Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
It's absolutely hoofing it down with snow in Chatel currently and has been for a few hours. There were two days of snow last week too. And the forecast is for pretty much non stop snow for the next week.

But good luck finding accommodation and lessons in a more snow sure resort for the half term week
Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At 2000m this morning it was blowing an absolute hooley; any new snow had been blown off leaving the icy rained on under layer. It was at least dry though. Currently 6c at 1000m and hosing it down with rain. Very windy at resort level. I'm guessing many of the lifts were/are closed today.
What a winter!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes very windy today.

Skied Pre la Joux sector.

Cornebois didn't open at all. Combes was closed by around maybe 11 and we suspected Echo Alpin too judging by the lack of traffic from Linga. Huge queue at the Keyset poma resulted in hordes of people walking up the Keyset piste, not good.

Chaux des Rosees was swinging at the top as was Rochassons. Chaux des Rosees subsequently closed.

Lots of closures over Avoriaz/ Swiss side too.

This is apparently the first, and mildest, of three very windy days Shocked

Also being the first real day of holidays the queues were interesting at times.

Snow conditions are very good but wind affected.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Absolutely bucketing down in Champery and webcams above look grim. Most things were shut yesterday due to high winds and the picture looks the same for today with more 120kmph winds expected. It's currently 6 degrees in the village so fear rain up above to quite a high level. More cancelled lessons and feeling glum
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I didn't go up. My boys went up. And came back. It's wet and windy. Lots of lift closures. At Pre la Joux nothing open above Plaine Dranse.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn't even bother to go up this morning, whizzing down with rain and ugly as anything. Feel so sorry for all the people who are here on holiday.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MeMyselfandI wrote:
Feel so sorry for all the people who are here on holiday.

Yep, rented my place out to this lovely Belgian family who drove all the way down on Saturday, first time in the area, 2 young kids, all sooooo excited. I can't imagine how they are getting on. Hopefully the worst will be over in a few hours.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Over in Morzine for the half term week with the family. Birthday on Monday. Any recommendations for a nice birthday lunch. Somewhere pleasant, cosy with a good atmosphere - that doesn't break the bank.

Ta

Red
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depending how big your bank is Red, http://www.lagrandeourse.eu/ ?

On positive news for next week... the Morzine colour scheme has returned to White for today (from the Green that it was yesterday).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red80 wrote:
Over in Morzine for the half term week with the family. Birthday on Monday. Any recommendations for a nice birthday lunch. Somewhere pleasant, cosy with a good atmosphere - that doesn't break the bank.

Ta

Red

La Paika restaurant is my favourite on slope restaurant in the PDS (possibly the Alpes). It does a BBQ, even when it's chucking it down with snow.

It's right next to the Turche drag lift (about half way up) at the far end of the Les Gets area.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Grand Ourse looks good, though I hardly ever get as far as Les Gets on skis from Chatel. I looked at the website, but no prices are mentioned on their menu. Does this mean that, if I have to ask, I probably can't afford it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red80, if you can get a table inside (not in the tent) and you like rustic savoyarde food, the patates au reblochon at "Chez Nannon" on the Nyon plateau is hard to beat.ii
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@red80, if you can get a table inside (not in the tent) and you like rustic savoyarde food, the patates au reblochon at "Chez Nannon" on the Nyon plateau is hard to beat.ii

Agreed but lunch would be wasted worrying about getting back to Chatell from Nyon.
It's going to have to be in Linderets......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also, with the weekends forecast biblical rain storm I'm not convinced it will be possible to ski down from Nyon next week.

Sorry, had to get that one in Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
Agreed but lunch would be wasted worrying about getting back to Chatell from Nyon.
It's going to have to be in Linderets......

Sorry, I re-hijacked the thread and caused confusion. Red80's in Morzine. I'm the one in Chatel. You're right, it's a bit too far away to have lunch on the other side of Morzine.
snow report
zzz wrote:
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png

Am a bit confused by this. GFS does indeed look like a lot of rain, yet Meteosuisse, updated at 1230 today, is reporting the snow level between 500m and 1000m over the weekend ,which could be great for PdS. Maybe Meteosuisse uses ECM.
latest report
@snoozeboy,

Sorry. I'll try and keep up Very Happy

There does seem a lot of uncertainty at this stage but most forecasts are suggesting a warming over the weekend with a snow line fluctuating between 1500 and 1000.
snow report
The only forecasts I go on for Chatel and the PdS are GFS, Meteosuisse and Chamonix Meteo. MS and CM are done by humans, but I think they use ECM. Most other forecasts I know of, e.g. Snow Forecast are computer-generated numbers of the GFS Op run, which can lead to a lot of optimism/pessimism at any one snapshot. Whilst MS are being optimistic, I'll believe that one for now.
latest report
Meteo France have rain to 1700m on Saturday morning Sad but also snow to much lower altitudes much of Friday and later on Saturday Sad . It's all rather uncertain - FL up and down like a tart's whatsits.
latest report
Agree with all of that. The other ones I use are
Meteo des Alpes (meteo-chamonix.org)
and Calepin. Both done by humans.
latest report
saturday looks like a repeat of last monday to me.....starts off way too warm, heavy rain and rafales all day

WRF (GFS 06z) sees Saturday as 5-6 degrees at 1000m and 3 degrees at 1500m, with FL starting at 2000 slowly dropping to 1400 by 7pm. But as things stand, like monday, the heaviest downpours occur during the day. Catastrophe. But still 60 hours of hope remaining.
latest report
GFS 12z lowers the FL's by 250m for Sat midday, now starting at a much more pleasant 1770....changes about 25cm from rain to snow at 1500m
latest report
Hi all,
First trip to Chatel on Saturday 13th for half term, me, Mrs H and our 15 yr old son Jonathan. We're staying in the new fermes de Chatel apartments right by Super Chatel lift. Any recommendations on places to eat within a reasonable budget and walking distance?
Jonathan and I plan to explore as much as we can of the PDS area, we're happy skiing most slopes inc blacks, but anywhere we should definitely take in?
Cheers
Alex

Ps apologies if these questions have
been asked a 1000 times.
latest report
Vieux four has a very good, bargain set menu lunch for bad weather days when you don't mind coming off the slope. It's near the foot of the super chatel gondola.

Will let others chime in with their suggestions.
ski holidays
@red80, I would second @under a new name, 's suggestion of Chez Nannon. Definitely skiing past a couple of days before and booking an inside table.
snow conditions
snowfraise wrote:
@red80, I would second @under a new name,'s suggestion of Chez Nannon. Definitely worth skiing past a couple of days before and booking an inside table.
ski holidays
Thanks Snoozeboy, might try that, looking for evening eating mainly
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlskiH, have a look here for all that stuff ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112662

Welcome to Snowheads!
latest report
AlskiH, have a look here for all that stuff ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112662

Welcome to Snowheads!
latest report
How is it looking/skiing in Morzine at present? Anyone out there with some live reports?
snow report
Webcams are showing snowing in the villages of Morzine and Les Gets
snow report
Great conditions out in Châtel currently. Lovely powdery snow all over the place.
latest report
Very heavy snow here in Lausanne now (chatel is only 30km as the crow flies, south of here and 600m higher), GVA airport just issued a "severe disruption expected" warning and Meteosuisse issued a level 3 warning of severe weather (snow) this morning.
snow conditions
Lots of snow. LOTS.

If you are attempting to drive anywhere near Morzine in the coming days - pack chains and know how to use them. If you don`t have them - and cause road chaos, I will hunt you down and run over your skis in my massive car. You`ve been warned wink
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, That is if it's not back in the garage Twisted Evil
Now starting to look forward to next week, although just need to find a plan to dispose of the crowds Puzzled
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, and I am back in the kitchen in Sussex preparing meals for various friends to catch up after being away for seven weeks, not as warm here in this house as I would be in my chalet in Les Gets. Sounds as if the hill up to the Labrador hotel and then up to us at the lake might be exciting tomorrow. Am I missing it all, yes, would I want to be skiing with all the crowds, No.
latest report
After the reset we've never had a problem @Chattonmill, I still suspect Mr NN did something to 'the new toy' when it arrived....
snow report
Has there been much to miss this season @Pamski,? I'm willing it to be summer now wink
snow conditions
Thanks Sanman, will have a read through that thread this evening.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy