Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski conditions in St. Anton & Ischgl March 2016? Mushy?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks!

I'm planning my trips to the slops for next year, and I have friends coming over from Australia to ski with me.

We are thinking of:

St. Anton, Austria 5th March - 12th March 2016

then a 45 minute drive to…

Ischgl, Austria 12th March - 19th March 2016

St. Anton is not considered a low resort; and Ischgl is a high resort. Both have excellent snow history.

But I have that daft question: what will the snow conditions (assuming there is good snow) be like at that late-ish time in the season?

Assuming it's average warm for that time of year, and average sun etc. Will in be mushy in the afternoons lower down?

If anyone has skied these resorts at that time, I'd be grateful for some feedback.

Would I be better just going to the 3-Valleys in France, which are all high?

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't comment on St Anton as I haven't been there, but in Ischgl the majority of the pistes are above 2000m so conditions will likely be good. The only time you really drop below that altitude is on the home runs at the end of the day, and these are more likely to be hard and fast and covered in bodies than soft and slushy! There are plenty of threads on here about the hazards of Ischgl home runs, so I won't go into that, but the bubble is a very sensible option!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PeDaSp, should be a great time of year to be there. Wouldn't worry about the snow conditions.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A shot in the dark here - It will probably depend on what weather system is over that particular part of Europe on that day. If it is hot for that time of the year then it will be slushy, If it is average... then it won't be.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was skiing mid April this year in St Anton - yes very bottoms were getting a bit slushy rest was great. Obviously you can't guarantee one season to the next but I wouldn't hesitate personally.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PeDaSp wrote:

No they are not "all high". Some are (just) but nearer the warm Atlantic and further south. Merihell can be a snowless wonder at times. You are going in early-mid March which is high season and the snow base will have built up, especially in the Arlberg.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeDaSp, Ischgl's season runs until the start of May, so I'd expect it to be fine in mid March.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St Anton and Ischgl will be absolutely fine given normal conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pruman wrote:
PeDaSp wrote:

No they are not "all high". Some are (just) but nearer the warm Atlantic and further south. Merihell can be a snowless wonder at times. You are going in early-mid March which is high season and the snow base will have built up, especially in the Arlberg.

This info was very helpful. I understand that these Austrian resorts have a lot of snow historically.

And many thanks for all the other replies.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PeDaSp, Given average or even sub average conditions you will be fine IMHO,.

some pics from the area for the past few aprils here, if you hover over the thumbnail it will tell you the year and location of the pic...

http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
@PeDaSp, Given average or even sub average conditions you will be fine IMHO,.

some pics from the area for the past few aprils here, if you hover over the thumbnail it will tell you the year and location of the pic...

http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/

Thanks Greg! Beautiful pictures.

And I didn't realise that reggae went so well with skiing videos Razz Razz
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've done Ischgl many times either the week you're looking at or the week after and never had any issues with the snow. One of those was warm one and it was only really part of the north east home (Pardatschgratbahn) run that got slushy after lunch - but then that part doesn;t have any shade from the sun. Even then the run above and below that was fine.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PeDaSp, Both will be good
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks for all your kind & helpful replies.

It look like all will be OK.

But if the snow is s**t, I will hunt you all down personally and bend you ski poles Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Board.. Slush is then fun
ski holidays
Nah. Boards will still hang up eventually. Big rockers and give everyone struggling a bonus shower as you blow past them.
latest report
PeDaSp wrote:
Many thanks for all your kind & helpful replies.

It looks like all will be OK.

But if the snow is s**t, I will hunt you all down personally and bend your ski poles Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
No, if the snow is s**t, you'll just enjoy sitting outside Alp Bella eating your rotisserie chicken slowly and getting a tan, rather than sitting outside eating as fast as possible in full gear before it goes cold. Follow this by hitting the apres ski bars a little earlier than planned and all will be well!
snow conditions
@PeDaSp, 5th of March to the 19th is high season, hardly late in the season. In fact in the 3V you will still have the high season crowds as it is still half term. IMHO it has the highest probability of good snow of the whole season.

Most years I end up skiing mid April and the snow (in France at least) is usually very good.
latest report
Until a few years ago St.Anton usually used to stay open until the first weekend in May. I often skied that weekend with perfect conditions and absolutely nobody else around. Shame they stopped doing that. Sad
snow report
@Steilhang, Area's still open, you just have to walk up! wink
ski holidays
Perfect conditions in March .
snow report
@stanton, Agreed, long ski days and sunny terraces for après! Best snow before lunch but afternoons great high up and north facing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy