Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of GB to reinstate leading in France next year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@stewart woodward, SC website says Evo2's involvement will be restricted to 2 half days and one full day

Regarding the costs of the new proposals I posted this on the SC chat forum:

I've done some very simple calculations based on guesstimates. The cost of the Leader/Ambassador service as shown in the 2014 accounts was £226,000. There were 29 resorts, so about £7,800. The 2 NA resorts would be more expensive, so let's say the European resorts cost £7,500 each.
My experience is that professional guides cost about £60/hour, so £180 for a half day and £360 for a full day. For 16 weeks of the season and based on 2 day equivalents per week the cost of Evo2 would be about £11,500, £4,000 more than the existing cost above.
Charging members £10 for half a day and £20 for a full day would require the SC to sell 200 half days and 100 full days per season to 'recover' the £4,000. Over a 16 week season this equates to 12.5 half days and just over 6 full days per week. This is probably a realistic expectation.

Since posting I realise that the cost I have used for guides should be €, not £. This means that there are even less days that the SC has to sell to came out with the same cost as previously.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Mason wrote:
@stewart woodward, SC website says Evo2's involvement will be restricted to 2 half days and one full day

All day Saturday, half days, Sunday & Friday afternoons wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stewart woodward, Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCGB leaders' accommodation (and I think lift pass) was donated by the resorts, not paid by the club.

Non members skiing with the leader was normal. But if they wanted to ski more than one day of that week they had to join (it was cheaper to join in the mountain).

I think this may be the start of the demise of the club. Skiing free with the rep was the reason i joined. Later I stayed for the holidays. (The ski Club Holidays are great and I'm sure will continue as a separate company if the club folds). Now I only occasionally go on those holidays so I'm not sure why I stay....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
SCGB leaders' accommodation (and I think lift pass) was donated by the resorts, not paid by the club.

Well, if
Quote:
The cost of the Leader/Ambassador service as shown in the 2014 accounts was £226,000
then it would look like the club are picking up the tab for accommodation otherwise I can't see how the cost gets that high. I still can't understand why they are charging extra for something that is the main benefit of being a member. Imagine the AA turning up to your breakdown and asking for a £20 admin fee.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't be a heathen, man!
The natives might give up the digs to us but we can't have our chaps suffering the squalor locals would put up with. A few quid equipping the mud hut with decent furnishings and stocking the bar is fair on expenses, you think not?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="limegreen1"]
robboj wrote:
@hawkesbaynz, Not surprised about the lack of knowledge. I noticed and posted last winter that the reps who had been at Zell for years had all been bumped in favour of the some of the 'chosen ones' who'd lost their lgigs in France.[/quote

How can anyone, let alone the "chosen ones" have "lost their gig" in France last year ....the SCGB were represented last season in France ! Silly post ...

No not a silly post actually. Of the (IIRC) 6 individuals who repped in Zell am See in 2015 only one had repped there before. The old reps, many of whom had been there for years had almost all been replaced by new ones. I did read the biographies and I think only one even admitted to having skied in Austria before, never mind ZamS. Funnily enough they had all repped before, lots of times, mainly in France. Funny that they were all suddenly desperate to rep elsewhere for 2015. Maybe there was only non leading 'ambassadors' allowed in France or something....

And another thing. One of the old reps told me at the end of his 2014 stint that he wouldn't be back. There was no obvious reason why he was stopping and he was politely evasive on questioning but once I read the SCGB announcement about France I was pretty sure that my two and two made four.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robboj, I know of a leader who worked in France as an ambassador last winter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pruman wrote:
I still can't understand why they are charging extra for something that is the main benefit of being a member. Imagine the AA turning up to your breakdown and asking for a £20 admin fee.

An interesting perspective.

I suppose the answer is you either pay up or there is no SCGB affiliated guiding on offer in France.

How this will be perceived by members and the public at large will depend on how good SCGB marketing skills are.

Not much feedback on SCGB forum but it is usually moribund anyway - Harrumph Corner terrified David Goldsmith will make another appearance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy