Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drivers - routes round the M25...

Poster: A snowHead
Question for mainly the surrey or SW based drivers among us...

Every year we drive a couple of times overnight non-stop out to the Alps, from just north of MK. It's pretty straightforward, down the M1, round the M25 via Dartford, M20, Tunnel. However, a friend who comes with us now lives about 20 mins from the M25 close to Thorpe Park, Staines. He's suggesting we pick him up rather than him meeting the rest of us in MK, because it saves him an hour's drive at either end of the journey. While I would be tempted to agree at 11 o clock at night on the way back having driven through the day, we usually book an 8pm tunnel and leave straight from work at 5pm, not missed a train yet. At 5pm, is it likely to be complete and utter suicide to consider driving via essentially the M40, Heathrow, the M4, M3 and A3, at 6pm on a Thursday evening rush hour??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that's an unreasonable request, really. I imagine it would add miles and quite a lot of time to your journey, which is already long enough. Tell him to drive to MK or get a train to somewhere which IS in your route. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@lampygirl, nightmare! I do the route you describe....M1 from MK round m25 towards dartford most days. I wouldn't contemplate the diversion you describe. That "20mins" can easily be an hour
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a car park, especially anticlockwise at that time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does the friend have a car? Just get them to drive to somewhere at the bottom of the M1 and pick them up there - plenty of residential areas where they can park just off the M1.

The problem with Staines (and getting home from there) is the section of the M25 near the M4 in both directions. It can, and does, just stop, far more than the top section of the M25 does. Could easily add an hour, if not two, to your journey back to MK from Dover. And 5pm on a weekday evening is likely to be the worst possible time to attempt it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't do it and agree, a totally unreasonable request. I've been stuck there more times than I care to remember and wouldn't do that unless I absolutely had to.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd do it at 4am, I regularly go that way for Gatwick early flights, or late night as I regularly do late night to Guildford and Bracknell, but rush hour past Heathrow/the M4 fills me with dread, knowing what that can be like at non rush hour times but when the main human population are awake. Essentially wanted to make sure I wasnt being a complete cow by suggesting they get the train to us and we drop them off on the way back, which is likely to be closer to 11pm and the M25 is less likely to be a car park.

(I'm also aware that it can quite as easily close going the other way when lorries decided they look best on their side across the carriageway, but that's outside of my control)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think your friend has just not thought it through. Far better for him to drive around the bottom section of M25 and meet you at somewhere like Wrotham.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used to do a chunk of that route (between Richmond and Amersham) as my commute. It's ok from M40 round to M3 if you hit the M25 after 7pm, but pointless attempting any earlier.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lampygirl wrote:
At 5pm, is it likely to be complete and utter suicide to consider driving via essentially the M40, Heathrow, the M4, M3 and A3, at 6pm on a Thursday evening rush hour??

I used to commute part of that and I wouldn't put it that strongly, especially if you happen to be on a school holiday week which makes a surprisingly large difference. The worry would more be predictability e.g. if there's an accident it can result in long delays.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lampygirl, that's the logical way for me to drive from Hitchin to my parents in Eastbourne, so I've done it a fair few times. I no longer attempt it at 5pm on a Thursday or Friday - almost without exception it takes me 3.5 hours rather than the usual 2-2.5 to get there. The worst bit seems to be the stretch between the M3 and the A3, though it's an unpredictable journey - can snarl up at any point. I now wait and don't leave home until 7pm, or go the other way around the M25 if I have to leave at that time. I would be pretty surprised if you made an 8pm crossing leaving at 5pm and taking that route. You could tell him he has to get the train up to MK to meet you but drop him back on the way home?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I travelled the A1 to M3 section of the M25 weekly for many years, and time of day is critical. If you hit the rush hour, that shortish section can easily add 1-2 hours to a 2 hour journey, and that is without any roadworks or incidents. Monday and Friday were definitely the worst.

I suggest you visit the Traffic England website, select the M25, pick your junctions, and watch the traffic at the proposed time of your journey.

http://www.trafficengland.com/motorwayflow.aspx#mtf
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree that it's a most unreasonable request. This section of the M25 gridlocks at the slightest opportunity and rush hour can be horrendous. The maximum time it's taken me to do the section between Heathrow and the M23 is 6 hours! Obviously, this is an exception, but a couple of serious accidents and you're stuck, and all the adjacent routes are as well. I've certainly regularly sat on this section (or diverted round it) for +2 hours over the 'normal' driving time. To be fair, it can be fine, even if the traffic is heavy, but it's a big risk. The other problem is that the SE section of the M25 past the M23 exit can also be very busy.

I've also had bad experiences with trying to collect people en route - it usually worked OK but I've once had a car full of us hanging-around for 90 minutes because the other person was stuck in traffic, and I've missed a ferry because someone we picked up simply ran late on the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is there not a friendly Snowhead somewhere en route to the Chunnel who has on street parking who could offer to keep a watching eye on your friends car while you are away?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not worth the risk in my opinion.

I've used that stretch of the M25 many times over the years and between 5 and 7pm it is totally unpredictable. From Google maps it would only add about 15 miles and 10 mins to your journey time IF there was no traffic. It's prediction for a Thursday night is that your normal route is between 2 hrs 10 and 3hrs 10 while the southern route is between 2hrs 20 and 3hrs 50 and that doesn't include the diversion to get to your friends place. If your friend is 20 mins from the M25 then that will add a minimum of 40 mins plus faffing time to pick them up!
ski holidays
Thanks all,

Confirmed what I thought. Have gone back with the suggestion of him getting the train to MK or a lift to South Mimms. We'll drop back on the return.

We shall see...
snow conditions
He could get a cab to Heathrow Terminal 5 (which is on the M25) and you pick him up/ drop him there.
latest report
Heathrow is the very bit of the M25 I'm trying to avoid being anywhere near at rush hour on a Thursday...
snow report
RUGBY PETER wrote:
He could get a cab to Heathrow Terminal 5 (which is on the M25) and you pick him up/ drop him there.

really not recommended. it's not on the M25
snow conditions
https://ashfordintl.keyivr.co.uk - Ashord Int'l parking - £50 for a week - Cheaper than a train/blah/blah to you.

Just Why wouldn't you?
ski holidays
Even cheaper if you park in the surface car park.

snow conditions
madness not to that price
ski holidays
Staines to MK is 60 miles. Staines to Ashford 77 miles. Your friend would have to drive less additional miles than you would if you detoured via Staines.
snow conditions
Not really. MK to Ashford eastabout London 118 miles. Staines to Ashford westabout London 137 miles i.e. 19 miles further.
snow report
@dogwatch, you've lost me. Puzzled

If @lampygirl, friend drives to MK it is 60 miles. If he drives direct to Ashford to meet there it is a 77 mile journey according to Google Maps. The direct MK to Eurotunnel journey is 130 miles. Via Staines it is 146 and via Ashford International it is 133.

In summary if @lampygirl goes via Staines it adds 16 miles to her journey and a whole lot more risk. If her friend meets her in Ashford it only adds 17 miles to his journey.and 3 to hers.

No brainer for me.
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, Think you'll find Terminal 5 is on the M25. Very Happy
latest report
@lampygirl, Having re-read your original post have to say - "He's got to be joking". Very Happy Very Happy . Would say though if you were going to go round that way T5 is a good place to meet.
ski holidays
Friends like that are a complete PIA.

So he/she isn't daft, living there and knows that it will add at least the same time, probably more, to your journey.

Not very friend like suggestion. His time is clearly more important than yours.

'Meet me at MK or at the tunnel entrance' would be my response.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RUGBY PETER wrote:
@holidayloverxx, Think you'll find Terminal 5 is on the M25. Very Happy

I think you'll find you have to exit at jnc 14 and it's about a mile and a half away. Not much in distance but can be very congested
ski holidays
Very pedantic @holidayloverxx, Razz Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing

To get anywhere on a motorway you have to take an exit. The junction in question is a direct link to Terminal 5. I would say Terminals 1,2,and 3 are on the M4 and Terminal is on the A30.
ski holidays
@lampygirl, yes it's a bloody nightmare, took me an hour to get from Kingston to Heathrow t5 Hilton (other side of the m25) stay well clear till gone 9
snow conditions
@Gaza, agreed re other terminals.it's all a PITA at the time of day in question
snow report
I just did a trip all the way across France, down to Spain and back. Went out via Newhaven -> Dieppe and came back Calais -> Dover. Much prefer the former and it also means going around the M25 the Staines way. Suited me a bit more too as we travelled from Aylesbury, not MK, but it also means cutting out a chunk of M25 in the afternoon, by going via Beaconsfield, then M40.

I don't know if that is a suitable alternative for you. Booked well in advance it is pretty affordable and the 4h crossin gmeans you get a decent rest before the long drive.
snow report
Realistically, getting involved in the Surrey section of the M25 between 4:30 and 5:30 on a Thursday or Friday is a risk if your travel schedule is tight. Therefore a diversion to Staines / Thorpe park is crazy. either leave earlier to allow for potential traffic slowdowns, or meet in Ashford. Really the cost to your friend of a bit of parking is pretty insignificant vs the 'value' (not cost), of a ski trip with friends.
snow conditions
Why not suggest to 'friend' that they take a taxi to South Mims services and you pick them up there? They can get there in good time and if they have to wait there is plenty of food and coffee there.
ski holidays
He could be at Gatwick or Heathrow in 30 mins...pick him up in Geneva
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy