Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alagna vs St Anton?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I'm planning to do an off piste trip last week January, I've not been to either of these areas. I gather they're both really good but I would be interested in peoples views on how they compare; not necessarily which is best but what the differences are to help me decide.
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
are you after "off piste" or "powder"?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
off piste in all its varieties, of which powder is nice when lucky to get it, happy to skin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@On the rocks, in that case, I know nothing of St Anton, although it comes extremely highly recommended. Alagna is rather excellent as is the rest of the Monterosa area. Foods splendid, wine too. Actually, although I rather like Grüner Veltliner, I don't think Austria has quite such a wine reputation wink

Can't imagine you'd go wrong with either. Nice problem to have...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@On the rocks, If you want somewhere quieter with no apres I'd go to Alagna, if you don't mind crowds/queues and want the best of austrian nightlife I'd go St Anton. Also if cost is a factor, St Anton is a lot more expensive. I love both of them for different reasons but I'd go Alagna over Anton if for off piste & touring
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd agree with comments above .... they are quite different .... lots more lifts in StA and side country stuff and no glaciers.
Monterosa has lots of challenging pretty remote descents .... probably need a guide more in Monterosa .... That's where I'd go Toofy Grin
Heli options too ....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PBJ, Also heli options in the Arlberg. I don't know Monterosa, but it has the reputation of more gnarly terrain than the Arlberg, but a lot less snow and more wind.

Also @under a new name is right about the Piedmont wine; it's swings and roundabouts though as St Anton claims the better beer (Birra Moretti isn't my favourite) wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My perception is that you have a better chance of powder in the Arlberg. As @clarky999, suggests, Monterosa can be quite windy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@On the rocks, Never been to Alagna but ski off-piste a few weeks a season in St Anton, every season - like most places you need to know where to go, and when to go so get a guide, endless opportunity.......... never queued yet btw! Toofy Grin

Great restaurants, après can be quiet or mad (we prefer relaxed, with a live band a couple of evenings during the week), great beer and all good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never been to St Anton but been to Champoluc which is linked via Gressoney to Alagna. Fantastic Ski Area and thumbs up for food and wine (though I enjoy Austrian too). Personally if I did decide on going back to Monterosa I would head for Gressoney as the link to Alagna will get closed if there is too much wind and you will be limited to runs & off-piste. The link was closed half the week we were there and I did not think it was particularly inclement.

If the off-piste is poor and you are limited to on-piste there will be much less in Monterosa than the Arlberg.

There are plenty of guiding company's.

It is a great area.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the rocks wrote:
Hi all,
I'm planning to do an off piste trip last week January, I've not been to either of these areas. I gather they're both really good but I would be interested in peoples views on how they compare; not necessarily which is best but what the differences are to help me decide.

I have been in both. Off-piste in Arlberg is easy to reach and can be done without guiding opposite to Monterosa.
Also, Alagna maybe not best place for accommodation (due to reasons above). Gressoney or Champoluc is better.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the input. I will opt for Alagna.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy