Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trip to the Alps - Booked

Poster: A snowHead
@holidayloverxx, Or get Carte Neige with the lift pass - probably much cheeper
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So is this something that you need to book in advance? I love the idea of this day trip - but like the idea of seeing the weather forecast for the following week and doing it on a whim. Or do train tickets get sold out way in advance, or prices go up?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Handy Turnip, The train ticktes go up. Expect about £300 return. That is if they are not all sold the day you plan to go
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, Not sure the carte neige would cover medical repatriation though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cad99uk, It does
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, Do you rely on it yourself or do you have additional insurance?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my mountaineering insurance covers skiing, but I have friends who rely on it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers @johnE, I guessed as much - shame as it would have made a fun impromptu trip!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hope this is not your Dad's last ski trip. He could go with you if your Mum will not ski now. Mr Mogulski and I are just living for the day we are old enough to get a free ski pass at most resorts. We already get reduced rate but freebi - great. Unfortunately they keep putting up the age when you get a free pass so we still aren't any nearer!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mogulski, And so it goes. Accept it - you will never be old enough
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
@cad99uk, It does
It does, but I think it depends on the level of cover. IIRC there are three levels of Carte Neige (the annual policy). I think the basic policy doesn't cover repatriation.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx, Yes good point! Better make a note of that so i don't forget.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am 67 and have no problems skiing 8 day holidays, skiing off piste all day. Some of the people I ski with are a couple of years older, some are 10 or 20 years younger. We sometimes ski 45º slopes and ski gentler slopes fast. We hike up on skins to ski interesting slopes. I'm not that fit and don't do any other sport. I don't understand why your father can't ski for many years yet. And is your mother so selfish she won't let him go off for a proper few day holiday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowball, back up there!

1. My Mum is not selfish - You are jumping to conclusions
2. My Dad has not put a pair of Skis on for over 10 years
3. Thanks for sharing your ability to ski steeps Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think this is a wonderful present for his Dad and who knows, it might just whet the appetite for him to want to ski a little more. Well done chrisrawles, hope you and your Dad have a great time!!
snow report
I think my parents (or a similar age to your dad) would have more issues with the 2x nights in a train chair than they would with skiing.

Would a cheeky weekend trip via plane really not be a 'nicer' re-introduction for your dad than the train?
latest report
@kat.ryb, This opens up a whole another can of worms.

Airport parking
2hr check in
Travel to the airport
Coach transfers to resort blah blah blah

We are 45 minutes away from Kings X via train and 10 minute walk to the train station from home. Its a no brainer.
snow conditions
chrisrawles wrote:
Its a no brainer.

For some people, yes. For others, (me!) who can't sleep unless they're lying down, in darkness and silence, it would be a nightmare. I would arrive almost crying with tiredness, headache, a bad back and a worse temper. I wouldn't be in any state to ski! But you know your dad so I guess you know if he can sleep anywhere.
snow conditions
@maggi, I agree it is not the most comfortable way to do it. ( I did it twice last season). But I actually arrived far more chilled than I would if flying. If i supply my Dad enough wine before we get on the train he won't even be aware of the 9 hour journey.
ski holidays
@chrisrawles,A couple of my friends took the first class overnight eurostar train from Ashford to Bourg and were plied with some much complimentry wine on the way down that walking was a bit of a challenge when they got off. But of course they could they ski all day. It appears that some people can take overnight travel and some people cannot.

In one aspect I agree with @kat.ryb, staying overnight in Bourg before returning on the Sunday night sleeper might have been more fun all around. That is assuming both of you can be a little late getting into work on Monday morning.
ski holidays
chrisrawles, just reading this thread for the first time. It sounds like a brilliant idea. I am sure it will all go well and be thoroughly enjoyed by all. Hopefully your dad will be re-energised and want to go again - for longer. If he does, I recommend one of the bashes for good varied company of all ages, good value and the ability to take a day off if it all becomes too much skiing hard for consecutive days
ski holidays
@chrisrawles, sorry if I dissed your mum but I couldn't understand why her not wanting to ski again meant your dad couldn't.
Personally I always take the sleeper train from Paris - I wouldn't get any sleep otherwise and at my age I need it - especially before a day skiing. If your father hasn't skied for 10 years it will certainly come back quite quickly (but might take more than a day). My first day is never quite a full day as I get tired but that gets me going and the other days are full days.
latest report
Also my point wasn't that I ski well but that you said this would probably be your father's last ski trip because of his age. I was a bit shocked. I was trying to show that it not only needn't be his last trip by a long way but he could ski at a high level, not just playing around on easy slopes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy