Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eperney Reims

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
those that know the area well is it worth us stopping off for a couple of nights here en route back from Morillon in August at the end of our summer hols. We are quite interested in Champagne and would look to take a cave tour but is there plenty of other stuff to see there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what "other stuff" you like. I do yearly trips just to go there stock-up. Epernay is nice, but route de champagne is even better - small champaign houses have by far the better product if you know what you are lookng for - the big houses buy most of their raw matterial from smaller owners and then bottle it into recognisable bottles; then smaller guys are keeping the best grapes for themselves Very Happy besides champagne there are other interesting products made in the area. So my advice is stroll along Epernay streets, have a guided tour in one of the big houses, bet then 'fill-up' elswhere. Btw, unofficial tour in a small house by the owner is usually much more interesting than a student explaining it a big house. It is a lovely region, local tourist info point will have something to offer I am sure
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We used to have a neighbour with a French wife - she came from a small champagne family and they sourced some wonderful, and very reasonably priced, champagne for my son's wedding, some years ago. I would feel completely at sea now, trying to buy champagne from a producer, and wouldn't know where to start. It's a nice idea, though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We spent a weekend in Reims a few years ago and did the Pommery cellar tour, which was very cool - some of the cellars allegedly date back to Roman times.

We also spent two nights there last summer, and went to Hautvillers and spent a very pleasant afternoon wandering round the town and visiting small producers, all of which were offering free tasting. I think the (many) bottles we bought averaged about €12 each... You couldn't visit every cave in Hautvillers in a day. Both experiences were great but if you're looking for bargains to bring home definitely head for the small places.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"...is it worth us stopping off ...." Yes..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have done this a few times, stopping in Champagne to pick up a reasonable qty of booze for the summer. Prices around 10 euros up to about 15 for the really good stuff, other advantage is that you can taste a lot to find what you like, and sometimes what you like will be dirt cheap.

We stayed here, good breakfast and nice rooms, plus much more character than a lot of places, and cheap for what you get (70 euros for a room big enough for about 10, but with a double bed!) http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1210039-d3337584-Reviews-La_Marotiere-Mareuil_sur_Ay_Marne_Champagne_Ardenne.html#Hotel_Review-g1210039-d3337584-Reviews-La_Marotiere-Mareuil_sur_Ay_Marne_Champagne_Ardenne.html/BackUrl?&_suid=143613718984201280210320541874

TallTone can confirm the quality of the nightlife in the local bistro Wink but needless to say all the champagne we could drink, a steak dinner, a lot of beer, and a lot of entertainment was had for 50 euros each.

From there you can tour around all the local places, just look for any house with a sign that they are producers and go and knock on the door, most will show you around and talk to you about their champagne, the difference between different options they've got and the manufacturing process, but expect quite a bit to be in French with some English - that said it is all about the taste.

Note, if you are planning a trip avoid Sundays unless you want to go to church. The whole place is closed on Sun, inc the champagne houses and everything other than the big tourist attraction brands.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jirac18, we've done just that this weekend, arriving on Thursday lunchtime. HAd a drive around the villages on the Route de Champagne in the afternoon and stopped at a couple of producers.
B&B on the Ave de Champagne in Epernay. www.magnaquies-epernay.jimdo.com . Gorgeous rooms and a view to die for.
Friday morning we went to Hautvillers and visited Domaine Tribaut for tasting. THis is where Dom Perignon's Abbey is, and well worth a visit (we didn't go this time, too hot and we had the dog with us). THen back to Epernay for a good lunch at La Sardaine followed by another trip to a smaller producer on the Ave de Champagne (Michel Gonet). On top of that there is also Moet et Chandon and Mercier on the Ave de Champagne.
Prices have gone up a couple of euros a bottle recently. Something to do with stockpiling in Japan and the USA.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

From there you can tour around all the local places, just look for any house with a sign that they are producers and go and knock on the door, most will show you around and talk to you about their champagne, the difference between different options they've got and the manufacturing process, but expect quite a bit to be in French with some English - that said it is all about the taste.

that does sound good. Something to do on my next drive back to the Alps, perhaps, in November. Stock up for Christmas. Though, come to think of it, will be in the Alps for Christmas, so maybe better do it on the way down!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy