Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar direct-to-Alps winter train tickets on sale 16th July

Poster: A snowHead
I know there are a few others who like to get their tickets as soon as they go on sale. You've probably received the same email that I got from Eurostar, but for anyone who hasn't the tickets for the direct-to-the-French-Alps winter trains will go on sale at 11am on Thursday 16 July.

This will be for the whole winter season (19th December to 9th April). "Normal" Eurostar services that terminate in Paris aren't included in this. They continue to become available 6 months before travel.

There's the potential for a new route to the Alps this year with Eurostar services running direct to Lyon, and then getting a local train from there. This would avoid needing to cross Paris, but does have some serious faff in Lille as everyone has to get off with their baggage and go through security and passport control there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you for this @kieranm - let's not circulate it too much until I've got my compensations tickets though wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Indeed, thanks for the reminder! I'll have a proper look at this tonight, could be very useful this winter...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Lille problem is only on the way back.

Going out via Lyon is an option - but beware of multiple changes on the Local service from Lyon to Moutiers/Bourg. In the summer you need to change twice, hopefully they will put on direct Lyon to Moutiers/Bourg services for the winter season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is normally a direct service from Lyon to Moutiers etc. Or at least, I have been on such a train last December, but it was on a day when there were special timetables in operation due to a strike. It's an impressive journey from Paris to Lyon - under 2 hours if I remember on the TGV but it might be different on the Eurostar. If I'm honest the faff at Lille on the way back wouldn't put me off - certainly easier than crossing Paris - but worth mentioning as not quite as seamless as the full direct service.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We had to do the Lille dismount on the way back at Easter thanks to a bork'd x-ray machine at Moutiers and while is WAS a right faff towing all the kit up a flight of stairs/queuing/herding grumpy children etc etc just to walk around the scanning loop and back onto the train, it was CERTAINALLY less faff than a Paris excursion would have been - in fact if the itinerary had included a change in Paris, i'd have veto'd the train and taken a plane.

... but as Always29 said, the delay did net us a hefty compensation discount on going next easter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When its says direct, does that mean you get on in the UK and dont have to get off until Bourg?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways/Always29, Sounds like we might be on the same train, as after a few years of Christmas trips we're thinking about an Easter one this year instead.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 9-07-15 16:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Philip1972, yes that's exactly what it means.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kieranm, I'll have to watch out if I do my Fear & Loathing blog again...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And this year there is a alcohol ban on the night "direct" train.

On the day train the personal limit is 4 cans or bottles of beer or 1 bottle of wine.. No spirits.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The limit of 4 cans or bottles of beer or 1 bottle of wine was in place last season for the day and night train, but wasn't enforced particularly rigorously. Interesting that they have put in place a complete ban on carry on alcohol on the night train. No doubt you can still continue to buy booze at inflated prices on the train. Where did you hear about the complete ban from?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is on the E* press release that has been sent to all agents. I got a copy from my contact in Canterbury.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just wondered if anyone has advice in this area regarding departure days as we can travel out on good friday or easter sat only when school hols start but must return to uk by following thursday or friday latest. is this normally a daily service or weekend only
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@broadsman, Overnight on a Friday and back on Saturday daytime. Only once a week in each direction.
snow conditions
@broadsman,although Gaza is right that the direct train is only a weekly service, there are other daily train services, you just have to change in Paris.
ski holidays
@kieranm, you are correct but it is a PITA to transit through Paris. I would not fancy doing it.
snow conditions
@wills_h, Eurostar says they won't even be selling alcohol on the night service! I don't know if that means the upgraded class will not get any with dinner though. My missus works for Eurostar and forwarded me the official statement and it is true.
snow report
@Gaza, I've done it many times and for me it's not all that bad, even with luggage and children, but I know that other people find it hard work so horses for courses. Having done it many times before I think means (i) I know what to expect; and (ii) I know where I'm going, and those both make it much easier. I still thought it was worth mentioning. You can make the transit through Paris pretty painless (if a little slower and more expensive) by going for a pre-booked taxi rather than braving the metro, but my favourite option if changing in Paris is to arrive late in the evening, get a cheap hotel room near Gare de Lyon and then the early train to the Alps the next morning. By using these off-peak trains you save yourself the cost of the hotel, get a proper nights sleep, and are still in resort around lunchtime for an afternoon of skiing.
latest report
I've only done an across-Paris once, and it was without kids (though with skis). It was pretty painless, really but we had time to kill - I wouldn't like to do it with a tight schedule.

Seeing a bit of Paris from the bus (we had plenty of time so it seemed a shame to do the whole thing underground) was really quite fun, as I'd not been there for years.

The secret is to travel light. We had not-too-heavy backpacks and a pair of skis each.

It's much easier without skis, obviously - I recently travelled round Norway on public transport (and some cross-town journeys on foot) with a backpack and it really wasn't difficult. But the astonishing amount of clart some people can't travel without makes everything difficult.
ski holidays
@beeryletcher, that is going to be a very dull 10 hours stuck on a train!
latest report
wills_h wrote:
The limit of 4 cans or bottles of beer or 1 bottle of wine was in place last season for the day and night train, but wasn't enforced particularly rigorously. Interesting that they have put in place a complete ban on carry on alcohol on the night train. No doubt you can still continue to buy booze at inflated prices on the train. Where did you hear about the complete ban from?

It seems that they will also stop selling alcohol at the buffet coach on the direct night ski train.
However, when travelling in Standard Premier class, you'll still get wine served with your dinner.
From insider tips
snow conditions
BOOKED! Day train on the 26th out, back on the 2nd April.
snow report
New Year is almost sold out Shocked
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, how much was your ticket? I have just forked out £210 pp for a one way ticket, albeit in standard premier for a bit more comfort. That's the most I have paid on Eurostar ever. Might revert to flights at this rate!!!
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
BOOKED! Day train on the 26th out, back on the 2nd April.

Me too.

@andy1234, Ours were £154 per adult each way in standard for that week, with premier about £40 more.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 16-07-15 12:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
£1052 for 2 adults and 2 kids return, at standard rate. (actually we paid half that because we had a compensation voucher because of the borked up return trip last year).

@kieranm, That'd tally with us - think the kids get a £50 reduction each way, each.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, was your outbound journey delayed as well last year? From memory, when our train was delayed (a different week to you) we were offered 25% off return tickets, or 50% off single tickets. Whereas it sounds like you've got 50% off return tickets, which would make sense if you were being compensated for delays in both directions. All academic as I took the cash rather than a voucher but interested to know what the deal was.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kieranm, depends on how long your delay was and the reason behind it. Because of the disembark and rescan, and that the reason behind the delay (broken scanners at Moutiers) was deemed to be the fault of Eurostar, that took us into the 50% refund. If it'd been about another hour, it'd have been the 100% refund.
ski holidays
Got mine for New Year week. More expensive than I expected but @matwall hates to fly. Looks like there are very few tickets left at those rates. Get a move on if you want them!
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
£1052 for 2 adults and 2 kids return, at standard rate. (actually we paid half that because we had a compensation voucher because of the borked up return trip last year).

@kieranm, That'd tally with us - think the kids get a £50 reduction each way, each.

Hmm is that significantly more than last year? It is a lot more that's our flights we have booke to Sofia (with ski carriage).
snow conditions
My contact at Rail Canterbury (01227 450088) tells me that they have had some cancellations for 13/02 - 20/02 Day trains in 1st & 2nd both ways.
latest report
@NickyJ, £1020 give or take a few quid last year IIRC.
snow report
Just received the e mail from E'star saying no alcohol on the night train - we shall see if there are any exemptions. An enforced ban on recreational chemicals would probably generate more hullabaloo from the braying hordes of city types.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, the direct train isn't cheap especially in the peak weeks, but there are cheaper trains available.
snow report
I seem to remember the train booked three months ahead (via Paris) usually works out cheaper than direct, though admitedly not by a great deal.

I've quite enjoyed the break in Paris on the way out, having to allow time to go through security in Paris is a pain on the way back however...

Looking at flights I can't really find anything cheaper than the train once, luggage and transfers are factored in. Happy to be proved wrong (and I appreciate there are many variables - starting airport, destination airport, resort, type of transfer etc )
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Hmm is that significantly more than last year? It is a lot more that's our flights we have booke to Sofia (with ski carriage).

IIRC you are going Monday to Monday though? In which case it's not really a fair comparison. Easyjet want £300pp without luggage or skis for the Saturday flights from Gatwick to Geneva (cheapest route). If you are looking to fly, go to the Tarentaise and travel on the Saturdays, the train is cheaper.
snow report
Hope the line from Moutiers to Bourg is fixed - looks like it has been delayed again from Jul to Sep
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

IIRC you are going Monday to Monday though? In which case it's not really a fair comparison. Easyjet want £300pp without luggage or skis for the Saturday flights from Gatwick to Geneva (cheapest route). If you are looking to fly, go to the Tarentaise and travel on the Saturdays, the train is cheaper.

I also left it a bit late to book. I am hoping rat if I am prompter in future I might get weekend prices for similar. Time will tell....

I am just expressing surprise as I had got the impression it was cheaper than it actually is. Could be down to hearing prices for non peak journeys.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, I think that's because it's a peak week. We used it a couple of years ago to go to Les Arcs in March, booked about a month before travel and paid £160pp return. I always get shocked when I see prices of flying to Geneva during half term! Happy OTOH, I paid £76 return to Geneva in December and again, £76 in April, both booked about 3-4 weeks before departure. So the train seems less inflated in comparison, and if you are skiing in Les Arcs you can get away without a transfer or only a minimal local one.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy