Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier- France 2015-2016

Poster: A snowHead
leggyblonde wrote:
@Weathercam, I did mean Roche Corneille, we made the local news....

http://www.lemedia05.com/2016/31955/deux-skieurs-evacues-par-helicoptere-apres-avoir-casse-une-fixation/

As we drove back to Turin on Saturday the Via Lattea looked very sorry for itself

Does seem a bit OTT to get a heli out for a knackered ski - why not fly up a rental ski for him ??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam @Hells Bells thanks both for the swift response. I guess it'll be a "wait and see" for now. Hmmm, those conditions don't sound good - fingers crossed the current models are correct.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, I did wonder that though perhaps it would have taken longer to arrange the rental ski rather than just picking him up and dropping back in town?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@leggyblonde, probably right - though if it had been me or others I were with think we would have tried to make it down, long arduous walk though!

Mind you how far down were you - could have walked back to Cucumelle and along the snowless parts, of which there are many, and then get the chair back down ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, we were apparently about 500m down from the summit and surrounded by snow, so near the treeline. I think it would have been dark by the time he walked to a lift. I'm not sure if the guide would have been supposed to let a paying punter do that walk by themselves in avalanche territory. The guide had a good chat with the Gendarmes on the phone and it wasn't heated so I guess they worked through the options. I'm just glad it wasn't me!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@leggyblonde, if you were down by the tree line that's a long way - now I wonder if you were on your own if you'd have to pay?

Probably not - when I was helied off I was a long way from resort in t'back country and there was no way I could get down, though the guide did try to make a sled from a shovel !!

Actually I have been in the same situation off back of Alpe D'Huez and I fell in hard frozen spring snow, somersaulted down on my snowboard and bust my board, and I had to hike back up took me way over an hour, and the looks I got nearing the top with a bust snowboard on my back pack flopping all around - as it broke just behind the back binding.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, All good fitness training!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
[b]

Conditions in the valley are dire after the wind and warm temps. Where it melted it did freeze a little and was pretty tricky to walk / run on - I was due to meet OH in Le Casset whist she ran up there, though she opted for the road.

I'll second this, we took the dogs for a walk via Chantemerle and crossed the river to walk down to Briancon by the canal and it was lethal, sheet ice nearly all the way and I mean ice, blue ice, took us 2 hours instead of the hour or so it'd normally take Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So....day 2 skiing in serre che. Arrived yesterday ...drove up from chambery via frejus tunnel and via lattea ( which I agree is looking very sorry for itself). Blue sky and sunshine was nice after the torrential rain all the way from Calais to chambery making the journey tiring. But then as we climbed up to montgenevre it was a total whiteout and had obviously snowed a bit in the night. Dropped down to briancon and got light rain. Got to Villeneuve, sorted skis and lift passes out had lunch and then the cloud lifted and we had some pretty good skiing ...which was nice as it was my birthday Very Happy
Then to today...hmmmm...the word boiler plate comes to mind ! Very hard pistes until lunchtime then the sun came out and softened things up.
The biggest issue at the moment is it's gone from 87% open on Saturday to 64% today. There are areas where there is simply not enough to snow. Above briancon is not good. Lots of scrubbed off pistes that are now closed. Only one piste open all the way to the bottom...ironically lovely skiing low down as it had started to soften. Link to monetier was closed for most of the day...not sure why but presumably the wind. Some snow forecast for Wednesday and a big dump on Saturday...might get the benefit for a little while as we ski Sunday morning. So....just planning our next move...montgenevre ? PSV ? risoul ? Just to get some variety really.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@backhojo, all joking aside not too good is it - hopefully we'll get more than the dribble forecast mid week.

I wouldn't bother with PSV or Risoul, if you have a car, then maybe LDA.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Working this morning and watching the temperature quickly rise and I said to OH if it hits +10 by Noon I'm out on the bike.

Bit of a social ride, stopped off at the Refuge du Lautaret just before the tunnel as a Brit and his wife have bought the place (needs so much work). Then had a chat with a ski tourer who was just back down from Pic Blanc and he said the snow was good.

Then further up a chat with a La Grave kiter, talking about kite sizes and then as ever the subject of the snow came up, and he said (he was born in LG) that this season is the worst not only for snow but the bizarre warm temps, as I then got back on my bike rolling eyes

Then at the Cafe at the top a table of ski touring Frenchies thought it amusing that I was on a bike, and even more so when I told them I was English.

But then they soon realised I knew the owner (I was last there on Sat after touring), and I explained how at the moment it's one day spring skiing, one day on the bike and hopefully "poudre" by Thursday!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well...just had a fantastic day skiing with blue skies and sunshine all day...really good snow and not many closed pistes. We were in Montgenevre though !
Apparently it's been reasonable in serre che today as well
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@backhojo, some nice skiing in Mongenevre. I like the skiing from the top connection between France and Italy (Grand Charvia), Chalvet was also fun on a snowy day, and if there is a good amount of fresh falling there is a fun little off piste through the trees next to the green and drag on far right of piste map (Durance) - you dip down off the run (skier left). Nice lot of tree skiing between Mongenevre and Claviere.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@backhojo, well be interesting to know how you got on today ?

Must be pretty windy up top!

Now at 14:39 light fine snowing blowing in from up the valley but not settling, especially in this wind. (see webcam).

Had an interesting chat with the owner of The Cocoon (very French ESF bar, hubby is in ESF) about the forthcoming holidays, and she said after the first two weeks 6th - 20th when basically the Southern regions are off, the last two weeks (Northern regions) from advanced bookings such as ESF / Rental / Apartments are way down as people from the North are avoiding Serre because of the road.

I asked why, as in fact with the cheap Frejus ticket it's actually better than before, and she said too much hassle for the French to work it out and get the ticket especially if renting 3rd party accommodation.

Part of me is glad to hear this (less busy) but then I feel for businesses in the valley who have had such a bad season.

Since I've been typing starting to settle in the garden, though we're talking microns and not mm's.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, yes, my apartment is empty then for the first time in 10 years. My regulars are coming in the first two weeks.
latest report
@Hells Bells, would you normally be renting to Frenchies then ?

I think there's a great PR story (a quiet French resort at half term) but trouble is French families have booked where they are going by now.

Good for other countries though, so if you're sitting on the fence waiting make @Hells Bells an offer Cool
snow report
@Weathercam, yes we usually have some Parisians for at least one of the Paris weeks. They do book very late, but not this late.
ski holidays
Feck it must be grim up there now - check the cam out !
latest report
@Weathercam, hopefully @backhojo is down in the trees.
snow report
@Hells Bells, he's probably gone to LDA like I suggested Laughing

Have you looked at any of the cams there, don't think a lot is open up top!

Tis certainly howling in the valley here now, glad we walked the dogs when we did, and night in tonight (no peros).
snow report
@Weathercam, I did. A few people at top of Vallons heading back to Monetier that was all. 5 weeks of steady snow would be great if you can organise it wink
ski holidays
@Weathercam, grim is the word. There was a warning sign at the bottom of the Prorel chair at 1530 saying 'Vent Violent' but it still took me by surprise when I was blasted by the gale coming over the top towards Briancon. We struggled as far as the gondola top station and downloaded. Even that was a bit scary, swaying in the wind.

Hoping for better tomorrow...
snow report
@Maireadoconnor, kudos for going up, or should I say mad Toofy Grin

@Hells Bells, I meant LDA webcams - could see no one all closed from the looks of things.

So I think we've had all of a few mm today - forecast's as ever so accurate rolling eyes

Further Edit we're now questioning as to whether it's actually snowing or is it the howling wind blowing the snow from La Grave over The Lautaret and down the valley to us Shocked
ski holidays
@Weathercam, ha, those of us with more limited days in the mountains are less likely to give up! Even when that's quite obviously the wise course of action.
latest report
@Weathercam, oops, sorry. posting in haste in my break.
ski holidays
For people in resort, Thursday at the Chazelet (by Casse du Bouef / Frejus lift) circa 18:00 is always a bit of a thrash, I'll be there but don't know if I'll have my Jacks with me or not, probably will.
snow report
Hello...well it was an interesting day. We headed over to monetier and was on the vallons lift about 10.30. It had just started to snow and a bit of cloud had come in but it was ok. We then accidentally went on a closed piste (clot gaillard)....don't ask, long story. Was horrendous as snow was very thin and lots of roots, mud, grass and ice. We were with a group of about 20 Scottish skiers who were very proud of the fact that their average age was 72 and their eldest was 84 ! We then hung around the etoile lift as the cloud cleared and blue sky came. Then we went to go up yret and cibouit but changed our minds as the white out was back. Quick loop round eychauda lift and tetras piste and the cloud cleared enough for us to go up the top of cibouit and yret. It was bloody cold but very nice snow. Lunch at flocun and a thaw out as the kids were very cold. Then it turned bad....we had to get back to villeneuve valley and the route back via cucumelle was freezing cold, blowing a gale and about 20m visibility ! Not nice and we kept loosing the kids even though they were less than 50m from us at all times. Very impressed with them getting down without a single drama. Once we got back down to frejus the visibility came back and we went down bez to the bottom then back up case du boeuf then down the melezone which had been opened ...by now we were back to blue sky and there was fresh powder on the ground. All the way down via route Aravet which had lots of new snow on it but was a bit sticky at the bottom. No idea how cold it was at the top but with the windchill and judging by how cold we were despite all the layers and boot heaters then it must have been at least minus 10 if not colder !!
Just been out to get a takeaway pizza and it was bucketing it down with snow even at village level. Roads completely white and had to clear loads of snow of the car. If it stops snowing before the lifts open then tomorrow will be a fun day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@backhojo, good to hear of the fresh snow, but a bit of an adventure by the sounds of it.
snow conditions
@backhojo, Good stuff!
ski holidays
Manly.

And womanly no doubt.

Character forming.
snow report
@backhojo, sounds very similar to a family experience we had back in the days of the Balme chair getting over to Monetier (circa 2001). When there were about four or five families with a herd of kiddies (8-12) and we lost a couple going off the chemin down to the Cucumelle lift which you had to do to get back to Monetier in those days.

Then crazy cold white out and in the end they shut the links back so we had to get the bus.

As for this morning the howling gale of last night looks to have stripped all the fresh snow away, which was not actually that much in resort, but the blizzard last night was pretty impressive at times.

And does look like indeed, LDA had the snow reading the thread from @Claude B.

CAF are doing a ski tour this morning but I'm passing.

Have a good day whatever you end up doing rolling eyes

Scots probably had a cracking day conditions wise, on a par (for them) as being an excellent day in the Highlands Laughing

Couple of pics I took this morning showing how trashed it is still up there from the wind.

And then zoomed in even more on Gauthier which I can see is running!
snow report
It is very icy shiny up here today! All of the fresh has blown away entirely. Lots of lifts closed.
ski holidays
Hi all, I've not been to Serre Chevalier before and I'm planning to drive to Briancon on Saturday via Chambery / Frejus. Could anyone comment on what the road is like from that direction (N94)? It seems like it gets up to around 1850m at Montgenevre, but the forecast doesn't seem to indicate much snow. How likely am I to need to get the chains out? Is coming from the south via Gap any better? @Weathercam's photos of the road over the Col du Lautaret don't fill me with confidence! Thanks!
snow conditions
We did that same journey last week. Road from chambery via frejus is a main road and absolutely fine. Only starts going up after cervinnia towards Montgenevre. Last Sunday it had snowed a fair bit overnight and Montgenevre was a whiteout due to low cloud however roads were totally clear ! We have 4 wheel drive and winter tyres and didn't need them really. Last night it snowed a bit and we went out and glad we had the winter tyres as roads covered. Today in resort car parks we probably benefitted slightly. Col du lautaret is more of a risk if the weather closes in. Also the temporary road built because the main road suffered a massive landslide is also a factor to consider. Stick to the frejus way to be safe. Have you bought an advance ticket for the frejus tunnel ? If not it's very expensive. If you can prove you are staying in serre che you can get a discount ticket via the tourist office. I will have a look for the Link on post it in here .
ski holidays
Ski report...stayed in serre che today and despite the wind and loads of lifts closed we had a good day. We had a false start as the frejus lift stopped 5 times whilst we were on it due to high winds. As we got off they closed it. First couple of runs were a bit average snow then it improved. Stayed above the frejus area and did the higher runs. Then did off piste under vallons lift. Then payed around in snow park and did some runs around the chantermerle and rather areas. Because we had managed to get up the hill early and stayed up then the lift closures didn't affect us. The live piste map was depressing to look at though with lots of red lights indicating closed lifts. All the briancon side was closed. We did find a fair amount of powder in places but it was in small pockets due to the wind having blown it around. Did the black "super draye" which was a mix of foot high icy moguls and 6 inch deep powder...bit strange but still fun !Had sunshine and blue sky all day which is always a bonus. The wind was sting at times but never uncomfortable provided you had decent neck warmer to cover the face when needed. Generally the pistes were better than they have been and the limited amount of new snow has done a small amount to improve things. Desperately needs more snow though. Forecast big dumps for Monday and tues next week...which is a change from the forecast of 24 hrs ago which predicted big dumps at the weekend. We we off to explore PSV tomorrow and possibly Risoul on Saturday just to get some variety.
snow report
@nb14, the link for tunnel tickets is
http://www.serre-chevalier.com/hiver/la-vallee-au-coeur-des-alpes/acces/par-la-route/
snow conditions
Is this a tunnel that you travel through from Montegenvre to Serre? Cannot remember seeing one last year when we were on our travels in the area.
ski holidays
@Jerby, no the tunnel is between the Maurienne Valley (Modane) and Bardonecchia. Way before you get to Monty.
snow conditions
The only proof you actually need is the name of your accommodation. If you are flying into Grenoble or Lyon, use 'vehicule de location' instead of the car reg number they ask for. I have used the road via Gap, it's fine, but a bit longer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy