Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal Snow Report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
I normally wait until I've been summer skiing before starting the Zillertal Snow Report thread. This summer it has been difficult to get excited about putting ski boots on when it's regularly been 35C so I haven't skied since May. However, I thought it was time to share some of the changes and improvements happening in Zillertal.
What I've heard about so far:
Mayrhofen are replacing the Penkenbahn http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/insights/new-3s-gondola-lift
Hintertux are building a new chairlift near the Kaserer lifts http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/service/news.html
Zell am Ziller are making a valley run http://www.zillertalarena.com/en/arena/winter/talabfahrt-zell.html?bl=/en/zell/winter/start_winter.html http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2015/07/a-valley-run-for-zell-am-ziller-and.html
Apparently, Kaltenbach are putting in a lift in the bowl behind KristalHütte http://www.hochzillertal.com/de/das-skigebiet/panorama/ I'll have to go and have a look sometime, it's not so clear from the map where it will be.
And, Spieljoch, after much rumour and speculation, have started building the GeolsBahn http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2015/06/work-started-at-spieljoch.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @SaraJ!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After last year's problems with the Penkenbahn I am mostly glad it is being replaced (again). But slightly nervous about being one of the guinea pigs in the first couple of weeks of the season. They are boasting about it being foolproof. Titanic anyone?

Just watched the video, new roads too. All change. Helpfully the yellow line bus will pass near the hotel I always stay in at New Year. Yay!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really extensive information (text, plans and photos) on Alpinforum.
The site is german language, if you can't read german then paste the URL into translate.google.com for a machine translation

Kaltenbach lift
http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26962&start=450

Penken lift
http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26963&start=1525

Kaserer Hintertux
http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26965&hilit=kaserer&start=1025

For example, lots of pictures like this one (Kaserer)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SaraJ, great news on the Zell base station run where is it in relation to the coaster? The Zillertal Arena is one of the best ski regions in Austria and that download was always frustrating.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will the new Penkenbahn lift go around the "middle station" hill with out slowing down like the old one? Only ever been on it a couple of times as we stopped in Finkenberg and found the bashing around the pylon quite un-nerving.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Piste View, The piste will split near the bottom, one way to the Karspitzbahn, the other to the Rosenalmbahn. https://www.zillertalarena.com/en/arena/winter/talabfahrt-zell.html?bl=/en/zell/winter/start_winter.html
@stevew, I heard that they're taking the bend out. http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/insights/new-3s-gondola-lift
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
This summer it has been difficult to get excited about putting ski boots on when it's regularly been 35C so I haven't skied since May
Very early days I know but at last winter's on its way Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy - well according to Snow-forecast.com at least - with the freezing level dropping to 1800m this week and over 30cm of snow forecast at the top of Hintertux.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ooooh, lots of fluffy white stuff Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hintertux got a least 30cm of snow yesterday!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Up to a metre of snow to come this week at Hintertux Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy - and freezing level very low for mid October.

Of course anything could happen after that - but still great if it comes off.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SaraJ,
Thanks.
An incredible descent on offer at Zell am Ziller - just the 6,240 vertical feet (1920m)!! And the new bottom section is a black.

On a par with the descent in Les arcs from the Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger, or Grand Montets to the valley in Argentiere.

Amazing, though could well be carnage.... Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I forgot to mention...
I went to Hintertux last Sunday. The snow was great Toofy Grin
There are a couple of photos on the Alpine Freedom Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/alpinefreedom.alpenfreiheit though the photos on Hintertuxer Gletscher's own page are far better!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, that bottom stretch is a death trap! I have never seen such a steep slope with so little run out, it stops maybe 20m maximum from the road! Plus it is on the south-facing side of the valley.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went to Hintertux on Friday. Amazing weather and fantastic snow - if you had tip top edges Toofy Grin
And, I went to Hochfügen today for a walk. In the shade the ground was still frozen when it got warmer towards lunchtime. Hopefully, when the snow comes it will be falling on frozen ground. I walked down one of my favourite, easy, no stress off piste routes - it was a lot slower, a lot steeper and a lot more stressful on foot Shocked
http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2015/11/an-autumn-weekend-in-zillertal.html
ski holidays
Quote:
freezing level very low for mid October
Still early doors of course - but FL now well above the glacier tops for at least the next week rolling eyes

Fingers crossed for my Stubai/Hintertux trip on 13th November....
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, It's still freezing at night though, so it's not all bad.
ski holidays
Cheers SaraJ - We'll be in the Alps and skiing - so I'm sure we will have a great time regardless Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:
that bottom stretch is a death trap! I have never seen such a steep slope with so little run out, it stops maybe 20m maximum from the road
Which ski area Samerberg Sue?? Les Arcs or Argentiere? Skied both but can't remember anything untoward...
ski holidays
mountainaddict, sorry I was referring to the bottom of the new black run down to the valley at Zell am Ziller that SaraJ and I drove past on the 18th October! Our opinion was that it will be lethal if and when it is open as it is so steep and has little is no runout before you hit the car park/bus stops/road!
ski holidays
I imagine it could be like the Kaltenbach black run to valley too. Too many inexperienced skiers trying to do a (narrow in places) black run with very heavy slush down at 600m. Ticked that one off. Not worth it at the end of the day when there are people that give up sideslipping, take off skis, and slide down 1 mogul at a time on their backside. I'd do it first thing and go back up the gondola.
Might check out the Zell am Ziller one next time I'm down there (Jan hopefully).
snow report
@andy, it's on the opposite (sunny) side of the valley to the Kaltenbach slopes, and it is in the full sun from fairly early in the day according to SaraJ, meaning it needs a lot of snow to actually have a good surface! I think it comes down to the left (looking at it) of the Karspitzbahn, but I'm not too familiar with the Zillertal Area slopes so I'm not too certain as to which lift exactly. They've carved a path straight down through the woods to the lift bottom station.
ski holidays
Yeah hard to tell from the piste map, where it looks like it comes straight down the line of the bottom half of the older lift, then traverses a bit and splits going straight down to the new (left as you look up) lift, and traverses back across to the (right as you look at it ) older lift (right thru the mini rollercoaster).
But then piste maps are never perfectly accurate. Might look for photos later.
I've never even bothered skiing down to the mid-station to offload there, and always download from the top of the gondola.
ski holidays
@andy, There's a bit of a description of where it goes here: https://www.zillertalarena.com/en/arena/winter/talabfahrt-zell.html?bl=/en/zell/winter/start_winter.html and a (not the clearest) photo taken from the Zillerradweg here: http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2015/07/a-valley-run-for-zell-am-ziller-and.html
It looks like it goes under the ArenaCoaster.
I expect that I'll ski it once (hopefully mid-morning) and then never again. It seems a bit bizarre to me, but I'm sure it's good for marketing to be able to say that they have a valley run.
ski holidays
@SaraJ, Is Alpinefreedom your blog? A bit off-topic but ended up watching the video of the monoskier, Martin, how amazing for someone to be that good a skier having suffered such severe spinal injuries!
latest report
@Kingofthec, Yes, it's my Blog. I teach adaptive (and alpine) skiing mostly in Hochfügen.
There are a couple of Blogposts about Martin. That video is the result of 3 weeks of lessons with me. I'd like to think his skill is all my doing Toofy Grin but I have to acknowledge that his attitude, fitness and general sportiness have played a part too wink
snow report
Here is a drone view of the new Zell valley run showing a much bigger and wider run out.

http://youtube.com/v/__fal5J0OnM
snow report
The forecast for general snowiness throughout the Alps came true here too. I went up to Hochfügen today with my touring skis to see how much snow had fallen. The answer - maybe 30-40cm which is being furiously topped up with snow cannon snow. Every snow cannon was running, from top to bottom - so that was a peaceful day in the mountains!
http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2015/11/its-snowing-in-hochfugen.html
latest report
How are conditions in mayrhofen this week?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowed overnight about 10cms I'd say. Pistes were in good shape all last week, albeit a bit bullet proof later on in the afternoon higher up and a bit soft lower down. Had a great week.
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Thanks @Ghost Dog 👍
ski holidays
Is the new piste/lift between Hochfuegen and Fuegen open this winter? I thought this was winter 16/17' business but they both appear on the piste map.
snow report
@Cedrick, Do you mean the Panoramabahn Geols. Yes, it's open now. It should have been open in December but there wasn't enough snow. It's been open since the middle of January. I haven't skied it yet, people who have said it's a great run, though steeper than they expected. There are a couple of shuttle buses running between the gondola station and Hochfügen. I haven't been paying attention to the timing, but they seem to be frequent.
The conditions on piste are great. Off piste is a different story - I've seen avalanches fall where I've never seen them before, as well as in all the usual places.
snow report
@SaraJ, how are condition in Mayrhofen this week Sara?
snow conditions
@memphis04, I haven't been to Mayrhofen for a while but the pistes in Hochfügen are great at the moment. It snowed yesterday and has been cold today so the snow has stayed in tip top condition Happy
Off piste should be approached with caution. The avalanche danger level was 4 today.
ski holidays
Thanks Sara. Will b staying on piste I reckon👍
latest report
Been in Stumm since Saturday, just skiing at Zillertal Arena because we have a Salzburg Super Ski season pass to use and it's included. Sunday was alright, Monday and Tuesday had terrible visibility with a bit of snow but not enough to make the low vis worth it! Today was pretty good above Rosenalm earlier in the day and now it looks like the fog is finally clearing. Looking forward to tomorrow where we hopefully get a full day of sun!

Pistes have generally been brilliant down to the middle station, although maybe a little bit slushy lower on those runs. Not bothered with the new valley run as it looks like a steep slushy bump-fest with loads of people who probably shouldn't be on it (likely including me Very Happy)

So far we've not ventured much beyond the Zell am Zillertal side so the plan is to try to head to Konigsleiten and back. Is the Black 36/36a a particularly challenging one? The most likely thing to halt our progress I think.
latest report
Assume 36 is the black to get from the Gerlos blue plateau down to the lift that goes up to Königsleiten? It's not massively challenging if the snow is good, but it is a black. I've been down harder reds, and the black bit to get down is only about half the run iirc. Wouldn't take a beginner or someone that panics at bumps, but should be fine for anyone that can persevere down a red at the end of the day that's all bumped up.

Kaltenbach was not bad at the weekend. Easy snow pretty much everywhere. Hochfügen was better, mainly because it's less busy. Kaltenbach was heaving on Sunday.
ski holidays
@andy, thanks, yeah that's the one. We didn't end up making it though because the queues for those linking lifts just between Zell and Gerlos were ridiculous. I guess everyone else had the same idea Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy