Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots for big calfs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I am after some advice please, I am quite new to skiing having been 3 times before, the last time I never actually made it onto the slopes as the boots I hired were just to painful to wear.

I really want to try skiing again but get frustrated with the hire boots that are always to tight for me. I am only very small at 4ft11, and have size 4 feet, whilst I am not overly overweight I do weigh about 10 1/2 stone. I have always had quite large/fat calfs. Sad

Can anyone suggest some boots that would be suitable for me, I don't want to be paying a lot of money though as I am still learing and not sure if I will take to it yet.
I live in Leicestershire, so any reccomendations as to places to go for boots would be appreciated.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@becky4849@hotmail.com, welcome to SHs. snowHead have a look at this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2213519&highlight=calves#2213519

CEM is an expert bootfitter based in Bicester. You can take what he has to say in that thread as gospel on the subject!

I can understand that you don't want to spend a lot, but without comfy boots you won't get to first base with skiing, which would be a shame.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Pam, I will take a look. I really want to try and give another go for my partners sake as we go every year with the whole of his family
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@becky4849@hotmail.com, measure around your calf about 11" off the floor, let me know what that size is (you can PM me if you don't want to publish it on here) and i can tell you how much work is needed to get you comfortable in a boot
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have exactly the same issue - bought some boots last year ( Atomic Wayfinder 90) and really struggle with my calf and pins and needles and bruising as a result.

@CEM, My calf is 17-18 inches round - is that big enough in your experience to require significant work to obtain a comfortable boot?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:
@becky4849@hotmail.com, measure around your calf about 11" off the floor, let me know what that size is (you can PM me if you don't want to publish it on here) and i can tell you how much work is needed to get you comfortable in a boot

Thanks it is about 17"
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@becky4849@hotmail.com, @chopkins13, the average ski boot is designed to accept a calf muscle of approx 13-14" in circumference at the top of the boot, being 17" circumference will mean that you are pushed forward in the boot by 1" more than you should be, now this means that you are out of balance, normal result is you drop your hips back as your lower leg is too angled and you want to get back into some sort of balanced position, it is not difficult to accommodate a calf muscle that size, you just need 1) the right boot to start with, 2) possibly move clips a little, 3) flare the back of the cuff of the boot to help accommodative the shape and get you more centred, 4) possibly change the liner for a custom wrap liner which doesn't have a tongue....it is often the tongue pinching which causes the problems, they make the tongue nice and thick to give padding but it has the reverse effect by pinching either side of the leg, the thickness of the liner behind the calf is also too much on most boots, again with the intention of padding = comfort, where for a bigger calf padding = being pushed forward=PAIN
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@becky4849@hotmail.com, really good to have @CEM, advising here. I am a similar height, just 5 ft and with a smallish size 3 foot, but quite a wide one and he sorted me out with new boots, must be four years ago now, and also Zipfit liners which have been really good. We ski probably 90 odd days a season, but not like a lot of people on here morning till dusk, certainly out nearly every day, but maybe only skiing for four hours.

Boots are still fine, I clip them up a little tighter as the year goes on. I haven't got slim calves, but my Salomon boots are fine. I also spent my winter fuel allowance last year on heated insoles which are brilliant.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CEM, You have, without knowing anything about me (save for my chunky calf size!), just summarised everything that I feel is wrong with my skiing / boots in a more succinct way than I every could! I get pain and bruising on both the back of my calf from the rear of the boot and also on the front of my shin from the pinching tongue. My thighs only last half a day even though I try so hard not to be in the back seat - so what you say about angles and being pushed forward makes complete sense!

Now if only I lived near Bicester!! I think I need to find an excuse to make the 500 mile round trip to come and see you!

In an ideal world, if you were able to do something with my existing boots, would it require a couple of visits? One for assessing and measuring etc and one post adjustments to check on new fit?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chopkins13, where are you? i may be able to suggest someone who can sort the problems who is close to you
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CEM, I live in Newcastle upon Tyne - about as far away from Bicester as it's possible to get before entering a different country!! The boots were bought last summer from Snow & Rock and I had custom foot beds put in but other than that, they obviously don't understand boot fitting!! You live and learn I suppose...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you could try and get hold of Keith Yeoman, last i spoke to him he was based at the Newcastle ice rink with his company foot stability, great fitter and understands the issues you are suffering
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks both, I want to give skiing another go and hope that maybe if the boots are better fitting that I may enjoy it and take to it more.
Only thing is though I don't want to go and spend hundreds of pounds if I do decide that skiing isn't for me Confused Any cheap soloutions?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CEM, Thanks for the recommendation of Keith Yeoman - I'll give the rink a call and see if he's still around! Failing which, I'll be down the road to see you as soon as I can find an excuse to be in that part of the country!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy