Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier- France 2015-2016

Poster: A snowHead
@Samerberg Sue, I'm more than aware of Petain and Vichy thank you so no history lesson needed, but good point, think it just goes to show how life was good for Vichy French, and I for one would be embarrassed as a French person to put that photo up!

Last four weeks been watching an average French TV drama, The Resistance, and apart from numerous cliches and at times a diabolical cliche-ed costumes (all baddies in long leather coats and black fedoras) it provides a good insight into France at the time of the Vichy and how the Resistance grew.

The actual history of the Serre Valley and Briancon in WW2 is rather interesting from the bombardments of Briancon by the Italians, the execution of villagers by the Germans after the Maquis killed some Mongols (might have some of that wrong as I don't have the history book to hand) who were part of the German army and much more........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
@Samerberg Sue, I'm more than aware of Petain and Vichy thank you so no history lesson needed, but good point, think it just goes to show how life was good for Vichy French, and I for one would be embarrassed as a French person to put that photo up!

Last four weeks been watching an average French TV drama, The Resistance, and apart from numerous cliches and at times a diabolical cliche-ed costumes (all baddies in long leather coats and black fedoras) it provides a good insight into France at the time of the Vichy and how the Resistance grew.

I watched a bit of Resistance when it was on French TV but I found it tedious. I notice that Pauline Burlet, who looks a lot like Marion Cotillard, played Marion Cotillard's younger self in Piaf.

Jean Moulin, a French affair wasn't bad as a history of the internecine battles in the French resistance: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349646/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

and because this is a ski forum here's Jean Moulin (right) with Pierre Cot (left) in the Savoie in 1936

Pierre Cot was one of the government officials behind the development of Courchevel. The chief architect of Courchevel was Laurent Chappuis who died recently in Chambery. He was a decorated French war hero and the planning for Courchevel was done between Chappuis and Maurice Michaud in a German PoW camp in Austria during the war. the Vichy government, who like their Nazi cousins in Italy and Germany, were keen on sports, elaborated the first winter development planning documents and the construction of the Briancon cable car was considered quite an achievement in 1942 in a country recently defeated by the Germans. The Vichy documents were used to restart the French winter sports development in the immediate post war era, along with Marshall Aid given to the hoteliers in Normandy who had had their hotels destroyed in the D-Day landings. l'Alpe d'Huez also continued functioning during the war and both Montaz and Pomagalski were active members of the resistance.

There is a bit of history here

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Ski-Areas/Oisans

and some more here

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Isere-Drome/L-Alpe-D-Huez-History

I believe the German troups that were killed were Cossacks and not Mongols. I have trouble imaging Mongols in the German army.

Back to l'Alpe d'Huez: Montaz and Pomagalski along with others assisted American airmen who had crash landed near the ski resort. It was all very 'allo 'allo with the airmen being moved around to escape detection from the Germans.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
I believe the German troops that were killed were Cossacks and not Mongols.

That does sound much more likely. As you doubtless know, many Cossacks who had suffered under Stalin's regime joined the German Army to fight against the Soviets, whilst other Cossacks fought on the Soviet side.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, my father joined the German Army (under age) to fight the Bolsheviks in WW1. He was in the mounted artillery and won the Iron Cross, which is kinda odd for a Jew!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, Yes, many German Jews joined the German Army in WW1 and won medals for bravery. A fact that of course sadly cut little ice with Hitler and the Nazis later on.... Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As Resistance films go I recommend The Army of Shadows (L'armée des ombres): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064040/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_20

which for a 1969 French film has a surprisingly bleak and unromantic portrayal of the resistance. I think all the resistors end up dead in the end, crossed and double crossed. This extract is from near the start of the film:

http://youtube.com/v/Nj2BtA_UGeY
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe we should have a separate thread on The Resistance Puzzled

I am pretty sure they were not Cossacks as I would have remembered that, it was a nationality that made you think, strange never knew they'd fought alongside Germany, though I may well be wrong!

I'm back in a couple of weeks so can confirm.

The whole Mont Chaberton story I find one of the most interesting. Read the WIKI on that well worth a read if you are unaware.

And if you ever get the chance, well worth making the climb up there which I did in the summer as well as Fort Janus.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Indeed here is says they were Mongols:

http://www.dici.fr/actu/2014/08/12/hautes-alpes-17-haut-alpins-fusilles-au-col-du-lautaret-il-y-tout-juste-70-ans-le-temoignage-dun-419088
http://www.liberation.fr/cahier-special/1999/08/13/deux-guerres-et-cinq-generations-vues-de-la-mercerie-jacqueline-banet-nee-en-1933-a-saillans-dans-la_282206

However, it seems these "Monguls" were in fact Tatars, Cossacks, Slavs etc raised from within the area of the Soviet Union that was under Wehrmacht control (up to the Volga) who had no great love of the Russians or Stalin.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks my brain cells are still sort of working then Smile

I did write that there was chapel at the Lautaret devoted to the people that were executed, but then edited it out as I came across this when Googling and thought I must have lost the plot and maybe the Chapel was devoted to those ?

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Hautes-Alpes/Villar-D-Arene

Sue Lomas has written an excellent book on the history of Serre / Briancon, with much help from Madame Maynardier (local school teacher) who I bought our flat from (mother of the guide Mathieu) and obviously there are French ones - I think it might still be free via Amazon but I actually bought a hard copy as it's a great coffee table book etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
To come back to the term "Mongol", Clemenceau (French president in WW1) was nicknamed "Mongol". The rumour being that Mongol hordes had passed through the west of France 1500 years before, finally being stopped at the champs Catalauniques. Of course it is largely nonsense, it was Attila who was defeated on the champs Catalauniques. Anyway the French believe there is a Mongol gene in the people from Brittany and points west. The Huns certainly originated from the Russian steppe. The Mongols might have conquered Europe but in the 13th century at the height of their power. Maybe the Germans put about that they had "Mongol" soldiers to frighten the French?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow again last night, this time down to ~2400m Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@KenX, Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, at this rate I'll be dragging you back up the Granon, but this time on skis in a couple of weeks Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
New thread for road conversation here, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120415&highlight=
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, Great idea Very Happy
latest report
@KenX, just 4 weeks until we're back out. Let me know if you need anything else bringing out with us.
latest report
@Hells Bells,
ski holidays
Did the via ferrata at Aiguillette du Lauzet a couple of days ago with Kevin Byrne and his lovely OH, Antoinette.
Quite vigorous, 900m vertical over 6 hours including walk in/out and grand views along the way!
Difficulty rating "D", mostly from some very exposed pitches and the physical aspect of a 3 hour climb!

Valley floor way down there:

Replenishment at the summit! :

Local wildlife, female ibex I think :

snow report
It was a great day Ken and hopefully plenty more to come. We're just finished our Summer two weeks in the valley and we've been blessed with really great autumnal weather. Sorry to be leaving.
Back Christmas and already counting the days.
ski holidays
A little exposure for Antoinette and me:

snow conditions
Shocked I suspect that ibex is impressed.....
ski holidays
Nice one, read that was a long hike to get to that Via Ferrata......

Back out next Fri Oct 2nd planning to do this if you fancy it Ken
http://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/italy/285-the-assietta-road-italy.html

Leave van at Cesana cycle down to Susa and climb up from there to Col Finestrel then along the Strada Assietta to Sestrierre then back down to Cesana
snow conditions
Weather looking pants for this coming weekend Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
That's the trouble with weather, has a mind of its own. Toofy Grin
snow report
@Weathercam, ? Fri/sat not so good, then perking up!
latest report
@KenX, weekends don't really count when you're retired do they Toofy Grin
snow report
@KenX, trouble is leaving crackingly good weather back in the UK but after weekend is looking good Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Valoire side of Galibier at 2500 and snowing !

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 2-10-15 20:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Weathercam, take care on the top.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, no worries, I opted for the Galibier tunnel rather than go over the Col temps were only +3 but another 150m and did think would be rather foolish sliding off the edge etc etc for the sake of going over the the top, plus was getting dark!
ski holidays
Could see the snow on top at those altitudes!
latest report
@Weathercam, wise decision I think.
snow report
The early morning low cloud and mizzle gave way to some blue sky, and at times could see the top Eychauda, and a fair amount of whiteness.

Temps dropped down to +6.5 and we waited till they went into double figs.

OH wanted to run up to Frejus and I tagged along on the cross dresser / hybrid bike. As we crossed the river, getting ready to press the buttons on our gizmos, we actually stripped off a layer or two as it was almost warm in the sunshine.

Climbing up was so different to the summer, not plagued by swarms of flys and not over heating after ten or so mins.

Could see the work they'd been doing on widening the bottle neck on the piste above the shitty chair and looks good.

I left OH at Frejus and continued up traversing under the shitty chair and passing Cote Chevalier and Clot Gauthier, by now it was raining quite hard, and I continued up the traverse that then takes you up to the top of Casse du Boeuf.

At the top I was getting cold and quickly put my jacket on, and in hindsight should have put my dry base layer on, plus should have had some spare dry gloves as my fingers were going quickly.

Descent down to Arravet was very tricky, all those lovely gravel groomed tracks in the summer had been churned up by rat tracks and were wet, muddy and slipery, not ideal on my smooth tyres with tread only on the side walls.

Below Aravet I took the long green Route Aravet back down which was much more enjoyable, and once home, it took me a while to get my core body temp back up and my feet still feel cold!

Strava Track https://www.strava.com/activities/405338339

All afternoon has been tipping it down and looks like snow level has come down to around 2200, will have a better idea in the morning.

Have put the webcam back on so you can see for yourself tomorrow morning!

http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow report
23:00 temps +3.5 and just shooed dogs out and it's nigh on snowing here !!!!

Did say that temps were coming down along with snow level, but did not think as low as this!

Who said October was a lovely "Indian Summer" time of year to come out rolling eyes

So check the cam out tomorrow Am to see what we have !
snow report
Well there's a dusting on the van and the garden this morning and temps were 1.5+ at 07:30.

Looks like a good covering on the trees at 2100.

Think might well take les chiens up to Lautaret to take a look, has to be a good 5-10cm so might even throw some skis in the van!

Mind you just looked at forecast and meant to be warming up nicely for around Noon so maybe out on the road bike wrapped up and carry some extra clothing for the descent ?

Have a great dollop of cloud in front of us atop Echauda so photo of snow not so good hence one below, will wait for the cloud to go.

And just seen this on FaceBook

Just up from Lautaret last night, sort of confirms by guess of 5 - 10cms

Aaaaaahh this one though not too sure if this is at the Lautaret or further up

latest report
More pics of the Galibier closed until this morning http://www.dici.fr/actu/2015/10/03/hautes-alpes-cause-de-neige-galibier-ferme-jusqu-dimanche-matin-photos-651440
snow report
After a very sunny social Sunday morning in town for the market bumping into various people and doing the "shop", by the time we returned home temps had climbed to the mid teens.

So out with the road bike to head up the Granon. Being a Sunday and with the fresh snow the road was quite busy as families parked up to build snowmen and have a slide.

I did have a concern as to whether I'd make it to the top or would snow force an abandonment, and sure enough with only just over a kilometer to go I had to call it a day Crying or Very sad

https://www.strava.com/activities/406155447

Views over to the pistes of Serre were amazing with the snow cover, especially on the Vallons.

Three km from the top and the traverse round to Col de Buffère

Was just a little too tricky on my 25mm tyres

snow report
@KenX, will know where this is......

Had a mini break in the weather around noon so left van at Chantermerle and went up to the traverse, then left Elaine here after 6km, she then took the footpath down whilst I rode back down and back to get the van.

Dogs doing their best to trip her up.

Drizzle / light rain set in mid afternoon so was a good call, and was surprised to see quite a few roadies out on their bikes today.

Game plan for the morrow, another one on the bucket list, Ancien Fort de la Croix de Bretagne, then on to La Grande Maye, depending on the weather..........
ski holidays
Just found this vid on my hard disk, Col du Lauteret back in mid November 2008.

http://youtube.com/v/zk-h0_AiLsY
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy