Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portillo Chile

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been to Portillo Chile recently? I've got some time off this summer and decided to spend some of it skiing so have booked flights and accommodation at Portillo for the end of August. Has anyone been there recently (my OH went about 10 years ago, which is how I got the idea) and, if so, what runs/routes on and off piste would you recommend? Also, any thoughts on booking a guide?

Thanks for your suggestions. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paging Jimmer
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I set off for Portillo tomorrow and will post a report when I get back.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Enjoy. Cinditions look superb.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.facebook.com/skiportillo
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That makes great viewing from Madrid airport - thank you!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/XT7UeT4PyZ4
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That looks brilliant fun - never seen a lift like that before!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Getting off is tricky.

http://youtube.com/v/H7kBtJ8q0Xo
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking forward to trying it out. I made it up to Portillo after more than 24 hrs of travelling, although big chunks of that were waiting for my connection at Madrid and then waiting for the shuttle at Santiago. The people here are really friendly and helpful as are the other skiers. I'm now wondering whether it was wise to rent twin-tips after watching the video showing lift carnage, but people who've been here before told me that the trick is to wait until it has stopped and then get off one at a time.

This is apparently "Wine Week" at Portillo, which means that a different Chilean winery runs a free tasting every evening starting tomorrow. Looks like I've lucked out on that one Very Happy Very Happy

There is a lot of snow around so I'm hoping to improve my powder technique. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Live it up
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wine recommendation; Carmenere
also try the drink Pisco sour, made with Pisco brandy.
Enjoy Chile!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great day today - will post photos when I've worked out how to do that from iPad. The slingshot lifts are great fun and the snow is great. We get a welcome Pisco sour later this evening. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got some great memories of wine week from our trip to Portillo a few years ago! Also got to meet lots of the international ski teams like the Herminator, Benni, Axl, and Eric Guay. Very friendly guys, nothing like the overpaid prima donnas you seem to get in some sports.

Definitely the trick with the slingshot lifts is to wait till it stops and you then slide out backwards mostly one at a time. Sounds like you are having a great time!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Austrian Olympic team are here and are very friendly and approachable. It's great to see them practising, but they're not out today as visibility is terrible.

Conditions yesterday were lovely for off-piste, especially in the afternoon after the sun had softened it up a little. No sun to soften anything today, but it is snowing so hopefully this afternoon will be nicer and fingers-crossed for powder tomorrow.
ski holidays
I've just returned from a great trip to Portillo. It's undoubtedly a long way to go - I flew LHR to Madrid and then Madrid to Santiago, but the travelling really isn't too bad. Portillo organize shuttles (group or private transfer) between the airport and the resort and the group shuttle is a good way to meet people quickly, but if there are four or more of you a private transfer will be cheaper. The time difference between Chile and the UK is only 4 hours, so jet-lag is much less of an issue than going to Colorado or Utah.

There are 3 types of accommodation at Portillo - Hotel, Octagon Lodge and Inca Lodge. As I was on my own, I opted for the Octagon Lodge. This gives a shared (up to 4 people) en-suite room with access to all the main hotel facilities. The room was comfortable and spacious with 2 people but might have been a bit cramped with 4, unless you are good friends/family. The Inca Lodge is dorm accommodation and Inca residents eat in the self-service cafe rather than the main restaurant and don't get access to facilities such as main bar, hot-tub, gym, etc. Hotel accommodation obviously provides access to all facilities.

The Portillo package includes lift-pass and all meals. The meals are very generous and I thought they were excellent quality with good vegetarian options. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. It's easy to meet new ski buddies because everyone is staying in the same place - it has been described as a bit like a cruise ship. Prices in the bar seemed reasonable, and the fact that I was there in wine week meant that I got free pr-dinner drinks.

The skiing is great, especially if you want to learn, improve and/or just enjoy off-piste skiing. I booked a couple of lessons and when I asked about off-piste guiding my instructor suggested I should just book an afternoon advanced group lesson and he could pretty much guarantee that I would be the only one, so he would take me off exploring! This was great fun and excellent value for money. He took me to places that I would never have reached on my own where the snow was good, even though I wasn't particularly lucky with the weather.

I had a fabulous time and will definitely go back!
snow report
Excellent.

What did your week cost please?

Did you meet our own Jimmer?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy