Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engadin, Switzerland resorts of Scuol, Ftan etc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our group has provisionally planned to go back to Obergurgl in January but a couple of them have just visited this area as part of a summer holiday and were much taken with it.

Looking at the piste map is isn't extensive but their seems a reasonable mixture of runs albeit many of them look a bit similar in directions etc. Maybe just different tiers of the same slope etc?

Looking at a bigger map I realise it is actually quite a good hub to visit many other resorts in Switzerland, Austria and Italy but thats not really what we like to do on holiday. Jumping in a car or other transport every day and rushing around the countries clocking up miles seems far to much like work!

As a mainly intermediate group with a couples of cautious, blue only skiers, who are all on the high side of lifes averages and like well maintained pistes of good cold January snow (and a lack of T-bars) has anyone any thoughts on whether we should consider further?

Using Easyjet flights into Milan we would be there for eight nights. Is there enough locally to keep us amused?

Would be grateful for any thoughts or advice? Forum search is not showing much that I haven't already worked out for myself?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to Nauders Reschen Pass Austria/Italy in Jan which is half an hours drive from Scuol, which I'd recommend if you wanted a day elsewhere. We did look into going to Scuol for a day trip but the conditions were worse than Nauders after rain the week before. Seem to remember a few drag lifts on the Scuol map. Schöneben 10 minutes on from Nauders would be great for your group. Hundreds of acres of beautifully smooth pisted runs new chairlifts everywhere and not a drag lift in sight. Too small for a week though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@robboj, have only skied in Scuol a couple of time, but have always found it to be a nice place with something to suit everyone from beginner to expert (i.e off piste). Whether it would keep you happy for a week depends on what kind of skiing you like. It racking up miles is your thing then this is not the place for you. If finding a nice slope and skiing it over and over is your thing then you'll be fine.
I personally love the village and visit in summer from time to time to do some MTB and just generally relax.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HutToHut, @Steilhang, Many thanks.

@HutToHut, Your post jogged my memory about the picture of Nauders you posted back in January. I've developed a passionate dislike of pre holiday snow quantity/quality stress in the last couple of years so maybe not?

@Steilhang, Those aspects are perfect for us but as stated above don't like the snow risk. If the winter turns out nice and cold and snowy I can always go to Scuol for a second trip in March.

So, Obergurgl in January it is.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@robboj, the photo from Nauders Bergkastel base is a smidge under 1400m so high for Austria. IIRC most of the Tyrol got the rain the week before. St Anton had it according to those on the transfer bus. Have you looked at Obertauern?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@HutToHut, Yes but I really liked Obergurgl and quite happy to give it another whirl. When you posted that pic it was a winter wonderland and had been for weeks. I'm no expert but I would dread to think of the combination of weather factors that would have given rain at 2000m+Shocked

That said will go to Obertauern some time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy