Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ICE 4 week All Terrain Course in Val D-anyone done it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
3 middle aged good skiers (me 50 Shocked, Mr P, and his mate J) are thinking of doing this 4 week technique improving binge in Val D'isere next Jan.
Has anyone done, it or heard reports. I get the feeling we will be surrounded by lots of Gap Yah types (first 2 weeks are spent with the BASI level ones improving technique, then we follow a different programme). I am absolutely sure we will have an amazing time, but it would be interesting to hear feedback. Are we going to feel old? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not done it, although ICE is a good setup (i did my L1 assessment with them). Just one thought: a 4-week training block is pretty full on, mentally as much as physically. Make sure that you're entirely committed to your training as there will probably be days when you'll feel a bit miserable on the hill but you'll have to grit your teeth and get on with things if you are to get the most out of the training. Have you weighed up other training options?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, This was our older friend's idea, but I am all for it. We get weekends "off" (but I am almost bound to want to ski even then). I might worry about J not quite having as much stamina, but for me this would be a fab opportunity to finally get rid of old habits and acquire new skills. I completely understand what you mean by commitment. I may end up having to unlearn and start from scratch I suppose, which would be a right PIA. I am lucky enough to ski about 30 days a season, and I wish it were more. Any day on the hill is a good day for me (with only very rare exceptions).
I suppose we would have the comfort of knowing we are doing it for its own sake, and could always take a cheeky day out if it came to it, whilst acknowledging that this may hamper overall progress.

Not looked at anything else. The attraction of a month rather than taking separate week long courses is a big pull. I have from time to time contemplated a Warren Smith course, but I find it hard to follow his online teaching videos, and am therefore rather wary of signing up to one of his courses for fear that the teaching methods won't work for my brain.
This trip would also compensate for missing a big chunk of the following 2016/17 season as we are signed up to a big adventure to Antarctica. Whilst I know it will be the "trip of a lifetime", I'm going cos others really want to, and in all reality at this point I'd rather be in the mountains skiing than throwing my guts up in a boat in the southern ocean for the privilege of seeing a few penguins and icebergs.
So 4 weeks in Jan 2015 doing what I love more than anything in the world and getting much better at it is a done deal as far as I'm concerned! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Perty, I certainly wouldn't want to put you off, just wanted to flag up a key issue (which it sounds like you've already given a lot of thought to). I was chatting to one of the ICE guys yesterday, but only after I'd seen your post otherwise I would have asked him about it. One of the advantages of a long trip like that is you are almost certain to get some decent snowfalls coming through, so should have plenty of opportunity to develop your off-piste skills and tactics, as well as plenty of time on piste to develop your fundamentals.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Perty, Is accommodation included in the deal ? I wonder if the sweet spot would be to sort out 4 weeks in resort and then to hook up with a coach every other morning or so. The down time in between could make it easier to assimilate the training while working with the same person will be good too.

I know a few good people over there if you need any recommendations.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The odd day off doesn't hurt anything however if you're really keen it's more than possible to get a streak of 28 days or more - once you are ski fit. I'd highly doubt every day would be intensive tuition and suspect you"all spend a lot if time gradually upping the pace or the technicality of the terrain you cover. The important thing is to be out skiing in the shitty conditions: when it's raining, when light is really flat, when it's coral reef.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Accommodation is included, as well as grub (pretty basic, but we will no doubt supplement it).
What I like is the idea that the teaching and therefore (hopefully) the improvement will be incremental, involving the same instructors. The sociable side of being part of a bigger gang also appeals....hoping there are at least one or two older sorts out there! I know it's quite intensive to start, because you begin the course with the BASI level ones having your technique brought up to scratch, then after 2 weeks we get to do other stuff-an off piste week included.
I think we three will need to get ourselves fitter before the first week (hard when it starts on 3rd Jan-and i'd put money trying to have a cheeky NY week somewhere before we start!). A couple of years ago we skied 15 days on the spin with just one off in the middle to drive from the 3V to Anton to do a week's off piste in pretty dire conditions. The old legs did feel a bit tired by about day 10. I reckoned when I worked as a ski host in 05/06 it took me about 3 weeks skiing 6 days per week to get properly ski fit. Am older now (ugh!) a far better skier, so hopefully there won't be any obvious ill effects. For what it's worth, when skiing with our youngsters (now in 20s), it's me and Mr P who want to get out first and stay out longest.
I do wonder whether the oldest member of our party, who doesn't really take regular exercise and who tends to like bailing out of a ski day by mid afternoon may struggle.
Anyway...I want to keep skiing till I drop off the perch and if I can learn to do it better than ever to keep me going for the next 30 plus years, what's not to like!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy