Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oops. Bucket handle tear of medial meniscus

Poster: A snowHead
Did you hear the one about the bloke who fell out of the bath and tore his cartilage? You have now. Being a man, I ignored it and went on a fifty mile bike ride, ignoring the sawing sensation and burning pain and just carried on, basically one legged, rather than quitting. Fast forward a couple of months and I'll be going in for an arthroscopy this Saturday morning. It turns out that the sawing pain was a dislodged fragment embedding itself in my MCL (?).

Anyway, no point worrying about it, I'm sure I'm in good hands and am looking forward to getting back to normal.

I have a quick question, if anybody can help? How soon after the operation should I be thinking about physio?

Thanks,

Martin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Before you have it.... Judging by the horror in the physio's face when I saw her just before my operation for locked knee due to the way my meniscus cartilage tore, and when she asked about the physio I had been doing and I told her none as at no point had it been suggested.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, +1. There's always something you can do
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ouch, hope the op goes ok.

Had one too, hope you have been building the leg up as much as possible before the op, makes recovery so much easier.

I did two weeks skiing in Banff a month before my op, 6 weeks after the tear - on the surgeons advice wink although he was a skier.

Had to wait 3 weeks after op before doing any serious leg work in the gym, but started first day out of hospital doing some form of physio - but did have other stuff while they were in there - removal of old metalwork from some years ago.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Prob too late now as opp on sat but as soon as poss afterwards they will give you exercises to do after opp I had both knees done together 4 weeks later went to snowdome and made a few turns no problem Good luck
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Morning all. Dozy me forgot to tick 'watch topic'. Thanks for the input and information. Both knees together, brock? Good effort!!!

I've hopefully got myself lined up a good physio (he's a skier and looks after county level cricketers, so I think he knows a bit about knees).

I was reasonably fit and have continued to get out on my bike where possible, albeit for flatter rides, and the surgeon seemed happy with the condition of my leg, so fingers (?) crossed.

Thanks again!

M
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A quick update. It went very well. The tear was to the inside and rear of my left knee. The surgeon wasn't able to stitch it, so the offending piece was removed.

The whole experience was absolutely great, completely hassle- and stress-free. I'm taking it easy, obviously, but I'm not in any pain or discomfort at all, which is a bit of a surprise to say the least.

Follow-up appointments with the surgeon and the physio are booked and they're both confident of a good recovery. Hurrah!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
twodogs, good news , wishing you a swift recovery Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, Bones. There's life in the old (two)dog(s) yet!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@twodogs, hope it goes well. My 11 year old has had surgery to repair her tear and has spent the last four weeks not being allowed to weight bear. Hopefully she will be on one crutch in 10 days time and has already started physio. At least she did her injury ski ing...., but I expect it will be quite a while before she can get back to normal
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey, @chrisb. Eleven? Aw, that's no age at all, is it? I really hope it goes well.

I think I've got off lightly by the look of things, so far at least. The surgeon said I was okay to bear weight from the off and, yesterday, I took a tentative walk around the block. Not far, maybe half a mile in total and I took my crutches just in case. But it was fine. Current pain level on a 0 - 10 scale is 2 at the most, so I'm really, really happy at the moment and need to reign in the temptation to overdo it. I'm even starting to get used to the surgical stockings, although I doubt I'll be keeping them on voluntarily afterwards...with those and the gown, I pulled off a more than decent Mrs Doubtfire impression.

The only negative thing so far was my choice of sandwich when I came round: grated cheese on brown bread. Seriously, what was I thinking of? I think swallowing gravel would've been easier!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A repaired tear needs longer to recover before physio than a trim. I was discharged a few hours after the latter clutching instructions about a progressive series of exercises to be done before seeing the surgeon again. I started the simplest ones after that delicious first cup of tea. As I did the abdominal ones, after having the kids. But they must be the right exercises. With gentle progression.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well my 11 year old is now walking around with no crutch and has been swimming a couple of times. Scars are nice and tidy so hopefully she will continue to progress. Her biggest issue so far has been a sore heal and ankle from not walking for so long but the physios seem to know how to deal with that. It will take some time I think but the surgeon has discharged her saying - knee is fixed, our job is done, now for rehab. Hard to believe really as her knee was f**ked, locked etc in the middle of June
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like great progress, @chrisb, snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
twodogs wrote:
Did you hear the one about the bloke who fell out of the bath and tore his cartilage? You have now. Being a man, I ignored it and went on a fifty mile bike ride, ignoring the sawing sensation and burning pain and just carried on, basically one legged, rather than quitting. Fast forward a couple of months and I'll be going in for an arthroscopy this Saturday morning. It turns out that the sawing pain was a dislodged fragment embedding itself in my MCL (?).

Anyway, no point worrying about it, I'm sure I'm in good hands and am looking forward to getting back to normal.

I have a quick question, if anybody can help? How soon after the operation should I be thinking about physio?

Thanks,

Martin

Apologies a bit slow getting back here.

Usually i start physio 5 to 7 days after the arthroscopy.

Jonathan Bell
latest report
Thanks, Jonathan.

The hospital physio gave me exercises to start straight away, mainly extensions and some stretches. I went back after a couple of weeks and was signed off as doing well, and given additional exercises, including standing on one leg with my eyes closed, which I find strangely enjoyable. Unless I'm on an escalator.

I'm making steady progress, I think. It's almost four weeks now and I'm walking properly, there's no discernable trace of a limp at all.

I'm back to walking around five miles (mainly flat) and cycling up to twenty (again, mainly flat and with a higher rpm and in lower gears than I'm used to, to keep the load down) at a time. I'm due to see the surgeon again in mid September and BUPA have authorised half a dozen sessions with my preferred physio, who originally diagnosed the injury (Leics County Cricket club's first team physio).

The operated knee is definitely sometimes warmer than the other, and occasionally swollen, although I can't correlate that to exercise or activity. Should I be worried? It's not uncomfortable.

My personal experience suggests that I did the right thing in having the arthroscopy. If nothing else, the sawing pain has gone and the knee itself feels strong and getting stronger.
latest report
After a straight forward medial meniscus tear you should be about ready to jog at 6 weeks.

Would be common for a bit of warmth at this stage.

Make sure you dont do enough to trigger an effusion.

Jonathan Bell
latest report
Brilliant, thanks for the advice. Especially the last paragraph. Noted with many thanks!
snow report
@Jonathan Bell, what exactly is an effusion - just that it was mentioned on my girl's last letter from the surgical team - that she did not have much of an effusion
ski holidays
@chrisb, swelling
snow report
@NickyJ, cheers
snow report
chrisb wrote:
@Jonathan Bell, what exactly is an effusion - just that it was mentioned on my girl's last letter from the surgical team - that she did not have much of an effusion

The knee produces a lubricating fluid.

An amount is made each day and resorbed.

When the knee is inflamed it makes too much so it collects in the knee and is seen as a puffy knee.

It is therefore a sign that the knee is irritable and needs to be treated with care ( and ice usually)

Jonathan Bell
latest report
@Jonathan Bell, thanks. The main challenge at the moment is trying to control her so she does not over do things. So far so good but still feels like walking on thin ice
ski holidays
Hi folks,

I have Just had a Athroscopy on my left knee to repair 2 meniscus tears (in opposite directions) in mid July. I injured the knee on last years SHBB. Unfortunately i didn't get the the diagnosis till later on in the year. I did hope the recovery time would be a couple of weeks before i could walk without pain or swelling. This wasn't the case i was in fact still feeling pain and swelling for about 6 weeks. I have just had my first physio session and been given an exercise guide. I'm starting to ride my bike to help recovery and booked in for some acupuncture therapy. Since surgery i have noticed pain on occasions at the back of the knee, to the left and right of the knee cap, a pain running down the shin bone (like cramp) and my ankle cracking when i try to rotate it all the time after i wake up in the morning. The knee appears to lock on occasions also after a 20min dog walk. Good news after physio showed that i only have a -15% knee rotation, bad news was i have alot of muscle wastage on left leg.

Just wondered if any one else has had a similar experience as the Dr first stated i should be up and about at work after 2 weeks?
snow report
@dreadnaught,

Recovery plan may have been ambitious for a repair as opposed to a trim of the meniscus.

I get physio started on day one with first outpatient visit on day 5 to 7.

So i think you got going a bit slowly.

That could account for the niggles.

If they don't settle in next month go back to the surgeon

Jonathan Bell
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy