Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix for Off-piste Skiing and Boarding - Car Required / Better Location Available?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A group of my friends and I are looking at booking a week’s ski / snowboarding trip in February / March 2016. So far we have established the following criteria (in rough order):

• Good off-piste opportunity (we all want to improve in this area and would probably look at getting a guide / lessons for a couple of days)
• Decent après
• Accessible from Geneva airport (some are flying from Scotland, this seems only feasible direct option)

At present we have loosely picked Chamonix as our primary option, but when talking to a friend yesterday who’d been, he mentioned that to make the most of it we’d need a car… this was reasonably off putting as my gut feeling is that hiring a car would bring considerable extra hassle and cost.

As I mentioned there is going to be a mix of skiers and boarders, ideally we’d like to go somewhere we can ride together most of the time. Competence level is pretty high on pisted runs and we are looking to have a bit of fun with a more freeride oriented trip this time around.

Can anyone comment on the suitability of Chamonix for our group, and recommend whether a car would be required? Are there any alternatives that we should be looking at based on our preferences?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Car – depends what you are willing to do, and how quickly you want to be on the slopes. Not required, but it’s nice to have.

I spent the last two winters there and had a car – which I was very grateful for, but did occasionally take the bus too (no free parking at Brevent!). If you memorise the bus timetable, and get yourself organised, the buses are fine – but if you are used to resorts with ski-in/out access, you’ll find it very different… And if you want to change areas within Chamonix during the day, it’s certainly easier with a car (I did quite a few days last year going from GM to Le Tour or vice-versa, or any area to Les Houches if visibility changed, and was very grateful to have my car then).

There is some great instruction options for getting into offpiste certainly in Chamonix – but it might be worth looking at Portes du Soleil, staying in Morzine too… easier for you all to stay together on the slopes there, and it’s all linked so no need for car or buses. I’ve had some fantastic off-piste instruction and guided days there in the past, and Morzine will certainly give you your après fix too!

Chamonix is fantastic – both for skiing and après! But the transport can be a pain. It’s up to you whether it’s worth it or not.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rholligan, bear in mind Feb/March may coincide with French school holidays which are best avoided if possible...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Re cars - it tends to be the cheapest way to get there from the airport for a group, so I'd be surprised if it was much incremental cost (minibus transfer typically 50E return per person door-door). Some of the guides/instructors have their own transport and will happily drive you around if you'd rather not drive locally - one of our instructors refuses to take extra payment even for driving to Courmayeur or Verbier, let alone up and down the valley. Key thing at that time of year is to get up early to beat the 9.15 ski school lift queues; if you do this then parking is also ok.

For off piste I find the French school hols are surprisingly good - the gnarly locals/seassonaires/Scandis tend to be at home, in bed, or off visiting relatives. 2 yrs ago I had the best, quietest off piste skiing ever on the Grands Montets in Feb half-term. In contrast, a 'low season' Saturday in mid January can be quiet on-piste but heavily tracked off-piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowdave, that's a good point re off piste. Plausible. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

At present we have loosely picked Chamonix as our primary option, but when talking to a friend yesterday who’d been, he mentioned that to make the most of it we’d need a car… this was reasonably off putting as my gut feeling is that hiring a car would bring considerable extra hassle and cost.

Chamonix is a good choice. I'd recommend hiring a car in part because I think it is actually less hassle and not more expensive (certainly not much) plus nice to have there. The reason I say its less hassle is that the drive is very easy and it works out quicker than hanging around for transfers. Just send the driver to the hire car desk while the others are collecting his luggage. This gets you to the front of the queue. I'd definitely hire from the Swiss side - it is a bit more expensive but means that you have the carnet (whatever it is called) for the Swiss motorways, you get winter tyres as standard and it is slightly easier to find the route to and from the car hire drop off. Depending on the time of day (traffic) you can get to Chamonix in an hour.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've not had much trouble with the Chamonix bus service. I was out from mid Feb to mid April last year in a mobile home so mainly used the buses to get around (far too much bother to drive the van every day). Never had any major problems.

Just a thought; the Chamonix off-piste is hard to beat but all the Vallee Blanche routes end in pretty flat un-board-friendly terrain and, whilst there is a much more off-piste around, the VB routes tend to be the highlight (if a little busy).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In terms of Chamonix, I would suggest staying in Argentiere- that way you have Grand-Montets (the greatest lift-accessible off-piste in the wolrd!- no bias!!)on your doorstep- from there guides are likely to take you further afield if needed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to many trips around Chamonix, usually Argentiere; some trips using transfer but with 2 or more it has been similar cost and no more hassle to hire a car. The buses are ok for the Chamonix valley but the great advantage of a car is being able to get to Courmayeur and Verbier which are included on the unlimited lift pass. As well as providing lots more choice it can also give you options if conditions in cham are not so good. I concur with the Argentiere recommendation. But the Apres is more lively village pubs rather than discos (you're going for the skiing/boarding right?). In choosing accommodation it will be worth ensuring parking is available nearby. Don't be tempted to try and save money by hiring a car on the French side of the airport - you won't in the long run - Swiss car hire includes winter tyres and motorway ticket
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy