Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Patagonia down sweater - hoody or no hood?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to pick up a Patagonia down sweater to wear under my new shell jacket.

Any views on to hood or not to hood?

Thinking the hoody would be nicer to wear at other times, but the hood might be annoying with the ski jacket?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was just wondering this yesterday, while looking for a down layer Smile

I think I'll go for no hood. My favourite mid layer at the moment has a hood, and it's a little annoying - doesn't tuck well under the jacket (and backpack), and if I leave it outside the jacket it can get covered in snow etc, or just look a bit silly. My outer layer does have a hood - that's more than sufficient for on the hill, especially as I wear a helmet too.

Edit: I should say, I'm looking for something technical for on the hill only, I've got a couple of favourite around town hoodie tops already Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 6-08-15 10:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always get duvets with removable hoods, generally I hate them flapping around when not being worn, much prefer a hat. A fixed hood also jams up the space between your collar and neck and can lead to it getting damp due to sweat or water vapour that your body is giving off. However, when winter camping etc they are very warm and useful.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah you two have echoed my thoughts - no hood better for use under a ski jacket. I really hate having things tight around my neck and throat and am worried putting a hood into the mix (which needs to be tucked away) will reduce throat space.

Under the ski jacket is the number 1 purpose for the jacket. Being worn 'around town' was just a secondary idea and the hood makes the jacket look better, and it looked nice to snuggle down into on train journeys or in mountain huts.

But overall I think the hood would be annoying when under the ski jacket.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a mid layer of insulation, no hood. For around town, hood.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So basically what everyone is saying I should buy both? Very Happy

Ok, have ordered the no-hood version.

If you're a lady and want the Patagonia down sweater it is £89 here (using discount code 10Blacks)
http://www.blacks.co.uk/womens/040649-patagonia-womens-down-sweater-jacket-gold.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought this last year with a hood and I would go for no-hood if I bought again as it is irritating under the ski jacket. My ski jacket is a shell type. Of course, I would love another with a hood to wear on its own..................
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got an ace primaloft/softshell combo jacket that I use as a mid layer on occasion - actually great at temperature reg. Hood is no real problem in practice as its very soft and scrunchy. I wear it as my main about town/apres/drive jacket in winter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Down jacket means hood imho, but I wouldn't wear a down jacket as a mid layer - too hot and sweaty.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kat.ryb, one of each?

but only in a sale

(COI declaration- Mrs Ed and I both Patagoniacs- albeit slightly stingy Patagoniacs- if that isn't an oxymoron)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ed123 wrote:
@kat.ryb, one of each?

but only in a sale

(COI declaration- Mrs Ed and I both Patagoniacs- albeit slightly stingy Patagoniacs- if that isn't an oxymoron)

So do you shop at Mountain Factor and Epicentre in Ambleside?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, obvs
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So it arrived and the L was too big, but I don't think I like the fit anyway - really boxy around the armpits and chest.

Going to try for a Rab Microlight Alpine Womens Jacket I think instead. And go for a hood. #indecisive snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That was a great price @kat.ryb, I was tempted - but didn't like the colour. I've ordered a yeti jacket from SportPursuit instead, and just got an email to say it's on the way, so I'll report back in hopefully a couple of days on that!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I don't think I like the fit anyway - really boxy around the armpits and chest

I find there's such a huge range of "fit" I really have to try on stuff like that. Haglofs garments tend to be slim fitting and quite long. I got a superb Haglofs shell, from Cotswold Outdoors, but totally failed to find a mid layer to wear under it, despite spending hours in the store and being prepared to pay full price if I found the right thing. Most had hoods, so were rejected out of hand, and of the remainder, the only sufficiently warm ones were scrunched under the arms, though absolutely fine round chest and hips and down my arms. Very frustrating. Had to return the jacket for a refund.
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
So it arrived and the L was too big, but I don't think I like the fit anyway - really boxy around the armpits and chest.

Going to try for a Rab Microlight Alpine Womens Jacket I think instead. And go for a hood. #indecisive snowHead

Everything from Patagonia seems to be cut for fat Americans, which is a shame.

Take a look at the Arcteryx Atom LT. I got one to wear under my shell in Japan, and am very happy with it. Use it almost every day in Autumn/Winter now.
ski holidays
kat.ryb wrote:

I have one of these and I love it but it is pretty warm for a mid layer, if I was looking for a mid layer I would get the Arc'teryx Atom, without a hood or one of the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Fleeces which are lovely and super soft. MH seems to be cut for fat Americans as well and I sized down 2 sizes to get a nice fleece to wear under a shell. All mine have hoods at the moment and they are annoying in the snow, 2 are just about bearable but some very cold days I have been triple hooding it. The obvious answer is one of each, I don't like the hoodless look for a stand alone jacket.
snow conditions
I just had my Yeti jacket (Womens Desire version) delivered from SportPursuit, and I'm very impressed. It's definitely more than I would have liked to spend, even though it was on sale (I took a chance, based on reviews I found) - but it's a really good mix of warmth and packability, and ridiculously lightweight! And fits like a dream, I can barely tell it's there under my shell. That's one more thing ticked off my list for next season, and more money out of my bank account NehNeh
snow report
@fixx, that jacket looks very like a Henri Lloyd one I bought before I went to the Lofoten Islands, to go under my sailing outer jacket. It's like wearing a cloud. Was only available in black, but was also only £110 - sailing stuff, though often a silly price, seems to be less silly than skiing stuff.
latest report
I love way a puff a jacket can be remark eyed as Patagonian down to sound less chivvy.
A triumph in marketing Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, huh? Down is simply the best thing to keep you warm whilst being light and packing down to the something the size of your fist to fit easily in your bag. That's not marketing, it's established fact.
snow conditions
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I love way a puff a jacket can be remark eyed as Patagonian down to sound less chivvy.
A triumph in marketing Very Happy Very Happy

wink I think you'll find that "duvet" jackets have been around quite a lot longer than the sort of people who call 'em "puff" jackets have, if you see what I mean. I was kind of surprised when non-climbers started to wear them, meself. If you check the origins of Patagonia all may become clear. Or not.
snow report
Sorry but my computer seemed to have changed chavvy to chivvy.
Anyway. I stand by what I say. A Patagonian Down Jacket is a puffa jacket and should be called one. All this stuff about being original mountain ware is bollox. They're originated in the twelfth century in Liverpollium worn by people sat in dugouts whilst coaching their team who were kicking around a pigs bladder. Not only noted for warmth, they were seen as fashion statements at the time and worn by local noblemen such as Dalglish, Souness and Keegan. A French Lord called Wenger later introduced the full length version where it is often seen around the well heeled of Islington even today.
snow report
This one doubles up as a tent. http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league-2012-13/arsene-wenger-and-his-big-puffa-jacket_photo_7281.html
snow conditions
Quote:

I love way a puff a jacket can be remark eyed as Patagonian down to sound less chivvy

Ha ha yeah my partner was like 'you're getting a chav puffa jacket?!?" when I told him I'd ordered a down jacket Very Happy

So the Rab Microlight (with hood) in grey arrived, and I really like it. Better fit (although I could maybe do with a tiny bit more room under the arm pits) and a better look. Doesn't pack up as small as the Pataonia though but still pretty small.

I do actually have a Berghaus primaloft jacket (no hood) I can wear under my ski jacket, just think that it might not be enough when the temp really drops. Last year I wore the berghaus under my normal ski jacket (not shell) when the temp was v low and was a bit cold sometimes. So the Rab is for general getting warm' wear while camping, for après, in mountain huts, whilst traveling, as my 'emergency layer' in the backpack and for a mid-layer on days when its really really cold.

Need to buy some more thermals and then I HAVE to stop spending money on ski wear.
ski holidays
My most pretentious friend has a Rab jacket. He saw a hipster wearing one at the Airport and had to get one. He's currently working on his beard and lumbersexual look
ski holidays
Quote:

So the Rab Microlight (with hood) in grey arrived, and I really like it.

Bought my missus one of these for xmas and I'm still getting brownie points Very Happy Fantastic bit of kit.

Incidentally, I'm of the opinion that down jackets don't work very well as mid layer. Issues is that the face fabrics have to have a very tight weave to keep the down in and this makes moisture transmission from base layer to shell jacket a little limited. Of course that is much less of an issue if you are not working very hard (cruisy piste skiing or just hanging out) or indeed just don't get that warm. I tend to use some combination of merino and powerstretch type high wicking fleeces. Down is great for pulling on over the top when you stop moving and start to get chilled.
snow conditions
Down is alright until it gets wet......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Down is alright until it gets wet......

If it's warm enough to get wet you won't be wearing down...
latest report
@clarky999, +1

I need a mid-layer that's a step up in warmth from my existing ones, for those really bitterly cold days that would otherwise make me miserable and send me home! (Or stop me going to the pub for apres Wink ) Always under my shell. My skiing will be more restricted this year so I'll want to make the most of every day.

I also need something small and packable - on lift served days it needs to fit into my rucksack while keeping it all slimline enough that i can still leave it on for chairlifts.

And it needs to be light - for touring days.

It'll never be exposed directly to rain etc - always under my shell. So down is the way to go for me at least.

@pam w, those Henri Lloyd jackets are nice! Ah that might been the way to go if I'd seen those first Smile but now I've found a good fit I'm sticking with it!

Puffa jackets - lol. I'm happy to say I've never worn one if the 'fashion' version of those. Ick. But i don't see the similarity between those and the down jackets we've been discussing - these are all very light and slimline. Mine is tiny! Having never owned something like this before I'm flabbergasted by the amount of warmth that comes from something so small Shocked snowHead
ski holidays
@ fixx checkout the Arcteryx Cerium LT.

@ lynseyf MH monkey man is only good if it is cover pretty draughty otherwise. I am swapping it for the Arcteryx Atom LT - have yet to decide whether to go for Robin Hood or Sydney Carton version.
snow report
ElBandito wrote:
@ fixx checkout the Arcteryx Cerium LT......

+1 for either the Arc' Cerium or Thorium. I've got the Thorium down jacket which has a slightly lighter weight down compared to the Cerium (750 v 850) but it's plenty toasty & even more compact - both come with small stuff bags or you can fold them into their own sleeve/pocket. Also got an Atom LT jacket & an Atom LT vest. All are light, compact & give a multiple of layering options when combined with a base layer under my hard shell. Arc' stuff is superb & their lifetime warranty support is excellent & if you buy in the sales it's sensible money for top end kit & as I wear all three all year round it works out as great value for money.

fixx, let me know if you want to check out my Thorium/Atom kit next weekend when you visit & I'll take them to my shop.
snow report
Thanks @spyderjon, and @ElBandito, but I'm sorted now - if you scroll up the thread you'll see I've now got a Yeti down jacket that I'm really happy with.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy