Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK " Three " Mobile Roaming

Poster: A snowHead
I think I must have confused myself over the number of countries. 99 must be with 3, the 29 it covers would be OK for me.

I've just spoken to idmobile to get some clarification on use. The 2 months is the limit that you can bust your monthly allowance by before they will bar you from roaming. You can use it abroad as much as you like as long as you avoid this. Therefore you need to set up a buffer to cover calls, etc not covered by the plan. I can't see how you can do this. Another trip to Carphone Warehouse required I think.

This is a minefield Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My 3 contract is SIM only and monthly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you expect everyone working in a mobile phone shop to be clueless you won't go far wrong. Manager in local Carphone Warehouse told me this morning the Takeaway plan doesn't include data when roaming (WRONG) and international calls are included (also WRONG) and 3, which they sell, is the same (also WRONG). Clueless the lot of them. Still thinking a £15 a month SIM only idmobile contract.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, One explanation for mid-channel charges is that you connected with one of the Channel Islands. They are neither UK nor Feel at Home, so roaming charges apply. I discovered this the expensive way. Free internet and phone calls in Cherbourg, but a big bill for a little bit of data in Alderney.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Peterkct, but the point was that on @pam w's bill it said she had connected over satellite, which is almost certainly not true given that normal mobiles don't do satellite.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When I was on a DFDS ferry in sept they had wifi but it was chargeable, expensive, and used the ships satellite link. I used a separate pay monthly last winter for a few weeks.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 19-10-15 2:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Claude B, I've bought a 3 sim, and if I can find an unlocked phone I am going to test it on the way next week. I'll put a £20 top up on it and see what happens. If I can actually get Vodafone to sort out my account and unlock my old phone.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells, Friend lives in Geneva and has used 3 for over a year, he comes back from time to time but his partner uses 3 too and she rarely does. Very hit and miss I think.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Claude B, I get reasonable reception and data with Vodafone (unlike when I am at home when it is rubbish) but it is too expensive at £3 per day. I only have to send one text message for that £3 charge to kick in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been using 3 mobile for a number of years and I dont know why anyone would choose another network.

I did have big trouble July 2014 .. when It would hardly connect to any network.
But it was fine this year.
I'm not sure if Switzerland is covered in the same "minutes like home" deal .. I did have a problem with a £4 data charge in Geneva Airport, some time ago.

You dont get that deal in Canada though (or didn't) which is very disappointing and Telco Operators in Canada seem to treat different provinces as different countries as well.

Oh ... just one thing ... this deal only cover calls made to UK registered mobiles ..i.e. the buddies you are with.
So if yo call for a take away pizza .. you will be stung!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn, mainly because the signal here in Durham was absolutely sh@ite.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh .. 3 mobile sims will only work on phones that support 3g technology, it probably wont work on that old Nokia from yester year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Damn, maybe I should stop using that 5210.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, I'm surprised at that ... I thought it was part of the UK ...
Perhaps not Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DrLawn,I am putting it down to the large number of 3-4 storey Georgian housing close to work, the huge Cathedral and Castle and the narrow streets, but it does not explain the lack of signal in anothe place with nothing but normal modern housing close by . Strangely I sometimes get a 4G data signal, but can't make or receive a call.
snow conditions
Quote:

Strangely I sometimes get a 4G data signal, but can't make or receive a call.

Yup. Most 4G networks still only make calls on 3G. I think one or two are starting to turn on 4G calls now.
latest report
I used to be in the GSM business in a former life, but I got off that gravy train at the station before 3G. Which we used to call WDCMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access)
Anyway its far to complex for anyone mortal to understand.
We were about to outsource it to some aliens from another universe to actually work out the technology to make it work .. so you can blame them.
We just got left with the task of choosing the colours.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, I am one of those aliens!
The reason you usually can't make calls on 4G is that they decided to completely drop the circuit switched side on which calls are made on 2G and 3G. So calls on 4G are made over packet switched / IMS... which turns out to be stupidly complex and incredibly hard to do handovers to 3G with. Massive own goal by 3GPP there imo.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, a tip on 3 top-ups. Each time you top up you get 150MB data for "free", whether you top up for £5, £10 or £20. So I always top up by £5. 4x£5 top-ups = 600MB rather than 150MB if you top up by 1x£20. To get the Feel at Home deal on PAYG, you need to buy an add-on for minimum of £10. Apologies if you already know this.
snow report
@Peterkct, Useful, thanks.
ski holidays
Well, my signal on Three "feel at home" remains tenuous. I have failed, since early this morning to download yesterday's 13min episode of the Archers. That time included a couple of hours in Albertville.

I realise this is scarcely something which will bother most people. Laughing but it's an indication of how limited the coverage is
latest report
pam w wrote:
I realise this is scarcely something which will bother most people. Laughing
Laughing Perhaps that's the very definition of a 1st World Problem!

In other places Three's 'Feel At Home' works much better. Last season as skimottaret and I were driving across Italy we used the Feel at Home service to download video of each of our clients we were teaching that week to assign them to coaching groups, downloading and viewing the footage directly on our phones as we drove across the A4. Worked extremely well, with not too much delay when downloading the footage from our Dropbox server.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 19-10-15 19:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I agree location seems to be key , in some locations reception can be very good and others poor. I have been using Three Mobile in Reberty , Les Menuires for 3 visits last winter and also for about 5 weeks this summer with good voice/data reception and Skype working really well. There is an Orange mast about 500 metres away from my apartment which probably helps.
latest report
@rob@rar, yes. The Three service was excellent in the Lofoten Islands earlier this year! unfortunately my bit of the Alps is poorly served
A few days ago I sat under a damn great mast on the top of a mountain with loads of antennae where the air must have been humming with signals. But none that my service provider would let me use! It's better than nothing though, and cheap.
ski holidays
@pam w, Les Arcs isn't too bad across most of the resort, especially since they switched their French telecom partners. However my apartment often has no signal at all unless I stand on the balcony. Fortunately we've installed broadband so Jane can download her Archers fix whenever she needs to.
snow conditions
@Steilhang ..... Nanuu Nanuu! (Gruss Gotte)
So we have met before ?

Are you from planet Infinion or the outer moons of Rhode & Shwartz?

I was in orbit around Nuremberg at the Phillips PKI until the landing of the the luners from Lucent.
latest report
@DrLawn, servus. Formerly at Lucent/Agere doing chips & sw for mobiles, but now in a startup doing 3G & 4G femtocells. We may have met.
ski holidays
It's been very painful but I've finally got some answers on idmobile Takeaway plan. Busting your allowance is going over your agreed credit limit over and above your plan. Can't do that twice in a year or roaming may be barred. Shouldn't be an issue as app will monitor that and you can top it up I believe. Going to go with that now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My number should be porting over to idmobile today Shocked Went with a 12 months sim only deal in the end, hadn't got enough faith for 24 months with a phone at double the price.
snow conditions
Hi Claude!

I think idMobile is a spin off from 3 .. I don't know if it offers the same roaming advantages.
snow report
@Messiah, I think @Claude B, has already researched this, and it was a better deal than 3 feel at home.
ski holidays
Yes idmobile uses 3 but allows unlimited use of plan in around 30 countries. In theory 3 is limited as to how long you can use it abroad. Although they do not necessarily enforce it I didn't want to get into a 24 month contract and be barred from roaming which is the whole point of changing.
latest report
Just for info 3 at home worked brilliantly in Vegas last week
latest report
I'm going to stick with the 3 at home for the time being. The signal at my French apartment is rubbish, but hopefully will get upgraded (there are much better signals available than the one 3 allow me to connect to!) but it does seem to work well generally. And I CBA to research a whole different way of doing things!
snow report
Change over to idmobile went well. First problem is that 3 signal at my home is very poor (I sort of knew that) and I have to sit on window sill in spare bedroom to use phone Happy Now using it in France. Working well for calls and texts and billing app confirms no extra charges except a text to a French mobile which was 5p. Data roaming turned on but I haven't really tested that yet.
snow conditions
Quote:

First problem is that 3 signal at my home is very poor

mine is awful (and absolutely non-existent in nearby Chichester), but I use my home broadband. I hope your data works OK - what quality signal are they claiming to give you? Best I could do in Les Saisies was 2g. Slow. But I think I'm just unlucky there, and maybe the signal will improve shortly.
snow conditions
I suspect 2G but my phone doesn't really indicate which well. Data worked fine in UK.
ski holidays
If you're having problems with 3 at home (as I was - basement flat, no signal) you can call Three and ask for a home signal box. This plugs into your wifi and uses that to connect to the network. Now have full strength everywhere in my flat.

In other news in relation to the OP, it was announced last month that data roaming charges are to be abolished from June 2017. In the interim, they will be capped at a certain level. Full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34646434

Also, your signal in the UK (regardless of your network) shouldn't make any difference as to the quality of signal you get abroad. It's all down to how well your handset picks up the networks of the country you're in.

Cheers
snow conditions
Quote:

your signal in the UK (regardless of your network) shouldn't make any difference as to the quality of signal you get abroad. It's all down to how well your handset picks up the networks of the country you're in.

Well, in the case of the 3 deal, I think it's also possibly a case of which networks they've done a deal with. There are better signals (listed on my phone) than I can connect to, in my area of the Alps.

I realise that the quality of my signal at home is irrelevant - otherwise as I have practically none, it would have been a bit dopey of me to go with 3. wink
ski holidays
@cattlegrid79, We use this too. If anyone in the house is on a 3 contract they'll send it for free and you can get any 3 number added to it. However for PAYG customers it is £50. It is much better than their in touch app, which we found cut out a lot (poor quality wifi).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy