Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl 2105/16

Poster: A snowHead
@handbag, I'm planning on doing number 80 into Samnaun tomorrow. I did no 60 into Samnaun earlier on this week but it's way shorter. Hadn't done no 60 before so I didn't know what it was like.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The car park is on the edge of the village so most people won't even see it and those who use it won't see much of it during their stay.
Ischgl has such a good lift system and snow making facilities precisely because all profits are reinvested. No shareholder has ever received a dividend.
@stanton, makes a good point reference private housing. I've often wondered where everyone lives as every building seems to be a business of some description.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On my way back from Galtur yesterday I got off the bus at the 'Tunnel Prenner' stop which is obviously a new stop, just so I could see what it was like and where it went to. It only took a couple of minutes to walk through and I was on the escalator going up to the Pardatschgrat. All very easy and convenient. I could have stayed on the bus and got off at Florianparkplatz and walked up to Pardatschgrat from there but it was actually quicker to get off the bus early and walk through the tunnel straight onto the lift.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@handbag, I went to Ischgl on the 19th-26th April 2014 and could still ski red 80 into Samnaun village! They are grooming geniuses at Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@handbag, + 1 .
I got back on Sun from a great week there. As well as pistes in excellent condition bearing in mind the mild weather and lack of snow the lift system is first rate - almost all modern.
Also the restaurants on piste are great value and high quality. Only possible downside compared to the big French resorts is the lack of very long runs. But the other pluses outweigh that for me so I'll be going back.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AthersT wrote:
They are grooming geniuses at Ischgl.

Not all of them...

http://youtube.com/v/3Ir6_DmyAZI
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few pics:
Red 80

Don't make em like they used to

Back on the mountain after lunch in Samnaun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied down red 80 as planned today and had lunch down the bottom.
It was in very nice condition they really have done a super job here of making everything as nice as possible.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@handbag, Great pics.

Having been there a few times I don't ever remember seeing the snow cover so thin - but of course they have the blowers for the pistes so no real worries for most skiers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just skied Ischgl for the last 8 days. Had a fantastic time as usual. Yes they need more snow but if there is a better resort in the world at keeping the pistes in great shape then I'm yet to see it. Sugary snow on the way down to the village in the afternoon but excellent cover. Everything above Idalp is in pretty good shape. Hard-packed snow and no off-piste but get yourself a pair of GS or SL ski's on and you'll have a great holiday. I've gone in between and skied the Atomic Doubledeck 3.0 XT's all week. A fantastic ski and one of the best I've ever skied on.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Big group of friends had their first day out there today. They said that the resort has done an unbelievable job and that even the home runs are decent.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Frosty the Snowman, yeah they are they have done a sterling job
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will be even better once the snow has arrived on the weekend
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apart from the obvious lack of off piste you couldn't really tell it hadn't snowed properly yet. Had a great time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're back ther first week of Feb - I can't wait. One of my favourite resorts.

They do a ski demo day at some shops on Wednesdays. Use the tough conditions to audition some SL skis, folks!
ski holidays
Quote:

We're back ther first week of Feb

Me too - though it will be my first time in Ischgl Cool
ski holidays
Anyone in Ischgl atm? Any idea roughly how much snow might be sitting on the ground around the Paznauner Thaya area (and in the trees there)? Thinking it might be the best option for Sunday all things considered...
ski holidays
@clarky999, I wouldn't be doing any off piste just yet over there. Still a bit too light & fluffy .... I don't think there is enough base. Was last around Thaya on Wednesday. The following Sunday should be better. Some tracks appeared over on the swiss side today, but these revealed rocks in many places.
snow report
@mayr, thanks!
ski holidays
I'm loving Ischgl and will defo be returning. We were expecting a cloudy week but there has been a decent amount of sunshine today. Cool
snow report
Just came back from a few days in Ischgl. Snow is fantastic pretty much across the board. Some good weather on Sunday but slopes were very very busy. Lift lines no longer than 5 mins - not too bad. Lots of wind on the Sunday meant some parts had to be blasted during the day which was a bit disconcerting. one of the blasts sent snow on to a piste - i think they kept it closed for 10 mins while they did this. also some small slides on side of piste and then there was a large one on the side of a blue run - not sure if it was practise or not but there were a lot of people on the scene probing away.
latest report
I think that large one u speak about gangstarrr is the one that could be seen from Idalp, that the alarm went off for and the helicopter was up. That was 11.10 ish.
Like you say great snow out there but low light and some stinging snow to contend with today. Our group all still enjoyed our lesson though. Is it Rule 4? - Harden the f**k up was in my head! snowHead
snow report
Rule 5 I think... Toofy Grin
latest report
@gangstarrrrr, 4 of the slides yesterday were defo not practices. To reassure you, as many staff as possible turn out to these immediately, piste rescue, lifties, instructors etc.
snow conditions
@Dr Rock, Ah thank you. Very Happy I couldn't be bothered to go a hunting for them when on my mobile.
latest report
The board said 'moderate'avalanche risk yesterday. Shocked
snow conditions
@mayr,
Good detective work... I thought you may be A's instructor when he told me your name and I was going to check at some point. I will introduce myself tomorrow.
I'm with Reini. snowHead
snow conditions
For info. the public transport from Innsbruck airport to resort was smooth, efficient and no hassle at all.

The 'F' bus leaves from outside the terminal. It cost €2.70 and took about 15 mins to the train station.
The train to Landeck cost €13.80 and takes 45 mins - 1 hr.
Bus 4240 was €7.30 and was a 50 min trip to Ischgl.
Travel was on a Saturday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guranteed after an afternoon of ApresSki in St Anton these two the following morning wee driving up the Paznauntal to Ischgl still intoxicated on one of the most heavily policed roads in Austria for DUI Shocked Shocked and driving after the Schnaaps tasting in Landeck

http://youtube.com/v/KYDITMjOI4k
snow conditions
Rather than start a new thread ... off to Ischgl next week, thought about booking some hire skis on line ... anyone have any experience of any ski hire shops that have decent service and a good selection of skis. We are staying at the South West end of town (Garni Angela).
ski holidays
@DavidYacht, Here's a recent thread for that - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2826458&highlight=ski+hire+ischgl#2826458
latest report
Thanks for that ... I did not dig far enough when I used search!
latest report
Where is a good place to ski at Ischgl / Galtur / Kappl when it is snowing? Is there a sheltered area with trees?
latest report
Oceanic wrote:
Where is a good place to ski at Ischgl / Galtur / Kappl when it is snowing? Is there a sheltered area with trees?

Try hitting the resort runs, from Idalp down. While these are crowded and a bit of a chore come the end of the day they can be quite good, empty runs earlier in the day. They're also low so more in the trees.

Another option is to head across to chairs C2/C3/E1. Even in snow the runs down from the top of C2 can be OK. If that's still bad head up C3 and try runs 30/31 - though I'd recommend comming back up E1 unless you like a bit of cross-country/a 'flat' drag along G2.

I'd probably avoid the Samnaun side, just because when the snow comes in the wind can get up...and the lifts to get back from the Swiss side can close.
ski holidays
DavidYacht wrote:
Rather than start a new thread ... off to Ischgl next week, thought about booking some hire skis on line ... anyone have any experience of any ski hire shops that have decent service and a good selection of skis. We are staying at the South West end of town (Garni Angela).

Honestly, the best is the "test station" at the top of the Silvretta gondola. Excellent selection including off-piste skis and FIS race hardware. And willing to let you change skis etc. they also do test days on Sundays and Wednesdays from 10am-4pm, for 15 EUR. A cost effective way of renting skis for your first day if you arrive on a Saturday. The staff are friendly, helpful and interested, unlike many experiences we have had in town. Also, the town shops don't seem to stock decent pow-capable skis, as this resort is full of skiers who like racing skis and other piste carvers.

If you don't care about what skis you get, or just want some mid range carvers, use Skiset and get a deal for the week, as you will save quite a bit. Walk-up price for a week is between 160 and 170 Euros, so not cheap.

If you have a car and are driving in, rent in Galtur or Kappl. Reserving online, for the very cheapest deal.

Right, I'm off up to the test centre to try out GS skis today!
ski holidays
You can get any ski you like in Ischgl....just gotta look around.

Brundl sports have several shops in town. The one that does fat skis is 'Star'. They also have a bar Happy

http://www.bruendl.at/de/standorte/ischgl/shops/star
snow report
Harry Flashman wrote:
DavidYacht wrote:

Honestly, the best is the "test station" at the top of the Silvretta gondola. Excellent selection including off-piste skis and FIS race hardware. And willing to let you change skis etc. they also do test days on Sundays and Wednesdays from 10am-4pm, for 15 EUR. A cost effective way of renting skis for your first day if you arrive on a Saturday. The staff are friendly, helpful and interested, unlike many experiences we have had in town. Also, the town shops don't seem to stock decent pow-capable skis, as this resort is full of skiers who like racing skis and other piste carvers.

If you don't care about what skis you get, or just want some mid range carvers, use Skiset and get a deal for the week, as you will save quite a bit. Walk-up price for a week is between 160 and 170 Euros, so not cheap.

If you have a car and are driving in, rent in Galtur or Kappl. Reserving online, for the very cheapest deal.

Right, I'm off up to the test centre to try out GS skis today!
currently in Ischgl (last day skiing tomorrow ) Mad

We rented through snowbrainer and paid £102 for two pairs of 4star skis for six days (Sport Walter - Galtuer)
I thought that the days of the £50 a week skis had long gone.

Mine are a pair of Head iMagnums (selling for €599) and the wife's are K2 (selling at (€399).

The roll-up rates are ridiculous, but you can still book with Skiset/Snowbrainer/online via your phone/iPad when you arrive - we've done this on the Saturday for Sunday skiing pn previous trips.

To update on the weather, it's snowing again (as it was yesterday) almost everything is open in both Ischgl, Samnaun and Galtur, and the rest of the valley.

Last day tomorrow dammit!!!!!! snowHead
ski holidays
Last day tomorrow as well. Looks like it could be a powder-fest. Some very nice off-piste was around today, but highly variable. Some of the off piste was utterly awful.
ski holidays
I had a pair of Head iMagnums last week in Ischgl. Nice ski . Very Happy
snow report
Still chucking it down here in the village. 5 inches sitting on the car from zero this morning. Hurrah!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy