Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telegraph ski & snowboard show - worth going?

Poster: A snowHead
Seen this event coming up and wondered if it was worth going to (London one).

What do they have on show, whats good, whats not so good?

I would be interested in finding our about resorts, tour ops and equipment but I wouldnt be rushing to buy anything then and there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only been to the Manchester one which I think is a lot smaller. Try and blag yourself a ticket if you can - magazines, retailers, sponsors give them away or raffle them off. I'm not sure if I'd pay to go, but if you can get in for free then you may as well have a look.

Look out for deals specifically for the show - we got free lift passes for booking a hotel we were considering anyway, saving us about £400 in total.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ster, if you can get some free or reduced price tickets so much the better. We tend to go every few years, last year combined a trip with a visit to Tate Britain, and also a wine tasting after the show. Big bonus for us last year was that I won a set of Goodyear winter tyres, so it can be worth filling in some of those entry forms. I think that another Sh won some flights.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This year should be better. In Battersea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We normally go and take the kids so they can be cute at the stand girls and get freebies. There are normally plenty of cheap deals around on tickets but I don't know what it'll be like this year with the Battersea move - I know that venue and it isn't exactly big.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
we went to the Manchester one last year and enjoyed it. Picked up some pre-season bargains and the kids came back with a carrier bag full of stickers which they enjoyed sticking to anything that didnt move Entered every competition we could but won nothing, but managed to get the kids to sit down and listen to Graeme Bell for 30 minutes which gave me time for a quick coffee.

Planning to go again this year - feels like a nice "starter" to the winter season
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aye. Manchester one is OK. but I wouldn't pay full price for it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not for me, went to the Manchester one last year and was disappointed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't forget that the show is at Battersea Park in a tent this year and its a bitch to get to. Not exactly Earls Court.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went to the one at the NEC a couple of years ago on free tickets and felt like Id been ripped off, absolute garbage and everything they were selling seemed to be available from the same retailers for less online, would expect them to make abit more effort in London though
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No

Unless you have no access to the internet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always like to go as a start to the season. I got a 2 tickets for £15 for the Manchester event last year I think, and this included a free hour pass for the Chillfactore. So up you could say it's worth getting a ticket for that alone. Picked up some ski gear bargains. Good holiday deals available and I always have a chat with Graham Bell and also got some good ski tips by Warren Smith in free ski surgery. I wouldn't pay full price and only normally stay for a couple of hours but I always enjoy it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find these events a bit odd. You are effectively asked to pay a charge for people to market to you. I've been on freebies and thought it was interesting for an hour or two, and paid at other times and had an amusing hour or so, but felt it was a bit of a rip off. For what it's worth the equivalent type of events in Austria are free.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's not what it used to be. However, we went on a whim 2 years ago. Felt properly fleeced with the entry price (£18 each as I recall), then spent another £7 on a sarnie and bottle of pop. Far less crowded than the first time I ever went 10 years ago.
HOWEVER Very Happy , Mr P and I entered the Telegraph "win a ski holiday" comp, and won it-a week for 6 in a catered apartment in Verbier. It was in April and you had to book your own flights, but still - not a bad investment (even though it turned out I couldn't go dos a work commitment overran). What's more, we spoke to some staff from a ski school in Japan and the next day we sent son up to this show as he was looking for his first instructor job...and by mid afternoon he was offered on. Best £50 plus train fare we ever spent!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
no, crapola
snow conditions
Received a mailshot today, with the chance to buy an earlybird ticket for London, priced at £20 Shocked
latest report
snowbunny wrote:
Received a mailshot today, with the chance to buy an earlybird ticket for London, priced at £20 Shocked

I had the same one - http://skiandsnowboardshowlondon.eventgenius.co.uk/events/The-Telegraph-38/index.html rolling eyes
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, We forgot to add in the Booking Fee Shocked
ski holidays
Well I am going to the new London one Toofy Grin Toofy Grin It should be interesting as its in Battersea and they have a real snow slope etc, god knows whats going to happen I have booked an outside space??? So should be fun if the weather is not good ! Shocked

EDIT I know its not real real snow, but guess they are trucking it in from Hemel?

If I get a heads up re tickets I will let everyone know
ski holidays
Ridiculous prices. I know it is London, but £75 for dinner Puzzled

The snow may well be from http://www.creativeleisure.co.uk/real-snow.php - I know they've done a lot of the shows in the past.
snow report
Quote:
Altitude Comedy Tent

Is CG doing a gig?
snow report
I've been twice. It was a good way to find out about new products and to try things on. We were looking for helmets one year. My wife bought one and I went back to Snowtraxs and bought the one I'd been looking at. It let us try brands we couldn't find in the local shops. Had a lovely chat with the people from Hardnutz. Met Graham Bell, of course. The other year Snow and Rock were doing cheap insoles (which I'm still using) and there was a snowboard competition on. Both times I got free tickets as part of my Fall Line subscription. And I'm always looking for ways of getting in the mood for the season.

So if you've not been before it's worth a wander round. I should have a look at the real snow slope but I suspect it'll be like half term on it.
snow conditions
I've gone to most shows over the past 20 years, but at the 'earlybird' price of £21 this year it looks like the end of an era. Advance tickets for the NEC Cycle show were £12 and it's a vastly better show.
latest report
I went a couple of years ago on a paid of free or heavily discounted tickets.

Thought it was pretty crap to be honest. Nothing really interesting to see, shops selling tat you can buy anywhere. Did get a 1h free pass to Hemel so that was worth it. Looked like there was more stuff for kids to do.

The best part was we got entry to the gadget show next door for a fiver and got ot have a go on some e-bikes in there.
ski holidays
Theres a BOGOF being offered to SCUK members at the moment.
snow report
Well those early bird prices are a bit disappointing and the general comments (thanks for those as quite illuminating and as I feared) are rather along the lines of its not worth the money at full price. Will have a think and see if any of the exhibitors appear worth having a face to face rather than using a telephone and not paying to have them trying to sell something to me. Will keep any eye out for cheaper tickets.
snow report
AS others have said if you can get the tickets cheap enough then give it a go. I went to the Manchester show last year and compared with when I used to work the shows back in the 80's it was a real disappointment.

We used to put shows and lessons on the dryslope at the show ( Manchester ), and the C&A girls well what can you say in words that comes even close to reality snowHead
Used to be some real big names in the sport turn up as well even at the Manchester show which I suppose would be good for the kids getting autographs etc.
Lots of great memories from the shows which I feel the shows these days will not provide.
Bargains used to be the bye word of the shows with retailers flogging gear at prices so low that left your card screaming for a rest from such constant use.
ski holidays
On a slight change of subject anyone remember the ski shows at Bellevue Manchester ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had an email from The Telegraph today.

Price increase includes entry to the show and a subscription to the magazine.

Very smart on their part.

http://london.skiandsnowboard.co.uk/blog/not-just-an-entry-ticket?WT.mc_id=e_DM45663&WT.tsrc=email&etype=EvC_Ski_New_Generic&utm_source=email&utm_medium=EvC_Ski_New_Generic_2015_09_03&utm_campaign=DM45663
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Had an email from The Telegraph today.

Price increase includes entry to the show and a subscription to the magazine.

http://london.skiandsnowboard.co.uk/blog/not-just-an-entry-ticket?WT.mc_id=e_DM45663&WT.tsrc=email&etype=EvC_Ski_New_Generic&utm_source=email&utm_medium=EvC_Ski_New_Generic_2015_09_03&utm_campaign=DM45663

Not so smart if people don't go to the show because they don't want to pay extra for a magazine.
latest report
Quote:

So, I go in a large group, some are couples living in the same house - this deal means ALL of us will get each issue of the magazine when we really don't need or particularly want it. It might look good on their circulation figures but their advertisers won't get any more response than they would have done normally and most of the copies will end up unopened in the recycling. And, I agree with dw832, a £25 entrance fee puts me off full stop. Battersea Park is also an absolute pig to get to, the only decent way is overground from Clapham Jct and then a 20 minute walk (probably in the rain knowing November). That venue must be far cheaper than Earls Ct to rent so I don't understand why they aren't taking the opportunity to make it a no brainer to make the effort to get there. The logic of paying to go in somewhere where all the exhibitors want to flog you something is now beyond me.
ski holidays
Agreed. Thought about that after I posted.

Should have a household ticket.

And obviously the show is not for you.
snow conditions
I went to Earls Court last year in the hope of getting a new ski jacket. Clothes stalls were pretty poor with limited stock, nothing new or innovative and no cheaper than on the high street. Most of the show was made up of tour operators trying to sell holidays. Didn't get a coat or anything else for that matter. I won't be going again.
latest report
It was a good excuse as a pre season rendezvous for a bunch of skiing mates around London. Most of us have retired to the frozen north so its easier to meet up in a pub in York and spend the entrance fee on beer!
snow conditions
hmmm... this years Site Map... looks... bijou?
snow report
I just had an email advertising the free show tickets with the subscription (or the free subscription with the show tickets) 2 days after I renewed my subscription, without having show tickets mentioned!! Marketing shouldn't really be about upsetting your current customers!
snow report
henzerani wrote:
I just had an email advertising the free show tickets with the subscription (or the free subscription with the show tickets) 2 days after I renewed my subscription, without having show tickets mentioned!! Marketing shouldn't really be about upsetting your current customers!

Agreed.

Fall Line put up an offer to new subscribers on their facebook page recently. I commented saying that those who've subscribed and supported them for years get nothing.

And fair play they said 'You're right' and are now extending the offer to returning subscribers.

Might be worth contacting The Telegraph and informing them of their mistake. If they don't offer tickets, then just cancel the subsciption and direct debit.
ski holidays
Is either magazine worth it? Don't telegraph publish online?
snow report
Fall line offered a boot bag and socks with a new sub , i thought it was great value and signed up , socks are decent too
snow report
kioksor wrote:
Is either magazine worth it? Don't telegraph publish online?

Fall Line is
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy