Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
Have trip to Morzine booked for a small family trip on Sat 6 Feb, mainly to take my Dad on his first and (probably, due to ill health) his last ski trip.
Staying in Morzine in a ski in, skin out place - or so I thought!!!!
Really worried now. Is it worth coming? Are there learner slopes that he can ski on or should I be looking to go somewhere else (not got the money, but need to consider all options)?
Any advice gratefully received
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mmzandc, for what it's worth, was there a couple of weeks ago.

The nursery slopes are not at village level. there is a magic carpet and beginner slopes at the top of the gondola, more by ski or bus at a reasonable height in les gets or get an area pass and even more at 1800 and below in Avoriaz and super Morzine accessed via gondola. The ski bus in Morzine will take you to the lift. Can't guarantee but should be OK had good coverage and cannons

If he is having lessons they will make use of the best available slopes.

Hope you all have a great time snowHead, try not to worry.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 1-02-16 17:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jubnut, not sure what address you have but: contact@restaurant-paika.com might work and the phone number is 00 33 (0)450 92 85 22. We have coffee there most days if out in Les Gets.
The mist has come down again now this afternoon. Pretty muddy and getting bare over on the Nyon plateau this morning so nice to get back to white snow in Les Gets. Heavy and wet snow around.

@MeMyselfandI,
Quote:

It was this time last year that it was dumping down it what was really the only significant snowfall of the season.

We remember it well as all our family, including babies all arrived as a surprise for my OH as he had a big birthday that weekend. We had the most wonderful weekend of snow the whole time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MeMyselfandI, my brother arrived Saturday, first day skiing yesterday and in all the 20 years of skiing he text me to say they were all so wet through that they couldnt get the clothes dried for this morning, oh dear, hope it gets better for them Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks pamski, that's the address I had, and it bounced back. Ill give them a call when we get to resort.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Late start for us today. We decided not to go out yesterday as it rained all day and then had to do a Geneva pickup. Heavy rain on the way back and 10C round the lakeside at Montreux. Expectation was low for today.

Actually had a pretty good day. Early mist but this cleared to give some sunny intervals so bang in line with forecasts.

Pistes in the Pre la Joux and Linga area were all in reasonable nick right down to the bottom lifts. Nothing icy and mostly good grippy snow early on. Quite flattering to style. Late in the day the usual bumps and soft mounds.

Didn't venture off piste but the areas which weren't prepared (just beyond the poles) had rain crust and some funky patterns where the rain last night had been running downhill. Some of the snow was very sticky.

Much better than expected.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just an aside, but how usual/unusual are these conditions? Presumably we are pretty close to the coldest moment of winter and yet we have high temps and torrential rain. I'm not due to ski for 4 weeks, but I have to confess it all sounds pretty depressing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apologies - If I had any sense I would have done the obvious thing and looked at snow history for a few resorts. So, to answer my own question it appears that, at this moment, most resorts are actually just about where they would normally be. Last season was unusually good but otherwise most years are not much better than this one. However, because we have had reasonable precipitation but high temps the low resorts have done far worse than usual. Snow up top, rain down below. Here is the chart for VdI. The light blue line is this season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@foxtrotzulu, we used to 'enjoy' much colder conditions in January. The rain has been very depressing and I felt so sorry for anyone who arrived this weekend and just felt that they had to get out and get on with it yesterday - if you have only got six days skiing you don't want to lose any of them. We were walking on the north side of Mt Chery this afternoon and it was very soft there, and I said at one point 'Mt Chery seems to be running away down the mountain' so much water running everywhere. But it can all change quite quickly. Two weeks ago, on a Monday, it was -15C, and then two days after that we were eating lunch out on our terrace. We met a friend today at lunchtime whose daughter had asked him what it was going to be like for half term. His response was 'don't ask me that, I can't tell you what its going to be like in two day's time at the moment'

I am in less layers every day, lighter gloves usually worn at the end of the season, vents open on helmet, but just have to hope that things improve. The guys that looks after the pistes are really working their socks off to make the best of what there is.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pamski, the conditions are remarkably similar to 1988-89 and 1989-90. My first two seasons.

Back then it was catastrophic, global warming had just been invented and skiing in Europe would not last 5 years.

Inky-inky-incorrect...

Weather, eh?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, and we are all still here, despite the weather
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Up avoriaz today and it's grand. Smashing through the spring bumps in warm sunshine and tonnes of snow. Snow coming Wednesday, and snowmageddon at the weekend.

Ah but no some pleney home runs are broken. Cancel holiday..... Disaster
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Up avoriaz today and it's grand. Smashing through the spring bumps in warm sunshine and tonnes of snow. Snow coming Wednesday, and snowmageddon at the weekend.

Ah but no some pleney home runs are broken. Cancel holiday..... Disaster

wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mmzandc, I'm sure there'll be some snow to ski on but that's the first week of the French school holidays so don't delay in fixing up lessons for your father. Ski schools will be busy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Managed to get 2x PDS adult day passes for €70 in the Chatel flash sale so a circuit of some kind was on the cards.

Started from Petit Chatel and around the drag lifts to Chalet Neuf was all OK if a bit firm early on. Had to download to Morgins but once up Follieuse it was fine as far as the Pointe d'Au chair which had high winds and then windswept hard pistes down towards Les Crosets. After coffee at Le Toupin we went up the double Ripaille drag and down to Grand Paradis. Very good snow as far as the valley road but then got thin with some tarmac showing. No one about.

Then up to Planachaux, down to Les Crosets on decent snow, up Grand Conche and down Abricotine to late lunch at Brocheaux (14.45). Decent snow all the way down.

Finally up the new lift and down to catch Chaux Fleurie and back home. Only really busy area was Abricotine and down into Lindarets from the ridge.

Great day out and surprised how the snow is holding up. At a fairly leisurely pace we covered 35 miles. No sign of tonight's snow yet though it is clouding in and getting windy up top.

Edited for ****** autocorrect
snow conditions
@DJL, Was there any snow at all on the piste down to Morgins? Do you think they'll be able to open easily if we get the predicted snowfall tonight?
ski holidays
@alj, they will need a lot. We thought about ducking the rope and chancing it (I know the route well enough and it is not an avalanche risk) but in the end we asked one of the pisteurs and it was the right decision to take the lift. Lots of people who took the chance ended up walking the last half.

I don't think the snow episode forecast will be enough to open it.

If you are heading that way from Chatel just take the left hand drag and go down on the chair. It is annoying not to ski it but doesn't waste much time if you know that is the way to go. Our problem was dithering and faffing and ending up doing two laps of the drag lift.
snow conditions
Just been out to the car together my daughter's glasses (kids hey!) and there is no sign of snow. A bit of cloud but not enough to cover all the stars and it really didn't feel that cold.

Let's hope the forecasters have it right. Chamonix Meteo was suggesting snow down to 1000m which is pretty well valley bottom level.
latest report
Quote:

Let's hope the forecasters have it right

Let's hope the right ones have it right. Meteo France predicting rain up to as high as 1500/1600m on Sunday and Monday.
latest report
Don't want to look outside, was hoping for snowflakes, but got rivers of rain again in Champery. Cannot see a Snowline through the mist! Things are beyond a joke now with holidays beginning this weekend
I have everything crossed and doing snow jigs now
snow report
Rain started about 0600 in Chatel I think. No snow at 1300m but I think there is some on the trees higher up (estimate 1500m). Just turned sleety at 1300m.

Late start I think.
snow conditions
Now snowing at 1300m in Petit Chatel
ski holidays
Not quite snow at 1200m
latest report
@alj, where are you? It's coming your way I think!
latest report
@DJL, On the way up to Vonnes - still rain at the moment
ski holidays
In Les gets, waiting for the snow last night and it was just warm and dry. Got up this morning at 8.30, looked out the window and all I can see is people walking around with brolly's. It's looks like October in England at the moment. It might be snow higher up but I can't see anything up there so going back to bed. Sad

Really depressing at the moment.
ski holidays
It was raining around 6.30 this morning, yuk taking the dog out at 8, she has gone back to bed now. The rain looks as if it might be turning white and pretty cloudy so I can't see much over the valley on Mt Chery but the trees part way up look to be a little white. Will venture out but not till later.
ski holidays
Now stopped at Petit Chatel and a bit better visibility. Very clear snowline on the trees at about 1450m below Pointe du Saix.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keen to follow all this as we are out to Morzine at Easter. Actually sitting hear looking out of the window at quite big flakes right now- but then I'm still at home in Norfolk at an altitude of about 60m!
ski holidays
Rain is turning to snow at village level in Les Gets. It's ugly though, another pyjama day for us. Thankfully the biggest has a horrid cough which has justified me not taking him to ski club this morning.
ski holidays
Snow now at 1200m
snow conditions
Big fat flakes at 1300m and everything has gone white
snow report
Raining in Les gets again now. Can see the snow about half way up though.
latest report
http://www.morznet.com/webcams/town-valley Enough said Smile

Lets hope it stays cold enough for the next month or two to keep the snow this time!
snow report
Am I on the wrong thread??

It's been hoofing it down with SNOW pretty much all day at Pre la Joux!!!

I've got heavy legs!!
latest report
@sarah, no, I don't think the wrong thread, now. That happy noise of the snow plough up and down the road. Minus 3C now at 5 o'clock and all looking white again over the valley.
ski holidays
3/4 of our group decided to fester in the apartment. Yours truly decided to head up when the snow "stopped" at 12.30. It started again as I was on the Petit Chatel chair.

Some nice snow and desperate visibility and reminded me I can get cold in winter.

Conditions pretty decent over at upper part of Super Chatel then headed over the new lifts to Linga and PLJ. Visibility, snow and wind came and went but I would estimate 20-25cm of fresh snow up top and my car at 1300m had over 10cm on top back at Petit Chatel.

When this is groomed tomorrow morning it should be good.

Back to the apartment and dinner is cooked and G&Ts on offer. For a poor day it could be a lot worse!
latest report
@Pamski, snowHead

Loadsa snow up there today mid shin deep in places this morning and it's still coming down and in town here too. The wind is getting up though. Forecast is for much more snowHead
snow report
Fantastic news! Hoping Morzine gets covered! snow-forecast.com predicts more mild weather coming and alot of rain which will probably get rid of any snow in the town though?
snow report
I have been on holiday in sunny climes for the last two weeks. When I left I was skiing powder on Pleney down to resort level. Couldn't believe it when I arrived back today. Lucky to be able to ski to resort level at the moment. Hopefully things will improve next week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy