Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Suggestions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to put together a DIY trip over the Easter weekend and need some snowHead help – airfares and timetables mean it looks like we’ll be flying into Treviso, which therefore presumably means the Dolomites. Never been to this area of Italy before, so looking for pointers.

Ideally looking for a resort with:
- A good snow record (Easter is late this year – 16th April)
- A good selection of cheap accommodation (B&B, pension, 1 or 2 star hotel etc.)
- A reasonable range of terrain to keep upper intermediates happy for 4 days

So far on the shortlist I’ve got:

Cortina (too expensive?)
Selva
Corvara
Arabba

Are these all too low for mid-April? Could also consider Passo Tonale, which is a little higher, but have heard that the skiing is not at all challenging.

Any thoughts or ideas? Ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just returned from Canazei, it gives easy access to all of the Sella Ronda and will keep any intermediate happy for a week skiing between the villages. Canazei itself is a very nice village, it has a pool, plenty of bars, resturants and a nice mix of people staying there. The tourist info number (we always do DIY too), is 039 0462 60 24 66 or try info@fassa.com. Happy hunting snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Lorraine. Do you know when their season finishes? The Sella Ronda website doesn't seem to want to give away such useful information!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that unless we have some really good snowfalls in March then skiing in Dolomites in mid-April could be dodgy. I've skied all around the Sella Ronda resorts from Corvara in the first week of March for the past two years, planning to do the same this year, but last year when it warmed up everything got very sloshy lower down, also quite a bit of poling when that happens. Arabba might be better as its a bit higher and I think mostly North facing pistes. Never done Cortina but that is certainly lower still. Sella Ronda is open until 18 April 06 according to the Dolomitiski website.
If snow is good you'll have a great time; the scenery is stunning, skiing good, restaurants and people great.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know Dave, it was our first time to the Sella Ronda this year - maybe one of our more experienced snowheads can help?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave Burt, Never been that late in the season, your fate is in the hands of the weather Gods.

Arabba is at 1600m and does have a number of high North facing runs and is a very nice quiet base.

It's a great area I hope you get the snow to facilitate seeing all of it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your going to go that time of year i would recomend staying at Arabba as it has a good snow record plus most of the runs face north. If the snow gets a little patchy head for the Marmolada Glacier.
I stayed there last year and the snow was great but that was in January.
Not sure what it would be like in April but i do know they ski on the Glacier all summer there.
http://www.arabba.it/piantina_invernale-e.htm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
would echo comments abovce. We were in Canazei last Easter. No snow at all down there. Once you got on the lifts and up high it was better but slushy on lower slopes and especially in afternoons. Easter was earlier last year too. The lift pass gives you access to loads of skiing. I thought that if I returned I would stay around Arrabe. It was nice there. Passed through doing the Sella Ronda - good fun but doesnt take as long as some people say and also on the way to Marmalada. Liked Marmalada at the top but there were loads of stones lower down which was a shame. Selva Gardena was lower down and seemed really slushy - think it has a repuatrtion for getting loads of sun later in the season so might be best not to base yoruself there. Nice town though.

Apparently the area has a slight dodgy snow record. Going later than I went last year I would wait until nearer teh time to decide exactly where you go. The Dolomiti Superski website has loads of links to hotels - just email and ask what they will offer. They will be glad of the business at that time of year.

I wasa relying on teh extensive artficial snow making. Unfortunately it was too hot for them to work though. We had some snowfall unexpectedly which saved our holiday. When we arrived for our 8 day trip the ski hire shop and lift co suugested we book just for three or four days and see how things were after that.

I would like to go again. Plus the slopes were very quiet - loads of terrain available - fingers crossed for the weather.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy