Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roof box Mod

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have an old roof box that I take skiing, and was wandering has anyone cut the rear of their roof box, and slid their skis in leaving 30 cm out the back?

Interesting to hear your thoughts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would imagine it would make it very unstable and dangerous
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why?

Less road noise.
Can lock the skis in the box.
protects the bindings from the salt and other shite on the road.

But you knew that already.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@glisser, Cutting the back of a thin plastic roofbox is likely to compromise its structure, so it will most likely split and deposit your belongings all over the persons following you. So as @Hells Bells, suggested "I would imagine it would make it very unstable and dangerous"

Why not buy a secondhand long roof box designed for skis??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our last roof box was damaged when we travelled with it empty for 70 miles in high winds on our way to collect some skis. The small split became quite a large one by the end of our journey.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Our last roof box was damaged when we travelled with it empty for 70 miles in high winds on our way to collect some skis. The small split became quite a large one by the end of our journey.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Those things have rather little structural strength even when not chopped up. And how would the skis be secured inside? Safer to carry the skis in a proper ski rack and rinse them off when you get there. The alps are full of cars with skis on top.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very True Hells bells, So do you reckon I could just lash 2 pairs of skis to the roof bars along with the Roof box.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@glisser, I put my offpiste skis in a bag (at 190 so they are too long for a 180cm long box) and strap them to the bars tight against the roof box.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, no problem strapping skis alongside the box. I did see a car shedding skis on the M20 towards Dover. Shocked bungees are the work of the devil
A proper ski rack is best, obviously. But expensive if you don't actually use the car to drive to ski for the day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never owned a roof box but I''d have thought with careful and judicious cutting and possibly reinforcing it could be done safely and securely.

But in over 40 years of skiing and having skis transported on the roof of cars, from my parents' with funny elasticated attachments to my own with nice sliding bars, my skis have always been exposed to the elements with no apparent damage.

So I don't see the need...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But if you cut the back off all the road grime and crud would get sucked inside anyway - ever looked at the back of an estate car after a long dirty trip!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you have square bars then this may work for you:-

Atera simple ski carrier for one pair of skis

Probably much safer than using a bungee.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@glisser, we have a long roof box on one half of the roof and a ski rack goes on the other side. When we are at the chalet for a few weeks we usually then take the roof box off and stash it away and just use the rack.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy