Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada for 1 week

Poster: A snowHead
Hi giys,
As well as a few ski options for February 2016 an opportunity to go away mid January has appeared
My wife and I fancy Canada, probaby the Banff/Lake Louise area. During discussions we both thought it seems a long way to travel for just one week. However, that said, it is my big five "O" birthday and would be looking at going somewhere special for this.
Have you been to Banff and is it worth the effort for 1 week?
Kind regards.
DJ
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been to Banff many times and to be honest, I wouldn't go for a week. Ten days minimum. You've got 3 local mountains serviced by the bus, and another 3 or 4 if you're willing to travel a little further afield.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely worth it for a week. Done it 3 times but we don't bother with norquay
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Me and my wife did a 1 week trip to Banff 5 or 6 years ago. Longer wasn't possible at the time. We were warned off but both agreed it was absolutely worth it. I'm not suggesting 10 days isn't better but a week is certainly worthwhile in my opinion. Sure your sleep won't be adjusted properly but that takes a few days anyhow and going over to Canada, I've always found it means you're really tired in the evening, maybe wake up very early but the ski day is fine. The one issue for me is the return and the jet lag coming back but that's the same if you go for a week or for 4 months. The skiing around Banff and particularly Lake Louise is so spectacularly beautiful and so typically Canadian, it would be worth it for 3 days skiing. My favourite ski area!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mont Tremblant is a lot shorter trip, but also a bit more lmited, but at that time could be a good alternative.

Fly to Montreal just over 7 hours and only 1-1/2 hr transfer to the ski resort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to Canada three times now and would go back at the drop of a hat, for a week, 10 days, whatever. I'd agree entirely with Ade that the time difference just means your up aand to bed a bit early. No biggie, and certainly better than the other way round.

Ski Louise and Sunshine during the day. Maybe squeeze in an evening slide under the lights at Norquay, just so you can tick it off the list - it's a very limited area with most runs seemingly being identical.

Great food in Banff too. Try Saltlik for an excellent steak and great Duck Taco starter, Block for really nice Tapas style dishes, Nourish for tasty vegan food (never thought those words would come out of my mouth), Magpie and Stump for mexican, Banff Avenue Brewing company for a few local beers, Tony Romas/Wild bills for Barbecue. Gotta go now, I'm feeling hungry.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tremblant vs Banff.....Banff, no contest
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just one thing to consider is that Banff can be extremely cold, especially early season. If you're not keen on serious cold then maybe think hard about it. For me the prospect of extreme winter conditions enhances rather than detracts from the experience but I know people for whom that wouldn't be the case.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Lake Louise / Banff/ Sunshine (all on the same area pass) is well worth doing. been a couple of times, there are a few options to consider, but it depends on how much you want to ski. I find it easier to have a rental car to get about rather than rely on buses and ski all three areas, although you will need to buy a national park permit for the car..
Banff has the Apres stuff with a variety of restaurants, pubs etc, lots of large hotels, but a potentially limited ski area.
Lake Louise Has a good sized ski area, couple of hotels , including Chateau lake Louise but the town is pretty small.
Sunshine has a decent ski area, if you include Delirium Dive otherwise it can be a little cruisey, no town attached
Sunshine probably has the best snow, although in Feb its going to be good in all three locations, Lake Louise for me has the best ski area overall,
Banff is a great place to stay if you want to do a nightlife or fine dining thing as well.

If it were up to be I'd stay in Lake Louise, do a day on the hill at Banff, two days in Sunshine, and two days in Lake Louise, then one day 'Ladies choice'

Actually I'd go for ten days, and get some time at Panorama as well..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to BC/AB many times for seven days, well for 6.5 days riding plus a day to get there and a day to get back, if you see what I mean. I suppose it depends on your attitude. I don't find jet lag much of an issue, others aren't so lucky. An 8 hour flight versus a 3 hour flight doesn't make a lot of difference to me either, other than the cost of it. Banff is a fair way from Calgary mind - there are places with shorter transfers. Try to avoid multi-stop flights as if your boards go astray then they can take a significant portion of 7 days to get to you. If you have a short day at the end of your stay then Norquay works great for that, and it has an excellent steep bump run which can be fun.

Food, well it depends what you're looking for, basic stuff is easily available but you have to look as hard as anywhere else if you really like food.

Weather/ snow wise, all places are good when it's good. Banff has dry snow, so it's generally scratchy in a poor snow year and excellent in a good one. If you have transport then that's less of an issue as there are other places with different snowfall patterns within driving distance.

Banff is a bit of a "destination resort" so expect more tourists than some of the harder to get to places.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you can justify the cost of crossing the pond & don't suffer from jet lag for a maximum 6 days skiing it is your call.
As @Ade57, says it can be brass monkeys and short days in January.
Personally I would recommend waiting till you can do a couple of weeks, go later in the season and further south.
But if you must, spoil yourselves for your 50th - stay at the Fairmont Château Lake Louise, magical view & ice skating on the lake.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you do go to Banff, please share the experience on Snowheads. Many of us have not been. Since you're willing to travel to Canada, you may want to consider Whistler, in British Columbia. With only a week, you can do lots of skiing as there are 2 Mountains (Whistler and Blackcomb) included in your Pass and they are both easily accessible by foot and without having to board a Bus. Whistler is the largest ski area in North America. Whistler Village is mostly pedestrian and you don't have to bother with a car. Everything is within walking distance and in February it won't be crowded from Monday-Friday. Plenty of Shopping, dining and entertainment. I highly recommend an afternoon Zip Lining through the Forrest and down Mountains and Gorges. Either way Happy Birthday and have a wonderful time. Feel free to email me with any questions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to Banff 10 years ago, wouldn't do it for a week though as I suffer badly with jetlag. I went to Hawaii for my 50th and had the most awful jetlag, it was for 3 weeks though so got over it Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We go to Banff every year-have done this for twelve seasons now. We have even been twice in the same season if the conditions are holding up later on. We always go in February. We have been for a week, ten days, two weeks and even three. It all works, you just have to be in right frame of mind. The jet lag is the right way around travelling east to west and although ideally ten days is better, it is very do-able in a week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I fly to Denver (same time zone as banff) often you only get jet lag on the way back never on the way out...
snow report
When the journey goes well it probably doesn't take much more time than driving to the Alps on a busy Saturday!
snow report
Arrive two hours before departure, London to Calgary is about a 9 hours flight, an hour in the airport for luggage etc. and a two hour transfer on a coach. Journey time of about fourteen hours excluding travel to the airport. I don't find it too bad. The last time we went e travelled from Ireland to Heathrow, stayed overnight in a nearby chain hotel (a Travellodge maybe?) and got on the plane showered, breakfasted and fresh which was really nice.
snow conditions
The concensus of opinion is a resounding "yes" then.
Canada is probably on lots of "to do" lists and I am no different.
Because of ongoing issues with my heart, my consultant has recommended the last two yeats not to ski, but I have done and loved it. At the minute I feel reasonably fit and strong considering, but for how long who knows.
This is why I would like to get Canada off my list.
Ok back on track, looks like a week is still a good option. I never have much trouble in the way of jetlag issues and do not feel this is an issue. The cold should not be a problem.
Can those who have done this area recommend good places to stay that the TO's do please. For peace of mind my wife and I prefer this to diy.
Many thanks
DJ
snow conditions
We have tried a few places but now always go back to Banff Inn with Inghams.
Good standard large rooms and facilities, breakfast included. The bus stops directly outside the door.
Easy to stroll into Banff in the evenings. Difficult to beat on price. we find we are happy if the rooms are clean and quiet and there is no need to pay higher costs for a superior hotel.
We have tried every which way to be them on price but have never come close when factoring in the good lift pass deals Inghams off for early booking.
snow report
By the way a week is fine. I'd do for 4 days were it possible ( we love it so much!!!)
ski holidays
Quote:

Because of ongoing issues with my heart, my consultant has recommended the last two yeats not to ski, but I have done and loved it.

getting insurance for an existing heart problem in North America, when you are skiing against medical advice, would be impossibly expensive. If you drop dead in France it would be much less of an issue. My OH skied for many years with a heart condition that couldn't be insured for sensible money and I always figured we could cope, if he died in France (we had Carte Neige which would have got him off the mountain). Fortunately when he died very suddenly he was at home.
latest report
If you want to use a tour operator, Canadian Affair have always been the best that I've come across.
snow report
Hi, just had a look at inghams website and just for clarity which hotel please?
There is Banff Inn and Inns of Banff?
For the last 7 yeats I have had to have seperate insurance for my heart condition and I am used to factoring this into the cost of my holiday. That said, never been to Canada skiing so thankyou very much for the sound advice.
Kind regards
DJ
snow report
Banff Inn.
Definitely not Inns of Banff which we stayed in years ago.
It's too far out of town. You can catch the local Roam Bus but nearer town is better IMHO
snow conditions
Thanks for clearing that up. I will take a good look when I get in from the office.
Cheers for the Canadian Affair info too, not heard of those.
kind regards
DJ
ski holidays
Canadian Affair aren't quote the same as Inghams/Crystal though, If you go with them they have a rep in resort, you're met off the plane and shepherded to the bus etc. Think of Canadian affair as a one stop shop for a DIY style flight/transfer/accomodation/pass booking agent and you wouldn't be too far off.

CA's main advantage is they're tied to Air Transat who run the cheapest UK/Canada flights, so Inghams/Crystal will be about £200 more for exactly the same holiday. Air transit did cancel their to Gatwick to Calgary route last season, only flying out of one of the northern (Manchester?) airports on a Wednesday basis. It might be worth checking with them early if you're really planning ahead.

I've travelled with CA to banff and stayed in the Banff Caribou Lodge a couple of times. Really nice hotel and staff (no breakfast included), bit of a stroll into town in the evening, 10 minutes tops. I'd be happy to stay there again and to use CA again.
snow report
A definite yes from me for a week in western Canada Drunkenjoiner Very Happy
- Done it (when stuck with a Feb half term week once).
- Got there quicker than one fateful 26 hr bus trip to Mayrhofen from North East England (12 hrs to reach the Channel via every bus station in England...)

On the accommodation front - and it being a special birthday - you could do worse than staying at Lake Louise instead of Banff and splashing out on a stay at The Chateau. We stayed for one night when we were passing on a BC/Alberta road trip. It's stunning - amazing location too.

On our week long trip to Banff, we also skied at Panorama and at Nakiska. Both decent days out - especially Panorama - where you can heliski by the way.

And despite some negative reports, we've had two great ski days at Norquay - we found good snow, deserted slopes (once over New Year) and some great challenging steeps.

Or you could go for a DIY road trip - a few days in Banff plus a stay at Chateau Lake Louise.

Another road trip alternative would be to visit Kimberley and Fernie - with two or three days catskiing at Fernie Wilderness Adventures. FWA is a great set up - with fantastic daily catskiing. Staying overnight in Fernie is a lot cheaper than operators that include luxury accommodation as part of their catskiing packages.
ski holidays
We have stayed at the Brewster Mountan Lodge, Ptarmagan Inn, Mount Royal and Banff Park Lodge. All were fine - not posh, but good value for money. The Chateau at LL is in another league, as is the Banff Springs - they are both fantastic hotels. It just depends on what you want, but you can read lots of detailed reviews on Trip Adviser if you want to get a feel for them. Eating out in Banff is very easy - lots and lots of restaurants for all budgets. We can recommend Earls which has a very large menu and caters for just about anyone, but you can go upmarket (The Bison, Beaujolais, etc) or go cheap and cheerful with the Spaghetti place in the Mall, or for music and apres there is Buffalo Bills. There is so much to choose from, you do not need to eat in the same place twice.

Re flights, AFAIK, Air Transat is not running winter flights to Calgary any more. We have had to use Air Canada and BA from Heathrow the past two years, but Candadian Affair will be able to tell you for certain.

When you get there, make sure you take advantage of the free mountain tours at LL and Sunshine, volunteers take you around the mountain and it is a good way to orientate yourselves, they divide people into abilities and so it works quite well. I am sure you will have a great time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMHO the best place to eat in town is the Saltlik steakhouse on Bear st.
latest report
There are lots of places to stay, almost all of them good.

I've stayed in a range of places in and around Banff over the years, some of them mentioned here. The Chateau & the Banff Springs are worth a look, but I always stay at the Post Hotel in Lake Louise if I can because they have the best food for a significant distance in any direction. It's also a well run cute place not on the main tourist track.

--
As with all this stuff you are dependent upon the snow, and I'd not want to be here if it was elsewhere. The first time I went to Banff (before the tour operators had discovered it), I was riding knee-deep powder on piste three days after a storm. It was a revelation compared to what I was used to in Europe. On the other hand I've been there in years when I kept on driving as the snow was in Revestoke or the Okanagan... these are risks you take.

---
Whilst Canada is certainly in North America it's not in the USA, so they do have free public rescue and a health care system not dissimilar to ours.
snow report
I won a holiday years ago and stayed at The Chateau and Banff Springs. Both stunning places especially the Chateau but eating is expensive and they're both a good walk to their respective villages. We ended up eating at the day lodge on the mountain just to be able to afford it.

We stayed at The Lake Louise Inn with Canadian Affair. Decent rooms and good value food across the road in the hostel restaurant. This isn't a hostel like you'd get in England; it's really plush and the restaurant is excellent for standard Canadian food.

The Lake Louise Inn has its own bus to the slopes regularly throughout the day and it's 5 - 10 minutes walk into the village.

The skiing in LL is enough for anyone of any standard from gentle frontside groomers, to serious steep and deep in the back bowls. The Larch area is excellent intermediate terrain and you just can't take your eyes off the scenery; the Rockies in all their splendour.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
Whilst Canada is certainly in North America it's not in the USA, so they do have free public rescue and a health care system not dissimilar to ours.

This is my understanding of how it works in Canada.
Rescue from the mountain is covered by the park entrance fee. (In USA you lift ticket covers rescue within bounds then $$$$$$)
You have to be resident of the province to have your costs paid for road or air ambulance and treatment. (Other Canadian residents costs are met by their own province)
The Canadian Health care system is 70% publicly funded but mostly privately serviced. It is relatively efficient, a model that works pretty well, a model that the NHS may have to follow.
Although medical costs are regulated by the Canadian government & may not be as exorbitant as in the States, they may still be ruinous.
There is no reciprocal agreement on health care between the UK and Canada so you need private Insurance.
ski holidays
@Ade57, And remember every night is Hockey night on the TV!
snow conditions
@Bob, A fact not appreciated by my wife when I settle to watch my third back to back game. Skiing then hockey, bliss!!!!!
snow conditions
@Drunkenjoiner, just remembered that when we were in Banff last year we met a ladies ski club who had just moved out of The Ptarmigan to another hotel as they didn't think much of it, nothing in particular but general service/cleanliness/attitude weren't what they were used to, so maybe avoid that one (?).
ski holidays
Just to clear a few things up re health care In Alberta.

It is a publically funded system in general; with some exceptions, drugs , ambulance rides etc. Access to health care is by your health care number and without one you will be charged. it can be a lot.

I believe rescue in bounds is covered by the hill ticket. but even for Albertans the ambulance off hill would not be covered and costs add up depending on distance. Our work health care coverage would take care of it.
ski holidays
To confirm Ait transat no longer fly to Calgary in the Winter. We have a booking with Canadian Affair for 16th - 30th Dec this year and they have (finally) moved us over to Air Canada out of Heathrow.

Quick question - Has anyone used www.americanskiclassics.com for lift passes? they are currently showing great savings vs Skibig3 for the tri area pass (skiing 10 out of 13 days)
snow conditions
ClubCanadian wrote:
Quick question - Has anyone used www.americanskiclassics.com for lift passes? they are currently showing great savings vs Skibig3 for the tri area pass (skiing 10 out of 13 days)

Yes I got a great deal for lift tickets through them, I thought it was linked to purchasing accommodation. They did a great job of putting a package of flights, transfers, accommodation and lift tickets.
snow report
ClubCanadian, Yep used ASC for passes before, but as Lechbob, says you will only get the Big 3 pass when purchasing accommodation as well as they are linked. The hotels have to chip in for the bus service IIRC.
snow conditions
Did 7 days in Banff in 2010. No problems with jet lag and a week was OK. Well worth a visit. Sunshine is amazing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy