Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
@p20pjd, there is a small, very small, cafe/snack bar in the vicinity of the entrance to Chardon Bleu. So the umbrella or whatever might help you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This appears to be more of a general Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine thread than weather related so I'll ask this:-

One option I have for an early season long weekend - 11th to 14th December - is Avoriaz as it is reasonably close to GVA to make it possible to ski on Friday afternoon. I've never been to the area before so looking for some suggestions for somewhere for my 8 year old and me to stay. Given the short time we are there we won't be self-catering so would prefer a hotel and restaurants close-by but in Avoriaz they appear to be a common as rocking horse poo. The other options would be Morzine and then take a lift up each day.

Thoughts?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there - Avoriaz doesnt open until the saturday so that is your friday afternoon out of the window. A hotel in the prodains area (try Chilly Powder - I think they have one there) would be easy enough to go up the new gondola in the morning and straight onto the slopes.

That weekend is also a ski test so it may be busy.

Im not trying to put you off, although it sounds like it, just making sure you get what you want.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaza, There's at least one hotel in Avoriaz itself, e.g http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/des-dromonts.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-15CAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaCyIAQGYAS64AQTIAQTYAQPoAQE;sid=5b3481686590621558e9e14ae7ea5da0;dcid=1;checkin=2015-12-11;checkout=2015-12-14;ucfs=1;room1=A,A;srfid=be36d6f172206e7d9a5834abedcb6dfcda79992eX2;highlight_room=

being the only one that comes up on the site...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, no, arnica is currently being profiled directly under the Mouille au Chat lift (ancient lift between Ranfoilly and Nauchets) and looks like it's going to be a LOT of fun.

It's warm out here at the moment but there's a lot of work going on in the mountains. Looks like there are brand new cannons in the bowl as well. Everything's starting to gear up for winter and there's a lot of work going on repairing the landslides from the spring and getting the lifts ready. There's also new reservoirs that are being finished up at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@MeMyselfandI, Maybe I'm confusing my chair names. I bet it's where I'm thinking of and a bit of re-profiling will do the power of good.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Nadenoodlee, according to their website - http://www.avoriaz.com/en/events/ski-area-opening - it opens on 11th. Given the look of the long range forecast it might not open so I could have to rely on the back-up plan of heading to Tignes.

@under a new name, I'd seen that one but it is a tad on the pricey side. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gaza, Last year we had limited opening on opening weekend due to lack of snow(Avoriaz) but we were one of the only ski areas (I think the only one in 74) that was open. So it was rammed. I managed 2hours - of which 1 hour was spent in queues.

If I were you I would book the flights and a car and then hold back and book when you know where the snow is. You`ll have your pick of places at that time of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Nadenoodlee, that's exactly what I've done. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very early season is a very unpredictable bag - 2 years ago we were skiing on the 29th November in Chatel and we even had mid week opening the snow was so good - now those were quiet pistes, yet last year only 4 VERY icey 'pistes' were open in Avoriaz, the result...? BUSY BUSY! We drove over to Ardent on 1 afternoon at about 2pm - for a start i was glad i went late as people had started clearing away, but I regretted going at all because it was so icey.

On the first weekends nearly everyone drives up from the valleys to get their first hit of skiing, just like you'll be doing (just from further away) so, it is usually very busy. And even when the lifts in Chatel open ahead of schedule we still only ski for an hour or 2 in the afternoon as the crowds will start dispersing later in the day.

It's also worth noting that just because the resort says it's open, it doesn't always mean that ALL the lifts will be open which can cause bottlenecks.

i'm not trying to put you off or anything, I'm just giving you our Very early season experiences.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

just because the resort says it's open, it doesn't always mean that ALL the lifts will be open

That early, IME, it very rarely means that everything has opened.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great @Gaza, then chill out snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, it's a brand new piste, has just been an occasional off piste route before now. Can't seem to upload pics from my phone but here's the big new piste map they've just put up at the bottom of Ranfoilly showing everything including the new free riding area in the bowl.

https://www.facebook.com/qliofr/posts/1622574058002849:0

Also weather wise it's beatifully sunny and hot in the sun. Was a very light layer of frost in the shaded areas this morning.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MeMyselfandI, It is exactly where I'm thinking of yes a brand new piste. But an old quasi-off piste route, even if somewhat punctuated by roads. Also IIRC the prior access was a bit of a traverse in, not straight in off the lift.

Looks interesting.

New piste map available as download in high-res from the website though not obvious where from ("Downloads" link at bottom page).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So.. At the very real risk of being dismissed with the usual 'it's too early to tell' replies (which are I'm sure may be entirely justified)...

Is anyone else slightly concerned that it's nearly mid November and 17 degrees C in Avoriaz today..!?!?

I skied the week after Xmas last year in the PDS and we were lucky as the week before was pretty much a write off and I wondered if people are justified in worrying already (as last year we were being told not to worry, yet it turned out to be entirely justified)..!

Thanks,
Paul
ski holidays
Quote:

last year we were being told not to worry, yet it turned out to be entirely justified

worrying is never justified wink it just furs up your arteries and achieves precisely nothing.

If you've booked already, worrying is pointless. If you intend to book at the last minute...... that's not for weeks yet!
latest report
I was there both those weeks last year, the week before was not that bad, little bit sketchy in places and you could not go out of Avoriaz (Damn just realized should have found out if they refunded PDS passes)

As it was the main impact was that everyone in a 50 mile radius was getting bused in and if you had not bought your passes in advance you could find yourself queuing for a long time and/or not skiing.

Still I was there with my family and as Pam says we are already booked, we will have lots of christmas presents and DVD's with us, so will have a nice holiday regardless.

G
ski holidays
The voice of reason @pam w, thanks.

I realise that a few big snowfall days can change everything, I was just wondering whether to take my bike or skis as 17 degrees could be quite nice for a spot of riding..!!
ski holidays
@gordornrussell76, thanks too.. We hadn't booked passes so we were actually very grateful to snowmageddon despite the a 17 hour journey from Paris to Morzine, still have the scars from that amount of time with 3 kids in the back!!
snow report
Remember, les gets and most of pds does not need a lot of snow as it is pasture land mainly so not a load of rock to cover such as tignes etc. The snow will be here more than last year as we had a fair snowfall at this time that of course went
snow conditions
Just got the latest Montriond newsletter through the post which mentions the main upgrades in the Linderets valley for this season. As well as the upgrade to the Brocheaux lift and repositioning of the top station, it looks like they have reacted to last years early season lack of snow by increasing the snow making coverage across the valley, particularly on the upper parts of the pistes feeding from Avoriaz and Plain Dranse. They have also put a pumping station in at Lac Montriond to provide a better supply of water to the main snow making reservoir.
ski holidays
Thanks @FreeBeer, I think this http://www.mairie-montriond.fr/IMG/pdf/echo_octobre_version_finale-4.pdf is the link to the online version, makes interesting reading.
latest report
I skimmed it - read the bits about the flood etc. and the snow making and then dropped it in the recycling pile.

Now onto the Haute Savoie magazine which has now landed. We get so much sodding supermarket junk mail - way more than in the UK. .
snow report
@FreeBeer,
Great that they've upgraded the snow making but it's no use if it's 17C !
snow conditions
To allay a few fears. Three(four?) winters ago we had a lovely warm and dry November that turned into full on winter in early December. It was the best season in recent memory.
latest report
They were testing the snow cannons at Ardent yesterday - so they must work in 'slightly' warmer temps than previous gear.

@zzz, 2011/12? Although I do remember it pissing with rain in Avoriaz over New Year that season
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
They were testing the snow cannons at Ardent yesterday - so they must work in 'slightly' warmer temps than previous gear.

@zzz, 2011/12? Although I do remember it pissing with rain in Avoriaz over New Year that season

It's not to do with working at warmer temps - any piece of equipment needs testing before it 'goes live' imagine if there was a blockage in the pipeline or other system malfunction that wasn't detected until they actually needed the canon to produce snow, ya know in temperatures below freezing etc. If they didn't test them now you'd all be jumping up and down saying they should have tested them before they needed them.

A properly maintained piece of equipment needs regular testing and maintenance. I saw them testing the gondolas and chairlifts for the same reason.
ski holidays
Not quite sure where that came from @Mountain Addiction, quite obviously they were testing rather than putting down any base.
It will snow when it snows- I don't mind, I can ski every day when it does, but those people coming on holiday here might want a little reassurance or excitement that winter (in some form) is on its way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just comfusing when you say they work in warmer temperatures is all Smile not being mean or anything.
ski holidays
winter is defo on its way, it was below freezing when i got up this morning... !! the ground is freezing which needs to happen first snowHead
latest report
Well if that's anything to go by we're getting 29cm by the weekend

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Morzine_snow.html

Shocked
snow conditions
ohhh... ThunderSnow - I love ThunderSnow, it's the best type Smile
snow report
Freezing level still over 3000m according to Chamonix Meteo but with an inversion making it cold in the valley.

they were testing snow cannons in Crest Voland when I was walking there in a T shirt in October. Working nicely - but I had to dodge not to get wet. Started suddenly as I was walking down the piste!

Fingers crossed that there's not too much precipitation before the rain/snow level drops at the weekend.
ski holidays
There is a nice newish website for Les Gets which has been set up by Tim Scott, of LGS, which has all the info needed about lift passes, transfers, restaurants etc etc and which is often hard to find on the village website.

www.lesgetsinfo.com
snow report
pam w wrote:
Freezing level still over 3000m according to Chamonix Meteo but with an inversion making it cold in the valley.

they were testing snow cannons in Crest Voland when I was walking there in a T shirt in October. Working nicely - but I had to dodge not to get wet. Started suddenly as I was walking down the piste!

Fingers crossed that there's not too much precipitation before the rain/snow level drops at the weekend.

Once in July a couple of years ago, yes - July, I was out hiking at around 2000 -2200 meters, scorching sunshine, near 30*... that night the temperature dropped literally like a stone and it had snowed where we were hiking.

i love it when the weather changes fast, and sharp.
latest report
handy Les Gets website that. doesn't auto play annoying music like the official site does (or used to do).
Tim taught me to ski, when I was a complete n00b.
ski holidays
We walked around Les Gets bowl yesterday up to the top of the Ranfolly. It was warm but defintely not as hot as the week before on Col du Cou. However as we walked down we passed a man who had decided to take his top off......
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
We walked around Les Gets bowl yesterday up to the top of the Ranfolly. It was warm but defintely not as hot as the week before on Col du Cou. However as we walked down we passed a man who had decided to take his top off......

Those Geordies get everywhere
ski holidays
This is a site that is quite interesting for all us PDS lovers, it has a lot of info and pictures of a lot of the work that has gone on this summer.
The "Liasons a ski" page is quite useful for planning those tours or excursions. If I remember correctly these routes used to be published on the area piste maps and the runs were marked by animals.

http://www.passionportesdusoleil.tk
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, I ran Mt Chery in my sports bra last week, poor mushroomers.

Hoping for a lot of snow this weekend. Going to take kids to get skis tomorrow so I can spend the weekend pulling them up the Chavannes and will pick up my ancient but newly serviced Rando gear on Friday. Winter looks like it's coming quickly which, if it does, will make this about the best year weatherwise of my life.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy