Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Location for Christmas offpiste

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good destination for a few days skiing during Christmas this year?

We are ideally looking for a location:

1) Close to either Geneva or Zürich airport (1-1,5 hours drive preferably)
2) Good offpiste opportunities, for a beginner/intermediate offpiste skier
3) English speaking guides/instructors
4) Good atmosphere in town

Looking forward to hear any good exeriences and recommendations

Tina
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier.

Welcome to snowHeads BTW Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TinaSellberg, welome to snowHeads.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Contamines.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ischgl, or Arlberg.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd suggest Les Contamines a little low to guarantee* good off piste at Christmas.

* I'd suggest anywhere a little low to guarantee good off piste at Christmas...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
I'd suggest Les Contamines a little low to guarantee* good off piste at Christmas.

* I'd suggest anywhere a little low to guarantee good off piste at Christmas...

The skiing only really starts at Etape at 1470m which is plenty high enough unless it was an extremely poor year. And we just had one of those.

The reason for mentioning Les Contamines is that it's a bit of a snow pocket, has plenty of off piste for those starting out, is 1.5 hour from Geneva and is a pleasant town.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But @Layne, most of the skiing is below 2,000m. Although it's fair to say that if the snow is (unusually) good, being lower and thus on grassy meadows underneath can be better than higher up where you need more depth to cover the rocks.

A poor start to the season last year is no indicator whatsoever as to how the next season will be...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, I'm not sure what you are trying to say tbh. Are you saying it isn't a good recommendation for the OP?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TinaSellberg, St Anton..........there most years end December and I've never been disappointed yet. Only area where could be an issue is Rendl due to rocky terrain but on most grassy slopes even at Christmas there'll be plenty to be had. Meets all your criteria 1-4, albeit distance is nearer 2 hours than 1.5 from Zurich I'd say.

I'll be there anyway so this year will be a good one for sure! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Layne, just not what springs to mind immediately in the area...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd probably book last minute (ish) depending on conditions if off piste is a priority, as Christmas is by no means guaranteed for good and safe coverage.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
musehead wrote:
I'd probably book last minute (ish) depending on conditions if off piste is a priority, as Christmas is by no means guaranteed for good and safe coverage.

Agree with this. Safe Off Piste at Christmas is a bonus in most resorts until the base really builds. I think the Arlberg has as good a chance of anywhere of having suitable coverage.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musehead wrote:

Xmas is not completely high season so you'd be able to find accommodation of some sort.

I'd probably go Verbier or Espace Killy if I absolutely had to book in advance.

It's also not perfect off piste time of year, at all...
latest report
downhillalltheway wrote:
musehead wrote:

Agree with this. Safe Off Piste at Christmas is a bonus in most resorts until the base really builds. I think the Arlberg has as good a chance of anywhere of having suitable coverage.

Really? Since 2008 I haven't had a winter where I haven't been happily skiing offpiste before Christmas. This past season wasn't so good and didn't really get going until the 27th, but even discounting touring after the epic October storm, we still skied powder from the lifts from from mid-Dec onwards.
snow report
Quote:

Except if going to St Anton......... I left it too late last year and didn't get in for the first time ever had to stay at home.....booked already for this Christmas/ New Year.
ski holidays
My recent Christmas trip reports with description of conditions and some photos:

2014 - Tignes
Little or no off piste

2013 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)
Mixed bag - some off piste

2012 - Les Contamines
Lots of very good off piste

2011 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
Heaps of snow - fantastic off piste

2010 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)

2009 - La Plagne

Bear in mind, I am not doing big stuff, my comments above refer to mellow off piste. But you can read the reports for more detail and some visual evidence.
latest report
Tignes might be safest bet of all but a little more than 1.5 hours from Geneva
snow report
I had a weekend of offpiste at the Val Thorens opening weekend around 23rd November last year! Lots of lovely snow - but then it deteriorated markedly after we left apparently, and it was pretty poor by xmas.

The point being - it's pretty hard to say what the conditions will actually be like, even in high resorts (yes, Val T is a long way from Geneva too). The year before I did a fair bit of off-piste around xmas and new year in Chamonix, no problem, and a fair bit in Tignes early December. It changes every year though.
ski holidays
Altitude isn't really an issue at Christmas - it's not like you need to preserve snow through warm spring temps at that point. That NW corner of Austria (Arlberg/Ischgl/Vorarlberg) is usually the snowiest part of Europe, and where I'd look to first. Sure it snow's more higher up IN THE SAME PLACE, but going high in a place that gets less snow isn't going to help you until there's enough snow on the ground to be preserved by the altitude (i.e. Easter).
latest report
@clarky999, Yep, Arlberg gets its snow from north-east weather front, Russia etc and dumps as soon as it hits warmer air systems at Arlberg/ Vorarlberg.............bingo, happy days!! Its not about the altitude as you say...............not long now (ish), you about end December for a few turns? wink
snow conditions
So much nonsense here about Arlberg!
Arlberg does not get snow from North-East. Arlberg gets snow from West and Northwest. Typically so!
Winds from the east are continental, and thus dry and sunny!

Also the Rendl area is not more rocky than the rest of Arlberg. The truth is that Rendl gets much less snow than rest of Arlberg. Due to the Arlbergmassif blocking the western winds getting to Rendl.
In fact Rendl stays closed often early season for this reason.

As mentioned by others: For Christmas, you should be happy you can ski at all on natural snow. (check the start of the last winterseason december 2014!).
Off-piste during Christmas should be considered a bonus. Anywhere.
snow report
@Langerzug, you're right about where the snow comes from (gotta love that Nordstau!) and about Rendl, but wrong - in my opinion - about skiing offpiste at Christmas. Winter 2014 was exceptionally bad, but if you knew where to go there was still fun to be had in Tirol. I've never yet had a Christmas where I couldn't ski offpiste anyway, and normally do ski offpiste from October onwards - whether that's at Stubai or touring in the resorts before they open. NOT being able to ski offpiste at Christmas would be the exception in my experience, and suggesting you'd be lucky to ski natural onpiste snow ANYWHERE then is laughable.

This October was exceptional (though my legs were too knackered after the first hike of the season to ski it properly):

And the end of Christmas week turned out ok in the end too: http://www.luex.com/magazine/2015/01/12/christmas-powder-skiing-for-the-luex-team
snow conditions
Damüls gets the most snow in the Alps and its slopes are well suited for beginner off-piste skiers. Moreover, it's all grass there, so you don't need much snow to go off-piste.
latest report
I've skied at that time of year many times and it really is a lottery to be fair. Snowmaking has meant most resorts now off pretty reliable piste skiing but for off piste you really are in the lap of the gods. Even if there is deep snow, the wind and sun can soon put a crust on it. People have mentioned set Anton which has a great snow record but I'm not sure the off piste skiing there is suited to beginner intermediate off piste skiers.
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Even if there is deep snow, the wind and sun can soon put a crust on it. People have mentioned set Anton which has a great snow record but I'm not sure the off piste skiing there is suited to beginner intermediate off piste skiers.

There's a lot more to enjoyable offpiste than powder - the fact that a wind or sun crust can develop at any point doesn't mean the offpiste is 'unreliable.'

There's plenty of good mellow offpiste in the Arlberg for beginners - far more than most places! It's just that those slopes often get tracked out quickly (less when you head towards Lech/Zürs).
ski holidays
I'm with @clarky999, on this... having no off piste is the exception depending on if you view off piste as purely deep pow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, I stand corrected! wink What I do know is that I've skied every year I've been there at Christmas off piste, and that I've pretty much avoided Rendl (Riffl 2 anyways) to avoid sharks, Maas is usually in great condition as are most grassy slopes.

@clarky999, Agreed, plenty to go at.
ski holidays
We were in Lech last Christmas, four nights, leaving again on December 25.
The weeks before were very nervous, and we have been thinking of canceling.
Skiing was only on artificial snow, and very limited. Still we a great time with sunshine and the pretty village of Lech even had a very thin, but still, white dusting, creating the perfect Christmas atmosphere.
St.Anton was completely brown in the village, with absolutely no Christmas atmosphere. A remarkable difference between Lech (1430 m.) and St.Anton (1300 m.)
Off piste: Zero zero zero
Snow came on December 25/26.
It is true that is was a very exceptional December for Arlberg.
But it is also fair to say that the weeks before Christmas in several years have been very nervous quite often. Thus my remark: Be glad with a village that has a white Christmas (nothing is more depressing to come from England or Holland (thats me) to find a green/brown village) ,and hope for some off-piste.

In general Arlberg needs at least 100 cm of snow to open marked routes like Schindlerkar and Madloch.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 14-08-15 16:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Langerzug, That's why I didn't go last Christmas wink ..... no not really, I left it too late to book and then couldn't get accommodation for a short break, lucky in retrospect. Week 1 February 2015 it was awesome though, as was Wk4 Feb and Wk1 March........it's just weather at the end of the day and you take a chance - we've been 17/18th December in the past and on 15th December slopes have been green, arrived late 16th expecting the worst and skied knee deep powder all weekend on Osthang and Bachseite/ Larches 17/18th. You don't need the big runs to be open to ski powder in Arlberg, that's one of it's advantages, best lift served freeride IMO.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@TinaSellberg, St Anton..........there most years end December and I've never been disappointed yet. Only area where could be an issue is Rendl due to rocky terrain but on most grassy slopes even at Christmas there'll be plenty to be had. Meets all your criteria 1-4, albeit distance is nearer 2 hours than 1.5 from Zurich I'd say.

I'll be there anyway so this year will be a good one for sure! wink

Definitely St. Anton is good place to go!
snow report
Just to add some advice to the above on this thread... I have been powder hunting early season (Christmas and even early December) for the last few years and have had great powder skiing at all of the places listed below.. though have also had truly awful conditions (in the same week or weekend)! So, flexibility (hire a car) and taking the advice of a local guide is key.

Based on that and what you've said, I would recommend hiring a car from Geneva and being flexible about where you go in the Haute Savoie: Chamonix valley is great of course, but the off-piste can get wind scoured very quickly especially Grand Montets and other high-up bits. Plenty of options within easy drive though even if you stay in Cham (or better Argie), either in Italy through the tunnel (have had awesome conditions at Pila) or down the valley (second the recommendation for Les Contamines - had epic powder skiing here last year while the crowds at the GM were scratching around on wind-pack barely covering the rocks!), but also St Gervais, Megeve etc - all depending on local conditions! For English guides, try googling for Rob Jarvis or Jonny Baird.

Many areas within a few hours drive of Innsbruck also very good for this too, as Clarky says.

Just stay away from my tracks Smile
snow report
the obvious answer is being up high (as in altitude) for the offpiste and that makes Chamonix (and close by Courmayeur) as well as Zermatt good choices for early season snow.
anywhere else can be a crap shoot and you just have to get lucky...
latest report
Off piste and Zermatt Puzzled Puzzled rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

anywhere else can be a crap shoot

@chamo74 that Cham bubble must be nice Laughing
ski holidays
Chamonix at chistmas for offpiste isn't ideal. not unless you bring a big bag full of ptex!
ski holidays
@eddiethebus, agree - and I'm a big fan of Cham!

Offpiste in Cham is very limited around xmas time compared to later in the season - I'd head to Austria myself (albeit I go back to Cham anyway for the parties and friends Razz )
ski holidays
I beg to differ that Cham can be good as anywhere xams time...but hey evryone has an opinion Smile
Zermatt has some fab off-piste - worth the trip to check it out.

- just an fyi as many of you probably know already it was a blazing hot summer and as such the glaciers and neve have suffered tremendously. For many places it will take more than an average autumn snowfall to fill in holes and gaps and cover the billions of boulders....
However lots of forecasts as well as local tales are predicting a better than average winter (who the hell knows...). In any event we are off to a good start and certain places (notably Austria) has had some decent skiing already. This week's forecast looks pretty good too! Fingers crossed.
Francis
snow report
courchevel,meribel !!!

http://youtube.com/v/kFvnjobKPAc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy