Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Living in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Someone mentioned language above. I would say that is very important especially when dealing with officialment.

Also, if this is not a permanent move or considering living away from Austria ( I am being specific for the Tirol) for periods of time you have to be careful.
Authorities may consider it a second home or holiday home & Taxes then become very high & you have to pay them even if your not living there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Langerzug, http://chalet-n.com/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Resorts that are very succesfull in winter, sometimes close down completely in summer Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dorirux, if we just buy an apartment for holidays we're not too fussed about letting it out. We will so that it can contribute to any ground rent/maintenance costs and because of local rules. But we wouldn't be renting it out expecting a return.

If we go the apartmenthaus route we will be trying to make sure we have as little a mortgage as possible so we have an income where we don't have to work. If we do have to work one of us will probably come home for autumn/summer and do supply teaching. All ideas at the moment. I am less cautious than the OH!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess that the price of property gives a clue. If there's good money to be made from rental property, short or long-term, prices are likely to be higher. As in France. Or the UK for that matter. Plus the rules which restrict non local buyers and second homers add some layers of complications. In the UK you would need a lot of capital to live off rental earnings entirely. If it's just a nice place to live yourself the considerations are completely different. There are a lot of interesting threads on snowheads about buying property in the Alps, the economics of letting, etc. You could do a search.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like a two week driving holiday in the summer would be a good bet. Head down there! My experience is of summer weekend trips from Munich, very busy in the tourist honeypots lots of foreign plates about but also lots of caravans!

Do you have any experience in hospitality per chance? Understanding the market is a good place to start... For example A hairdresser trying to open a restaurant with no experience sounds like a bad idea... Apply the same principles to what you want to do (IF it's a business)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On a room level the summers have probably declined but mainly because of the recession affecting the amount of summer travelers from the north to the south. For many years our main guest was a one night stay on the way down europe, so most weekends would be full with drabs in the week.
However, things are changing and there are many more apartment lets. There are many Arabic and Israeli guests and the Chinese and Koreans are now exploring much more than just Halstatt.

Best way to find out more is to either commit and create the business (like we did)... we worked out it would add about £30000 to our mortgage if everything went wrong and we had to return to the UK.

Of course you are more than welcome to book a holiday in the summer or winter with one of us lot to have a chat about it all....

wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@flangesax, Thanks for your reply. We intend to come over in the second half of October/ beginning of November for a long weekend to check out new areas, such as Styria, as well as going back to areas we prefer. I think it will be good to see some resorts off season to give us a more realistic feel. I don't have a set date yet but it will be good to come and chat with you if you don't mind.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hammerite, I totally agree with you. We have decided that we want to commit and make the move, it's just finding the right place, at a price we can afford, in the right location. I think it will be safer not to put all eggs in one basket; maybe buy a couple of flats for long lets in a market town and a house with two apartments in a resort - one for us, one for holiday renters. That will be the ideal scenario anyway.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dorirux,

Our agent advised that for long term lets (any lets to be honest) 3% return was the norm. That wasn't sufficient for the investment. We now return 4.5-5% in UK. If we had not already bought in Austria we would have considered using that return to rent an apartment in Austria.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Piesendorf/ Niedernsill/ Uttendorf are not places to buy to rent easily for the holiday rental market but they are lovely places to live.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

We have decided that we want to commit and make the move, it's just finding the right place, at a price we can afford, in the right location.

You kind of have
Quote:

put all eggs in one basket

Isn't this the wish for any mover anywhere, anytime?... And will all those boxes be ticked... especially when considering such a large move to another country?

I'm not saying it is the right thing to do but the way I researched was to completely forget the area apart from the country.
I then searched based on property type to make sure the property could bring in the revenue required to live out here permanently with no other main employment.
Once I found a suitable property I researched into the area.
If you do it this way round there are suddenly a lot more available properties!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy