Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted - Austrian hotel with its own not too rowdy apres ski bar which also serves food

Poster: A snowHead
Why not Hotel Jenewein, Obergurgl, then you can still use the Josl!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not Hotel Jenewein, Obergurgl, then you can still use the Josl!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boabski, I had never heard of Kappl so I thank you for telling me as this seems a little gem. It will not suffice for the trip I am talking about here as certain people in my group would not be happy with a relatively small resort and neither will they be happy to get the bus to Ischgl. However, this resort is now on my personal bucket list and thank you for mentioning it.

@Corky, I have been in touch with the Piz Buin and Niki's and this may well indeed fit the bill. They have said we can just have B&B and eat in Niki's and they will reserve us a table for 10 every night. The only drawback is the hotel may be too expensive for some of my guys (why has skiing become so expensive), so I will have to see what they say, nevertheless it could well work and thanks a lot for pointing it out. Btw, do you know of any UK operators that use this hotel?

@David Pratt I know the Jenewein but that was many years ago and they only had an umbrella bar then for apres ski. Has something changed now, is there an apres ski bar inside?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, all changed now, it has a bar facing the slope coming down, which they put a roof over over when the sun goes down, all connected to the main hotel. Its not the livliest bar in the world but its nice and serves decent food.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think I'd walk the 15 paces from the Piz Buin to the Kitzloch. Slightly more mature crowd and a more cheezy german take on apres that stops at 7, becoming a restaurant that's home to some of the best BBQ ribs in the alps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Kitzloch was our favourite!! Wonderful dinner afterwards on our evening out from the chalethotel as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This has to be the most curiously specific set of requirements I have come across on Snowheads. (No criticism intended). Many hotes have an apres bar. Almost all hotels sell food. Very few in my experience sell food in the apres bar, staff are way too busy dispensing beer and willys.

The exceptions to that rule tend to be the bars on the hill with rooms. What about the Schneekarhutte in Mayrhofen. Downside is being trapped on the hill every night Great fun for a big group for a few nights (we did it before it poshed up the sleeping arrangements, Austrian 10 anyone?) but I'm not sure I would want to be there every evening of a trip.

Its apres such as it is would wind down by 4pm anyway as lifts close.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the most curiously specific set of requirements I have come across on Snowheads

@Ghost Dog, agreed, just about every small/ medium sized hotel I've ever stayed in in Austria meets the criteria, beers/ après, then food......seems a perfectly normal carry-on, either in-house food after après or within a 50m walk! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Schneggarei in Lech does not have rooms. But it indeed does suit the description of a not too rowdy bar with good food very well
Schneggarei belongs to the next-door Almhof Schneider ($$$$$)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, as I said before I have been lucky enough to have stayed in over 50 ski resorts and have done a few seasons but I have only ever come across 1 bar that fits this criteria and that was the Hotel Josl's Keller Bar in Obergurgl but they have now decided to open it at 9pm instead of 4pm. Because my criteria is so specific I need to ask the help of Snowheads who collectively have a vast amount of experience. I asked you to give me some examples of your "just about every" hotel that fits this criteria and you were good enough to name a few. I contacted all of them and the only one that does fit it is Sigi's Bar in the Hotel Jaegerwirt in Kitzbuhel which is now on my list of possibles so thank you.

For the record we want to eat during apres ski and not after apres ski so that knocks out "just about every" hotel for starters and we don't want to walk 50 metres. It might sound nuts to you and numerous others but that is what we want to do. Part of this is due to the fact that there are 10 of us and so getting a table say in an apres ski bar and then in a restaurant is not easy and usually involves waiting around, or sitting at separate tables or squeezing onto a smaller table. So we want to have a sort of base from 4pm until whenever every night, so as a group if someone needs to go off somewhere or gets delayed they know where we will be.

Niki's Stadl attached to the Piz Buin also fits the criteria and that was suggested by Corky on this thread. The only problem is it is a bit expensive for some of the guys and also no UK tour operators go there, but nevertheless it is a great suggestion and is certainly on the list.

@Langerzug I have been in contact with the Schneggarei and whilst I will visit there myself this coming season it doesn't fit the bill for my group of 10, but thanks for the input. [/b]

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 13-08-15 18:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@waitrose, fair do's. Willis Pilzstube in Stuben?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does it have to be austria? If not farinet in verbier is exactly what you are after
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, aha, now we are on the same page! Thanks a lot. I have sent Willi an email. Any more ideas? I should tell you that to a large extent as I am fortunate to ski so often nowadays that I just go and get on with it. But this group I am trying to organise has certain dynamics within it that I am trying hard to get it just right which is not going to be easy - probably impossible but I can but try.

@ajc2260626, thanks for the suggestion but it has to be Austria. I also don't like the Farinet at all and I am not a big fan of Verbier either.....................yes I know, sorry! Thanks for thought though. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
no apology needed farinet is not everyones cup of tea
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks.
With Tannbergerhof out of the question, I think you can stop looking at Lech alltogether. No alternatives left.
ski holidays
@waitrose, Willi's is great btw, very good atmosphere and great food. Very Happy
latest report
back on Lech, how about Pfefferkorns? I haven't price checked against the other Lech hotels

in Soll, how about the Hexenalm? Has après and all day food and not as young as the website would imply. Depends what month you visit.
snow report
Pfefferkorn is similar to Tannbergerhof. Maybe even a bit pricier.
snow conditions
Griabli in St Anton? Great après, best pint in the Alps and some accommodation above?
ski holidays
Hitel Jenwin in oburgurgle, ski into the apres bar which is on the slope next to the door, then go into the downstairs bar on an evening, great place and some fun games to play with hammer and nails..
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
Griabli in St Anton? Great après, best pint in the Alps and some accommodation above?

If I remember correctly, kitchen is closed after 14.30.
ski holidays
@boabski, yeah but ever ordered a schnitzel half way through the Snowtones?!

It's a great place, I agree. New bedrooms since the extension last year look smart too. Worth a look
@waitrose, it's full-on though, you need to have a liking for Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and the heaviest of 70/80/90's heavy metal! Best burger in town, proper ski in/out and it ain't cheap.......but where is?
latest report
@waitrose, You could take a look at the Happy Alm in Filzmoos. They have a very popular après from 15.30 - 18.00 (prompt) and will serve dinner as soon as the après is finished.
ski holidays
What about Mooserwirt in St Anton? Ok it does get rowdy, but I think they still do food - good food at that - during apres ski, and now have their own hotel.

Maybe Hinterhag in Saalbach? I don't know where it is in relation to the famous Hinterhagalm apres bar, but it lists a lounge/bar as one of its restaurants: http://www.hotel-hinterhag.at
ski holidays
The Hinterhag Hotel in Saalbach is about 100m from the Hinterhag Alm - I.e almost next door. Apres at the Alm is world famous. Sadly, the food at the Alm is some of the poorest fare available in the resort and not served in the evening anyway. The hotel however gets good reviews for comfort, food and service.

Another Saalbach possibility for the OP - Apartments Astrid / Kohlmaisstubn. Ski in/out on piste 51, on the mountain but only 5 mins easy walk to the centre of Saalbach. Nearest lift 30 secs away on skis. Very good food and a friendly bar. If they do a breakfast service e.g rolls delivered, then this looks to tick all of the boxes. (The bakery next to Bobby's does a delivery service).
snow report
@clarky999, and @quinton, Seven consecutive nights of the Hinterhagalm would make for an interesting holiday! However the OP has said that he wants to eat during apres-ski and doesn't want to walk 50 meters (between bar and restaurant). Also the Hotel Hinterhag may be a bit pricey, as he has discounted several hotels on price. The Kohlmaisstub'n is excellent for food but possibly somewhat lacking as an apres-ski bar. In Saalbach I still think that staying in Hotel Central, and using Bobby's Pub across the road (is that less than 50 meters?) as the base for drinking and dining, provides the best combination of inexpensive but decent accommodation, convivial apres-ski and easy, flexible meal times - provided of course that it's not considered too cheap and cheerful - but the food's good enough for us several times a week! And if the group's into televised sport they'll be in heaven!
snow conditions
@waitrose, -you are another David Goldsmith sock puppet and I claim my bottle of toffee vodka reward Laughing
snow report
Quote:

What about Mooserwirt in St Anton

@clarky999, Rowdy isn't the word I'd use......more like crazy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Einari78, don't think so and definitely serve some tasty food in the evenings.
snow report
@boabski, Yep Puzzled
ski holidays
Scrumpy wrote:
@waitrose, -you are another David Goldsmith sock puppet and I claim my bottle of toffee vodka reward Laughing

It's like that character out of Little Britain who tries to rent a film with a very specific plot.
snow report
@Gerry, oh the too piratey pirate memory game...

Those Mr Mann clips were funny...

//misses point...//
ski holidays
@lampygirl, http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4n167_little-britain-mr-mann-film_fun
snow report
What about the Giggijoch in Solden? Not too rowdy apres and decent food served all day (and eve)? Not a hotel tho, but the Hotel Garni Sunshine is less than 100 yards away and is cheap with great breakfast.
snow conditions
the strass , mayrhofen . ice bar? ok ,maybe not, but the bar and grill or the sports bar fit the bill and all part of the same hotel . and as the name implies the bar and grill serves food.
http://www.hotelstrass.com/
snow report
Try the hotel jenvwin in oburgurgle.. Used to have the witchery bar downstairs... Great stuff, complete with hammer and nail game
snow report
@waitrose, The Jegerwirt, Kitzbuhel has a bar that is sometimes busy, sometimes not. Friendly bar staff, range of beers and plenty of seating. It also has a piano lounge where there is sometimes entertainment but can easily be used as a quiet space to get a few drinks.
latest report
@Corky, and anyone else, does Niki's Stadl get very packed with music so loud you can't hear each other talk and what type of music do they play? Also, is there anywhere to sit outside if the weather is good?

I am going to post a separate thread on Niki's but I am asking here just in case you don't see the other thread.
snow report
Edelweiss & Gurgl Obergurgl
snow report
Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions, brilliant.

@Markymark29, out of courtesy to you for suggesting Willi's Pilzstube, just to let you know that I have contacted them and waiting to hear from them. Whatever happens I will be going there at some point as it seems great.

@skilegs, I have been to Obergurgl many times and also worked a full season there but have not been there for about 18 years (wow, scary how time passes) and of course things have changed. You have mentioned the Edelweiss and others here have mentioned the Jenewein. With regards to the Edelweiss it previously had just a simple umbrella bar outside and inside there was just a normal hotel bar mostly for residents and not really what you would class as an apres ski bar, so what does it have now?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy