Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz, Val d`Isère, Pragelato Vialattea: which Club Med should I stick to in Jan 2016?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
I am planning to ski in Europe with a group of friends in January 2016. Plans are to stay in a Club Med resort, due to its facilities and ski lessons (we have been to one in St. Moritz and enjoyed it; we also know Chamonix, but not the Club Med). The group shall be composed of 8-10 men, beginners and intermediate level skiers and snowboarders, in their late 30's, interested in good skiing and some nightlife. An easy to reach place from an airport is a must, as we will be coming from Brazil.
We were thinking in one of these three: Avoriaz, Val d`Isère, Pragelato Vialattea. Which one do you think would suit us the best?
Thanks a lot,
gus
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to the ClubMed Chamonix this January. An hour from Geneva airport with easy and accessible transfer at about 60 euro return. ClubMed transfers packages are great but unless they are including your flight from home are very expensive as a stand alone (though there are six of you!). The rooms are great and all six of us had our own (ask for the disabled rooms). Food and facilities are great. Chamonix is not the most convenient resort but there is a ski area behind the ClubMed resort with access by a couple of lifts (and a Clubmed restaurant on it). Alternatively they bus everyone enmasse to the other areas - argentiere, le tour, les houches and the coach brings you home. Lunch is either up the mountain or early returns if you wish for lunch at the hotel (we stayed up the mountain and bus's it back once).

Avoriaz is in a great ski area. Not as atmospheric as Chamonix. Hotel not as good but comfortable. Again about 90 minutes from Geneva. I used the Clubmed transfers which were great (just tow of us in a minibus). Hotel right on the slopes!

Never been to the more expensive Val D' isere ClubMed. Looks nice as I have skied past it. Easily accessible for the slopes. Transfers about 3 hours to Val from Geneva if traffic good. IN my view best ski area!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gume, if you are all beginners/intermediates I think you'd find Avoriaz a little more convenient and suitable than Val d'Isere. That said, Vd'I could (!) be more snow sure...although I've never looked at it from a beginners point of view.

Pragelato I don't know (although I skied Sauze as a kid in around 1976) but looks as though you have to take a cable car in and out of the ski area which would annoy me (especially as Avoriaz will be ski in and out).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoriaz was OK for snow at the start of last season when many around it were still green, so no worries on that front.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mjit, you can't draw a conclusion from one datum.

The surrounding area wasn't too hot early in the season...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can get ClubMed Transport - I'd do that it would remove any issues for you.

I'd suggest Avoriaz as a good base for a mixed group

PS Do lots of ClubMed - But haven't been to that one. Have skied Avoriaz
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everybody for your help. I am considering Avoriaz as our best bet.
We are thinking in going on January 17th, for a week. As far as snow is concerned, is it a good time or should we postpone the trip a little bit to try to get a better snow?
Thanks again,
gus
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can never guarantee the snow but Avoriaz is reasonably high so you should be OK. You may get better WEATHER later in the year but the snow might be melting Smile or not

PS Welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gume, you wouldn't want to postpone too much as the French vacances scolaires kick off on Feb 7. Predicting snow conditions with such accuracy isn't possible anyway.

For beginners and presumably some of the intermediates you won't really need access to the other areas anyway. I don't think you'd go wrong with either Vd'I or Avoriaz, I'd probably go Avoriaz for convenience. Especially of meeting up for luncheon.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a brand new Club Med in Val Thorens - very swish!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booked for next year Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Val D'isere Club Med is good, ski in and out. They had an arrangement with the Tignes one whereby if your ski instructor takes you for a day over there you can stop at that club med for lunch (not sure if it still applies). The ski room is big - each room has an assigned locker there so plenty of storage. The club rooms there are small though (at least compared to the one in St. Moritz) but pretty normal for France. There is also a bus stop right outside which gets you down close to the town center so if you fancy a change from the club Med bar its easy to get there. I stayed a week a few years ago with some friends and thoroughly enjoyed it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy