Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Galibier closed?

Poster: A snowHead
After the VT rock this year I now see the highest point of Le Tour this year has been cancelled and re-routed due to a landslide. What's going up there? Must be pretty big as they've a fair few days to clear it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cameronphillips2000, The tunnel by Barrage de Chambon has been closed since early April. They're having to reroute the road. Galibier isnt closed but no way to get down to Bourg and Alpe D'Huez.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was told today that it wasn't a landslide but they've found a big crack 60m long in the tunnel (guess might have been caused by a landslide). . . . not sure how true that is but seems to stack up.

What it means is that the Galibier pass is open but you wont be able to get down to Alpe D'Huez if you are trying to see the TDF - La Marmotte was rerouted this year to avoid it.

Whilst the tunnel is closed for vehicles, anybody know if you can sneak around on a bike?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is lots of information on this in the Serre Chevalier thread.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alti - dude, I think at one time they were ferrying people by boat but I don't think there's anything now. There are a lot of reports (almost all in french) online. It's crippling for those east of the tunnel.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going over to watch the stage
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cameronphillips2000, where are you going from?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dunno. Probably try and book a flight and hire a car or may just drive down.
Just found this

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/isere/l-effondrement-de-la-montagne-du-tunnel-du-chambon-se-precise-762302.html

Looks like a mountain's about to fall into a lake
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry - where in France will you stay !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
alti - dude wrote:
sorry - where in France will you stay !

No idea. Just head to the hills and hope for the best. I usually take a small tent if following Le Tour.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you stay in Maurienne it's up over the Croix de Fer to get to Alpe D'Huez . . . . . will have done it (or tried it !) on the Etape route the Sunday before. Suspect bike will be quicker than car given queues you normally get !!

Good area to be in as Tour is around St Jean on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cameronphillips2000, the ongoing story is on the Serre Chevalier thread, lots of local detail.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Pam. Interesting stuff. Is there a crowd on 'landslide watch'
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am i being stupid, are the Serre Chevalier in red meant to be links? Can't find said thread Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112977&start=640

There you go. You do have to wade through quite a few pics of some old bloke on a bike though. wink
ski holidays
alti - dude wrote:
If you stay in Maurienne it's up over the Croix de Fer to get to Alpe D'Huez . . . . . will have done it (or tried it !) on the Etape route the Sunday before. Suspect bike will be quicker than car given queues you normally get !!

Good area to be in as Tour is around St Jean on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Echo this. Cameron, if you are feeling really adventurous camp out at the top of the Glandon/Croix de Fer and the race will now pass through 3 days running.

We're staying in Orelle and will be catching all three of these stages.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy