Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slim fit salopettes, maybe softshell?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

I'm a five foot female, but too wide of hips to go to the kids section. Since I took up skiing, I have been horribly uncomfortable in thick, snowproof salopettes which bunch up around my calves, restrict my movement and look awful in photos. rolling eyes

I have told that softshell trousers would be the way to go, and I've had a look online and have seen a few contenders- but after years of salopettes, these just look like hiking trousers to me?

https://www.trekwear.co.uk/womens_clothing/trousers/stretch_trousers/craghoppers_womens_kiwi_pro_stretch_trousers.htm

http://www.gaynors.co.uk/brands/all/dp-94096/sk-184127/womens-geo-softshell-trouser-ii?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productsearch&gclid=CI_h8fPf0sYCFYLnwgodCKcNXQ

What do you reckon? Would any any of these be okay, assuming that I don't wear them in falling snow and really freezing conditions?

Any other suggestions welcomed.

x
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@quirkybird, hmm, I'm a big fan of my softshell jacket, especially later in the season. It is much more comfortable than a shell or heavy ski jacket in warmer weather. But as an owner of a now-relegated-to-sledging pair of softshell trousers, I found them to be a bit of a soggy mess, just from sitting on chairlifts with a bit of snow on. I wouldn't buy again.

I'm slightly taller than you at 5'4" and have a pair of North Face Go Go Pants which are not too long, though I've bought a pair of Marmot ones for next season (Marmot stuff seems to run quite big, so consider sizing down if you look online). Having tried on trousers presumably aimed at giants, I do feel your pain! Sorry I can't help more.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just checked your links - they look like walking trousers to me, not sure they'd stand up to the abuse inflicted when falling over on skis. Ski softshells do exist if you're determined to buy then, but they'll be listed in the end of line ski wear this time of year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Scarlet. They look like walking trousers, I know- but I was suggested by a family friend who insists that she skis in similar to avoid bagginess. Just wanted to check on Snowheads if they would be in anyway suitable with a base layer.

Having a look for some skiing dedicated softshells now. I'd rather get soggy than feel like I'm drowning in insulated fabric!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any uninsulated ski salopettes (hard-shell or soft-shell) will give you the option to wear as much or as little insulation layers as you want, depending on weather conditions. Ski specific salopettes will typically have a hard wearing protective layer on the inside over leg to protect the material from getting cut by sharp ski edges. The cut is also likely to allow more movement than walking trousers, perhaps including built-in knee articulation. Walking trousers are unlikely to have this.

If the leg length is an issue you can get ski wear shortened professionally by a company like Scottish Mountain Gear who will tape new seams to retain the waterproofness of the garment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've had my ski trousers shortened a couple of times. Took them up and kept knees in the right place. Need to do it for my jacket next time too. Schoffel and I think Eider do pants in shorter leg lengths too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I ski all the time now in softshell trousers. The great thing about them is they're light, tight fitting and stretchy so they encourage leg movemont. The thing to look for is cuff zips (with an internal gusset) so that they'll expand over your boots.

I use Mountain Equipment Liskamm Pants that are perfect. These come in regular and long lengths and I think the women's come in regular and short. Possibly out of production now but probably still possible to find if you look hard - try the ME shop in Manchester run by Ellis Brigham. They also do a Combin Pant with fewer bells and whistles but these may not have the, all important, cuff zips.

In cold weather wear thermal long-johns underneath. Buy ¾ length or just cut down full length ones.

A poor picture of them but they look like this:

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try www.gearpest.com. They have some very nice soft shell trousers. They are very helpful if you give them a call and have a good deal on this weekend.. Use this code..... 20PNDJUL15. It's discount of £20 off every order over £50 even if already in the sale Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got these from GoOutdoors - http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/legwear/super-terra-pants - mainly for skiing on dry slopes where abrasion protection is vital. They are fantastically comfortable.

There isn't a like for like womens version but there are similar - http://www.montane.co.uk/range/women/legwear
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am also a little vertically challenged shall we say and I opted for Schoffel ski trousers in the short length. They aren't too bulky so I don't look like a Michelin man and have enough stretch to make them comfortable. I bought from a German website which was no problem and was also much cheaper than in the UK. I did check size in SnR first before ordering and would say that they are pretty true to size.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some photos of the area in question would be helpful. wink

Either Mountain Equipment or Patagonia would be my suggestion. I prefer hardshell to softshell.

I use ME Changabangs as I have 34" slimish legs, the Changabang has an athletic fit rather than loose/baggy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
there is a brand called CMP which do softshell fitted trousers. always popular Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
not softshell but a stretch hardshell might be ideal:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/arclight-pant-wmns
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got some Mountain Force salopettes from TK Maxx earlier in the year. They are a slim fit, soft shell and very comfortable. Mine only cost £70, but RRP is a lot lot more (£350-450 I think). Highly recommended.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy