim, Excellent and timely reminder about the Chalet de Bellecote lift - will definitely try that out next week if not the full glacier.

I understand the lift company has grand plans over the next few years for modernising the whole sector from Roche De Mio up to the glacier, which may see the removal of the Chalet de Bellecote lift all together - best try it while I can!
snow report
chopkins13, details of the various proposed developments of the La Plagne lift system discussed here on Ski Resort 10 year forward plan.
As i see it, the ancient rickety Chalet de Bellecote chair will go, but the pistes will remain.

Today, the whole area above Roche de Mio had been severely affected by yesterday's powerful wind** - even the pistes round Chalet de Bellecote. Lots of the off-piste was polished flat, and on piste every now and then you came across a mound of powder snow blown from elsewhere.
Rochu and Bellecote were closed due to the piste being "tres dur" and all the piste markers being blown away.
Many people avoid the mogul-filled black run down from the top of the Gondola, and take the Traverse lift across to the red. Well, today you were no better off. The red run was full of scared skiers confronted by igloo sized moguls.
Much better were all runs lower down: anything off Roche de Mio or Grand Rochette or down from Aime 2000 is in great condition. Runs below that are getting rather hard.

**and the wind yesterday was really something: some friends coming off the Colorado chair had to be helped off by the lifty as the wind was blowing them back onto the chair. We stayed low. snowHead
snow conditions
Candice (from Montalbert) skis Rochu, she is a World Champion Moguls skier and Bond stunt girl
http://youtube.com/v/UEx8CYRWSMo
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Candice (from Montalbert) skis Rochu, she is a World Champion Moguls skier and Bond stunt girl
http://youtube.com/v/UEx8CYRWSMo

Is that Candice who is married to Martin in the ski shop?
snow conditions
Yep, Candice Gilg.
snow report
Well, conditions just now not quite the same as Candice had snowHead .

And what is it with the crowds - or lack of them?
Saturday - usually lovely and quiet, was really busy this weekend.
But then yesterday - hardly anyone around, and the day started and ended really sunny.
and quiet again today - where has everyone gone?
(Not that i'm complaining of course)

Anyone else watching the weather sites with intense obsession?
Will it snow Friday? Will it snow Saturday/Sunday? Will it rain next week?
Whatever, seems to be general agreement will be quite warm next week . . .
snow conditions
Weather update: its snowing! Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New lift plans update
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#21_03_16
sadly only in French but Google Translate does a passable attempt.
It'll rain Wednesday wink ...but I'll put the snow chains in the car - ever the optimist. snowHead
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Where's the "like" button Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Definitely not going to rain tomorrow! (Bad boy boredsurfin)
But thank you for the link to lift deveopments.
The new Coqs (=Envers?) we knew about.
But the new ideas for Plagne Centre/Village/Soleil were not on my radar.
Replacing the old Vega: superb!
Taking out Boulevard to be replaced by Carpet? Maybe.
Taking out the Telebus buckets and replacing with buses? Maybe
Don't really use either much
Shortening Aolets? Well, good idea: a drag crossing a busy piste is always asking for trouble. And the new Vega will compensate.
So, i suppose: ok. snowHead
snow conditions
@Jonpim, I've just put the chains in snowHead I have a little new powder being delivered steadily all night on Friday wink
snow conditions
Well, boredsurfin, you might be right about today after all!
Cloud and whiteout here in 1800 with drizzly snow - tiny midge-sized flakes
So could well be rain down there in Montalbert
You are the new Weather Guru, and i claim my £5. Smile
latest report
@Jonpim, Cheers, Very Happy Safely here didn't need those chains.... Cool
But Fridays delivery has now been moved to Lunchtime Confused
snow report

Nice morning
snow report

Nice evening snowHead
ski holidays
Superb conditions across La Plagne today and some of best Piste preparation I have come across in a while ...
This was over in the Montchavin sector
snowHead
snow report
Mmmm nice Very Happy
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, great pic, first lift up, always worth the effort. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@gazzaredcruiser, First lift me? No chance, that photo was around 11.00 am, Saturday, always nice and quiet snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy