Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Comments on our new online shop

Poster: A snowHead
We have completely redone our online shop and I was hoping for a little feedback in terms of bugs, loading speed, usage on different browsers, pc, iPhone etc. Have a play with the wish list, course compare tool and search function to see if all works as I hope it should as I have had a few problems along the way rolling eyes

Mods: Happy to delete the thread in a week or so after any comments received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not loading despite hitting refresh on my laptop - Windows 8.1 using - Chrome Version 43.0.2357.130 m

This is the page address that Chrome is trying to load: http://www.insideoutskiing.com/sales2

It has eventually loaded but took ages
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Samerberg Sue, thanks for looking, when you say ages was it minutes 10's of seconds or ? are you on broadband connection?

our hosting server is slow and this is one thing I am trying to sort out...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skimottaret, Bugs dude... slowness is KOing the system

Quote:
PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in E:\Domains\i\insideoutskiing.com\user\htdocs\sales2\vqmod\vqcache\vq2-system_modification_system_library_language.php on line 20
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Really slow for me. If I was looking at the site as a customer rather than because you'd asked I would've clicked off and searched elsewhere. The home page took in excess of 15 seconds to load and when I tried to click through onto other things it took so long to load that I though the link was broken. Tried it on my laptop on a broadband connection.

Also when using the booking section, I have to keep randomly selecting dates to check availability, only to find the ones I selected are full. It would be much better if I could see what space there was at a glance and select my date based what you have available.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reloaded and it came up fine...Ohhh those intermittent slowness issues...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
897sma wrote:

Also when using the booking section, I have to keep randomly selecting dates to check availability, only to find the ones I selected are full. It would be much better if I could see what space there was at a glance and select my date based what you have available.

+1
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A little slow to load for me, but all was there when it did load.

Other issues:
Under "London clinics" - the photos are a lot smaller than under the other tabs, which looks odd, and makes me think it's broken/not loading right
Also - "London" isn't very descriptive. You're at Hemel aren't you? I think you shoudl say that to be specific. Unless you do have multiple London locations, or are right in the centre!
"Alpine Holidays" tab - only party 'unfurls' so only the very top of the categories underneath are visible. All the others 'unfurl' properly (apart from Glasgow which doesn't do anything - I assume that's deliberate?)

Apart from that it looks great Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Home page loaded up fine (just a couple of seconds). done a quick course compare and no issues presented. I'm on my work PC using Firefox
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skimottaret, taking minutes and causing my system to hang.

I'm on a very fast broadband connection, possibly one of the fastest in Germany as the head of Deutsche Telekom has a holiday house in my village and so have lots of his managers and project leaders (a friend is a project manager and meets colleagues regularly here on working holidays!). We call this system ADSL and it is fibre optic based.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fixx, the London clinics photos are auto scaled to be 6 across and the Alpine hols 2 across , I may change that. ta decided to go with London & Glasgow instead of Hemel & Braehead

@897sma, could you give me a link to the "booking section" not sure what page you mean

@Richard_Sideways, I think one issue is that the image cache is still being built up for each page and is improving... My server hosting is very slow and we may need to move to a new hosting provider in future.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
much better

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 2-07-15 16:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Samerberg Sue, hmmm.... could you click refresh on your browser and try again? I have made a few changes...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Much faster now
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://insideoutskiing.com/sales2/catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/icons/fonts/journal-icons.woff is missing so I don't see the icons
latest report
@Little Martin, can you click on the Shop home icon on the left hand side of the menu? do you see the home icon or is it a square?

I don't get the error message but the icons don't load properly in Chrome. What browser are you using? that .woff file is loading okay on other browsers..

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-07-15 13:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Shop home link opens in a new tab instead of same window

London clinic sub nav pics need to match the other sub navs, ideally all sub navs should use the same layout

http://insideoutskiing.com/sales2/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56 - padding on buttons not right, doesn't look consistent with rest of design, and some buttons are massive, calendar icon is on row below input box

I'm not a fan of Roboto Condensed, looks a bit too compressed in places

On smaller screens I still get the black bar at the top

http://insideoutskiing.com/sales2/index.php?route=product/category&path=60 has some responsive issues with the sort/show boxes on smaller screens
ski holidays
@skimottaret, looks to be fixed now, can see the icons
ski holidays
@Little Martin, Have fixed shop home going to new tab, thanks. on the sub nav pics have made alpine hols and london clinics same size.

decided to go straight to product listing for private lessons, frequent skier as never have more than 6 courses so no need for sub categories and extra clicks but does look confusing. Also Glasgow has no active courses so appears not working. may have to rethink the layout...

on the main product pages you link to I don't have a lot of control over the padding but have reduced. .

can't see the calendar icon problem..
snow report
@skimottaret, faster loading but still not instantaneous as most sites are.

Clicked randomly on alpine and it did not load properly at all then defaulted back to the home page.

BTW you are still using some of my photos in your gallery without any acknowledgement! Sölden 2009 and a couple of other places
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, We do list photo credits http://insideoutskiing.com/info/legal.html snowHead

the loading time delays are about 1/3 rubbish server and 1/3 images which are as about as small as I would like to make em. can reduce image quality further but then your lovely photos will look rubbish Wink

Have redone the main menus so hopefully more consistent
snow conditions
Ha, I have a credit, and i didn't even know. Thanks @skimottaret Happy
ski holidays
It's ok except for the footer bar being all over the screen
snow report
@D G Orf, what browser are you using ? is it the grey bit or the white bottom bit with logos? could you try refreshing your browser and reloading home page ? cheers
snow conditions
@skimottaret, thanks that's all I wanted to know!

loading getting faster but still not as fast as your main site.

Deposits page loads properly now and is quicker than the home online shopping page. Most pages loading instantly except the main page, that is taking about 15 seconds
snow report
Seems to work fine for me. On firefox.
latest report
Running Windows HP 7 sp1 64bit.
on an Alienware with i7 processor and 4gb ram.
Internet explorer V11.0.17

Site loads a bit slow does lag when clicking on specific items approx. about 4-8 seconds longer than I would expect. adding items to basket etc works fine no lag or issues at all. The images all load drop down is responsive, just the load times as stated above being slow.
It is an easy site to navigate and find what you are looking for but I would say add a course under the Glasgow drop down ASAP ( I know it is a new site for you but does not look good especially with so many courses under the London drop down ).

Opera 30.0.1835.88

Similar to IE with load times about a second or so quicker.

Overall a very good site looks professional yet easy on the eye and just as easy to navigate and find what you are looking for.
No issues with any images under either browser.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 2-07-15 16:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, snowHead snowHead I am making constant changes to the site and each time I do that the first load will be slow but should be much faster the next time you refresh your browser. Once all the great suggestions are implemented I will stop messing with it and it should speed up.

The main site has very very few photos so loads quicker and doesn't have the database to load that the shop does, no way to improve other than changing servers...

@pam w, tah
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@speed098, many thanks, sadly our glasgow courses haven't been received that well and we have none scheduled at the moment. Hopefully will pick up nearer winter.

I ran some speed tests on a site I was recommended http://www.webpagetest.org and a big chunk of load time is the server response being very slow...
snow conditions
I am on Firefox and fibre broadband and website came up no problem.
ski holidays
@skimottaret,

Maybe a solution for the Glasgow site is to have the option to register interest in a course ? This could be an automatic tab that is enabled when no courses, under any section are scheduled/available to be booked.

Hopefully you would get enough registering interest so that you can actually schedule a course or two
snow report
Everything appearsd to work fine, but I must admit I prefer the appearance of http://insideoutskiing.com/
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
@Samerberg Sue, We do list photo credits http://insideoutskiing.com/info/legal.html snowHead

the loading time delays are about 1/3 rubbish server and 1/3 images which are as about as small as I would like to make em. can reduce image quality further but then your lovely photos will look rubbish Wink

Have redone the main menus so hopefully more consistent

My name isn't on that list? wink
snow report
@speed098, we do that within our main site and have an active mailing list, the shop is mainly for transactions.

will add a register your interest button on the main site , good idea Smile
snow conditions
@ansta1, Soz how could I have left off the photographer credit for our main splash shot with such strong selfie action ... All sorted now and you have pride of place Wink
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
@ansta1, Soz how could I have left off the photographer credit for our main splash shot with such strong selfie action ... All sorted now and you have pride of place Wink

On no, now DG will know my real name...... which i have been so trying to hide!

Thanks, really wasn't necessary, but thanks.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Home page loaded up fine (just a couple of seconds). done a quick course compare and no issues presented. I'm on my work PC using Firefox

Just repeated this little test on my home laptop (very old Toshiba Satellite running Google Chrome) and added a course to the checkout cart (since deleted Happy ). All works ok and the only noticeable difference was the shop page took a little longer to open (not much though). So all seems ok for me.
ski holidays
I have fixed a lot of little bugs and changed the menu structure. All looking good now and thanks for helping snowHead snowHead
snow report
It's still a bit slow. Am using an iPad with safari 8.
Couple of suggestions:
- a home button on pages
- reminder of levels for which each course is appropriate (though if I recall correctly that is on the main site)
snow report
A link back to the diary would be useful

It does change colour when you hover but it doesn't appear to be a hyperlink.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy