Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach-Hinterglemm recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Just about to book flights to Salzburg for end of January for a week with the wife and kids. Looking for a Gasthof close to lifts or slopes in either resort. Looking for something pretty good value for money, which could be a hard ask given it's saalbach.
Tatman - I know you have apartment there, and we might consider something like that (or yours if available) if eating out is pretty reasonable. We do not do apartments as we like to have the rooms cleaned etc so there are no domestic chores whilst on holiday.
Have been a couple of day trips during summer and skied for a day a few years back and love the place so I do not need any convincing of saalbach itself - it rocks Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eating out is very reasonable, both on the mountain and in either village, so you'll have no problems should you choose B&B/Pension or an apartment rather than half-board or a catered chalet.

Best catered chalet is Pension Enzian and Ski Miguel also have a catered chalet in Saalbach 5 mins from the main lifts.

Good value B&B next to the slopes in Saalbach - König, Norika, Hotel Central all get good reviews on SH for value for money.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@quinton, thanks. Have sent enquiries to them all. Thanks again
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boabski, I give a big thumbs up for Pension enzian and it is great value, Kevin and Sarah the hosts are brilliant
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Big thumbs up for the Konig. Great hotel. Slopeside and possibly the best food I've had on a ski holiday. Great staff and nice rooms too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have got prices in from Koenig so it's one of two we are considering. The other one is in hinterglemm and has outdoor pool which would be great for the kids. Is hinterglemm a good base? Looks like it on the piste map as it has the floodlit skiing etc and the goastal - we like our après Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boabski, Hinterglemm is also a good base for the Ski Circus. It is a bit quieter than Saalbach (with the obvious exception of the Goastall) and has rather more Dutch guests than Saalbach, which is where most SHs seem to stay. The floodlit skiing is every night except Sundays and is included in the normal lift pass. For folks staying in Saalbach, it is only a 10 minute taxi ride away.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@quinton, thanks. Flights booked and just waiting on a place in hinterglemm getting back to me. Should have it all booked by Monday Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boabski, On behalf of Tatman's Tours, he has asked me to pass on his apologies for not responding to your initial post - he finds himself unable to log on due to some kind of glitch that has been referred to Admin (possibly it's that apostrophe causing a problem). W/c 30/01/16 fully booked in any event, though previous week available. Agree that eating out is cheap and easy. Location all-important!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hinterglemm is great too. Even though the Goasstall shut the week we were out there we still found it lively enough in other bars. Access to ski area is very good.

Which hotel is it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hammerite, rosental
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@vanessag, thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boabski, Did you book the new Glasgow to Salzburg BA flight?

Did you book ski carriage etc?

Just being nosy as we are thinking of doing this in January
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gandie, yes. Only £100 a head return including ski carriage (from what I can gather). Staying at the Rosentalerhof in hinterglemm - the outdoor pool clinched the deal as heading there with wife and kids. Can't wait
Thanks to the snowheads collective for all the excellent advice. Almost booked the Koenig but the pool was too much of a draw for us Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski wrote:
@hammerite, rosental

Ah ok, it's not one I know. The OH has a habit of looking at hotels with outdoor pools, so wondered if it was one that we looked at while we were there!
ski holidays
It was a typo. It's the Rosentalerhof that we've booked.
snow conditions
@boabski, You can do a wonderful sleigh ride at the end of the valley though the woods and then ending at the Lindling Alm for dinner. The most magical experience and the kids will love it. The hotel should know how to book it. Can't recommend it highly enough.

http://www.lindlingalm.at
latest report
Thanks @PeDaSp,

Can anyone suggest cheap transfer from Salzburg? Car hire seems same price as any transfers I've looked at but no need for car whilst there.
Any advice would be appreciated. Only 4 of us going so car hire may best - holiday autos ok?
snow report
Try... http://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/service/arrival/public-transport.html

Also if you don't have it ask Tatman's Tours for his excellent guide to Saalbach/Hinterglemm.
ski holidays
@boabski, Holiday Shuttle is the usual recommendation. You can book a private VIP taxi from them cheaper than 4 individual tickets on the shuttle bus. Or ask the hotel if they have a deal with a taxi company.
snow conditions
@boabski,

I would think that car rental is the way to go, especially if there is 4 of you. It's pretty good value. But make sure you have a vehicle big enough to hold all your luggage and skis etc. You will need more than a big 4 seater car for sure, unless you travel lightly.

You just walk straight-out of the terminal, and the rental office is directly opposite across the car park.

Holiday Autos always seem the cheapest to me. And if you book via www.quidco.com, you'll get a further 8% off.

Also, I use these guys to give me full insurance cover and extended CDW etc. Much, better than paying the car hire CDW rates which they will try and up-sell to you when you get to the counter:

https://www.icarhireinsurance.com

I always take the western route via Leogang; it's not the main motorway, but it avoids the tolls, is more scenic and cheaper:

https://goo.gl/maps/PpNHF

I would avoid a standard transfer via coach etc., as the times will be fixed and can leave you waiting around for hours; but that may be the cheapest option.

If you do want a transfer service, then I would use these guys for the lowest quote. It just might be cheaper than car-hire:

https://www.findtransfers.com

Good luck, and don't forget to take the kids on the Horse Sleigh Ride up the valley at night!
snow conditions
@PeDaSp, there shouldn't be any tolls for motorway use as the car will have a vignette. But yes, agree with the western route.
ski holidays
@hammerite, Thanks for that — you may well be right. I think I'm confusing renting a car in Geneva and then having to pay French tolls; but even that I'm not sure about Confused
latest report
@boabski, Private VIP taxi from the Holiday Shuttle people costs €150 each way, so €300 (£225) for the round trip. As it is your taxi, there is no waiting around for other guests and it is door to door.

Car hire is not going to be cheaper. Lowest price on Auto Europe is £268 for a decent sized car, then you need to add fuel (€30 - ish) and the hassle of collection, refueling, driving in snow on unfamiliar roads and possibly having to dig the car out on the morning you leave Sad

Saturdays are busy at Salzburg airport. By the time you have queued at the hire desk, checked and loaded the car you could be halfway to Saalbach in the taxi.
latest report
@quinton, Agreed! A Private VIP sounds much better. And the Holiday Shuttle prices are much better than anything I have found in the past.

So thanks — you have saved me $$$$ Very Happy Very Happy

As always, be sure you can fit 4 folks into the vehicle, together with their luggage. 2 adults and 2 kids should be fine.

And even an 8 seater at Holiday Shuttle is good value…. but the "Helicopter Ecureuil 4 pers" at EUR 2,400 I'm not so sure about. Shocked
ski holidays
@PeDaSp, Holiday Shuttle's fleet is almost exclusively minibus taxis, so you usually get a VW or Merc minibus even if you book a 4 pers VIP taxi.

Russian guests use the helicopters in January.
latest report
Excellent advice all. Thanks.
ski holidays
Hi - I am also keen on Saalbach. I have looked at the various ski schools' websites regarding kids lessons (age 6, he can ski very basic parallel). They all seem to only offer courses where the lessons are for 4.5-6hrs per day.

Does anyone have any recommendations for ski schools that do group lessons for kids for 2-3hrs per day - it is a family holiday so we want him to have lessons each day but also be able to ski with us before/after the lessons (not just dump him into ski school all day...)

Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tele, most group lessons are all day in Austria. If we/Jnr are in lessons we normall get out early, ski together for an hour, then ski the last hour or so at the end of the day after meeting up again.

The other option may be to book lessons for a few days, then ski together all day the rest of the time. Jnr was in ski school for 3 days last time he had lessons, skied with us the rest of the time.
snow report
@tele, you can tell the ski school that the child will only attend lessons in the morning or afternoon as well. Most ski schools will accommodate this and I've seen it happen in several locations and different schools. Yes the basic market model is 4 hours a day with the option for a supervised lunch hour, but you can opt to have what suits you, the ski school is usually fairly flexible about it,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy