Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
@Nadenoodlee, no that's my point, they misinterpreted altitude for length.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was above the Couloir du contrabandiers. I was on the Col de Cou shortly after it had happened and could see the debris. The Couloir run out had two tracks coming out of it suggesting it had already been skied yesterday. Perhaps they intended to ski it. The cornices all along the south side were enormous.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks @zzz, so they skied down VdlM and skinned back up Col de Cou. Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No. I think traversed into it from the top of Fornet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh I see. So Contrabandiers is the main "notch", or further across?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's the one that the guide stopped at in the vdlm, when we skied it in January. Other side of the bowl we traversed into.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Since I was the one correcting others for accuracy, the moniteur was indeed from ESF Avoriaz, not Morzine. An all round lovely chap by all accounts, with two young boys. RIP Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So just back in the office from a FANTASTIC week in the PDS. First time to the area and loved it, particularly the long wide blues and blacks from Avoriaz to Les Crosets area! Stayed in Morzine, only skied that side one day - liked it but for me the swiss side was the winnner, Champoussin/Les Crosets etc and the views are immense of the Dent Blanche/du Midi that side of the mountains. Fair to say the best conditions Ive ever had with the fresh snow over the weekend before last and then a 20 cm top up monday night. Anyone going out this week should have some nice skiing too with the sun forecast and pistes still in good condition. Hopefully another storm and cold temps come within the next week or it could be getting a bit thin down low for people going out next week. Thats my skiing done for the year now Crying or Very sad Enjoy the area anyone going out soon!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also heard about the deaths when I was out there, such a shame! I was suprised by the amount off offpiste available in the PDS and also how many pistes run there are with steep mountain sides/ledges above - one of these ledges did give way in Avoriaz near the top bowl area onto the piste, think this was mentioned somewhere above. Thankfully no one hurt on this one.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stef88,
Quote:

pistes run there are with steep mountain sides/ledges above

That being a feature of being in the Alps wink

Did you not also notice the Gasex avalanche control systems above many of such steep mountain sides?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name,
Quote:

That being a feature of being in the Alps

Haha yes I know but thought there was a bit more here than I am used to, or lets say steeper mountain sides. Can remember a few at Tignes and Deux Alpes but not half as steep.

Yes saw the avalanche control systems all over the place, quite a number of them. Pretty impressive.

Will definitely go back to the PDS sometime in the future, great fun all round!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great afternoon skiing around Lindarts and a few beers what more could a snowHead ask for
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cracking day. A cool wind kept the temperature down. unless you were completely south face where it got quite slushy. Skied over to Super Chatel, for the first time over the new chairs. was a little underwhelmed as could only find unchallenging runs but had a great afternoon around Linga and Plan Dranse.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whta mroe cuold a swohaed ask for?

Spelling?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spring has sprung, day off, bikini on the balcony Very Happy
ski holidays
Skied Morzine and Les Gets today. Great weather and it just got better as the day went on. Chamroserie (sp?) was great around 3pm.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:

Tough Life!!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
sarah wrote:

Tough Life!!

kitenski you know it! wink enjoy your touring Very Happy
snow report
Another great day. Did the Swiss side and the snow was far better than previous times I've done it. Bit slushy in places but better in the Les Crosets area. Runs around Ardent were dead when I returned. Light cloud for the last couple of hours but didn't spoil what's been a great weekend away. That's it for skiing for me this season Sad
latest report
We're just back from 7.5 days skiing in the PDS. Absolutely brilliant time was had. Have been the same week the previous two years and had a great time but conditions this year were fantastic in comparison. Gutted to be going back to work tomorrow but only 27 sleeps until Tignes snowHead
snow conditions
Was surprised last weekend how good the pistes are, especially 10am-2pm, noticeably a lot less crowded too. Probably the first time since mid Jan that the bowl didn't have big queues for Nauchets, so took the opportunity to explore the trees inbetween the 3 reds off the top (back into bowl)....and found a nice untracked patch at one point. And learned something new....Avoriaz, and apparently Morzine / LG are hosting the European Gay Ski Week at the moment. Nice weather for it.

latest report
Lovely and sunny again in Les Gets. The weather now is suiting our routine of getting out early, skiing till around 12 and coming home then to see what our pup has been up to, then walking her in the afternoons. Skied the Roc d'Enfer circuit a couple of times this morning. Sunny up at the top and cloud lingering lower down the first time, then clear all the way next time. The last couple of days we have been over to Praz de Lys/Sommand which was very quiet yesterday. Mt Chery due to close on 3rd April.
ski holidays
Lovely and sunny again in Les Gets. The weather now is suiting our routine of getting out early, skiing till around 12 and coming home then to see what our pup has been up to, then walking her in the afternoons. Skied the Roc d'Enfer circuit a couple of times this morning. Sunny up at the top and cloud lingering lower down the first time, then clear all the way next time. The last couple of days we have been over to Praz de Lys/Sommand which was very quiet yesterday. Mt Chery due to close on 3rd April.
ski holidays
@Pamski, how's the snow on Mt Chery? Coming out for our second trip on Thursday and planning a day over that direction on Friday - can you still ski down to the village?
snow conditions
@Rois1980, we have stopped skiing down to the village. We did it last Thursday four times first thing and it was lovely, then repeated the exercise first thing Saturday but only once as getting thin. We were up there this afternoon, just walking the dog, and people were still skiing down but I can't see the point. The runs on the other side were still very good.
snow report
@Pamski, thanks for that - I'm happy enough to download as long as I've had the chance to do Marmottes a few times. Very Happy
latest report
@Rois1980, absolutely, Marmotte is one of my favourites.
snow report
The Portes du Soleil is certainly sunny at the moment!
Terrific fun on Sunday around Morzine, Les Gets and Nyons. Then two days over the other side. Plain Dranse was in perfect condition in the morning. We did the Casse Noisette a couple of times, which is our new favourite, then we ventured over to the Linga which we couldn't stop going down. So much fun, and quite a bit of speed. To think I was terrified the first time we came here seven years ago.
Then yesterday we headed to Les Crosets and down Ripaille, and over to Morgins via the long blue through the trees. Some bits were a bit slushy by late morning but others, including the Abricotine at 4:30, were perfect.
Today I'm at home with a sore knee whilst the others have headed to Mont Chery. Lucky ducks!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quite windy here in Les Gets this morning, at times coming down the Tulipe I felt as if I had stopped with the wind blowing straight at me. The new Arnica run was great. Headed over to the Vorosses and Melezes which was a little less windy. Coffee inside at La Paika. The Cyclamen blue off the top of the Rhodos is a huge improvement for us this year linking up with the Bluett, and then just a very short walk down the road home. This wind looks to be only for today, and there might be snow at the weekend.
snow report
We did a recce of the Chatel ski area on the weekend and we were pleasantly surprised by the variety and expanse of terrain available just on the Chatel pass. The spring snow conditions were very good given the amount of recent sunshine - it was 13c in the village on Sunday. This was very much a relief as we committed to buying an off-plan apartment before skiing the area but based our decision on the comments we read on snowheads and on other web sites. The logistics and time required to get in and out were impressive - 1.40 min drive from GVA (the long way) with lots of flight options (although did get delayed by French ATC strike).
latest report
Happy Easter folks. What are current conditions like? I am out next Sunday for the last trip of the season Smile
latest report
I am here now so will report back after I've been out I could see runs back to the village as we passed through on the bus
ski holidays
There's still plenty of snow, it's just getting pretty soft from mid morning onwards, and lots of bumps on many slopes in the afternoon.
snow conditions
The boys and OH had a good morning on Mont Chery on Wednesday - thanks for the advice re downloading @Pamski. They'd enjoyed all but the black down the side, which looked a little threatening to them. On Friday we did the Tour Roc d'Enfer in the only dull conditions of the week. Some of the snow was squeakily perfect. We'll definitely go back and play again, but we decided to head to Aquariaz as it was raining low down and visibility became bad high up. A couple of new inches of snow though!
We did the loop on Saturday, clockwise. The snow in Plaine Dranse was fabulous mid morning, also in Chatel at about noon. After that it began to get slushy as the sun had been intense from about 5am. We downloaded into Morgins, because the piste is now grass. The red run down into Les Crosets had soft moguls the size of minibuses (according to my 10 year old). Back down the Abricotine to Lindarets and the last bit to Ardent was ok.
As we left yesterday it was raining hard in Morzine - hope that meant snow up top!
snow report
Coming out on Saturday and looking at the weather forecast I am keeping my fingers crossed the rain won't do too much damage! Feeling anxious!!!
snow report
It is raining again in Les Gets and quite warm. Yesterday was windy, very cold up on the ridge at the top of Mt Chery. We went to Chamonix today for a bit of shopping and lunch. We were able to buy a new charging unit for my boot warmers as the dog chewed the cables for the original ones yesterday.
ski holidays
Duplicate, didn't make it any better though!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 29-03-16 19:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks @Pamski, I will try and not get to worried about the snow conditions- I am sure it will be fine! Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
@snowflake38, I hear ya. Although there is very little you can do about it so I don't tend to bother getting too stressed about the weather. It's great though to know how the snow is holding up so I love having a little look on here in the build up to my trip.
latest report
Little we can do @Sunshine81, but what ever the weather just being away and in the mountains is a big fat positive!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy