Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal ski carriage......... Can they enforce new rules?

Poster: A snowHead
Evening.

Whilst I should be working I thought I would pass the time to see why I can go next year.

Whilst doing a "dummy" booking through crystal ski, I entered into the carriage section

I see they have not put their price up to £50 each way...... Bit steep I thought, but the rules seem absurd

Double Ski Bag
Ski carriage for a double ski or board bag – so one that's been designed for 2 sets of kit – costs £50. This gives you an additional weight allowance of 20kg. This bag must contain 2 sets of equipment. If there's only one set in the bag, the weight allowance is reduced to 15kg and no refund will be provided.

Or am I missing something?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless they are going to start forcing you to open the bag and prove you have 2 sets of skis then I can't see how they can. You could, of course, be a bit cheeky a put a pair of toy skis in. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking at the website it appears that it is £50 return not each-way:

Quote:
Ski carriage for a bag with one set of skis (with poles) or a board costs £35. This gives you an additional weight allowance of 15kg for your ski or board equipment. It's fine to put clothes in this bag too, as long as you stay under 15kg.

Ski carriage for a double ski or board bag – so one that's been designed for 2 sets of kit – costs £50. This gives you an additional weight allowance of 20kg. This bag must contain 2 sets of equipment. If there's only one set in the bag, the weight allowance is reduced to 15kg and no refund will be provided.

If you want to use one of the larger ‘coffin’ style bags, this can be done with payment of the £35 carriage charge, allowing a checked allowance for this item of 23kg total. When choosing this option, no other hold baggage is allowed.

The benefits of booking ski carriage before you travel are:
    It's cheaper than if you're paying for it at the airport (£45 per set of skis/snowboard, £60 for a double bag).
    We guarantee to transport your equipment to your accommodation in-resort.
    If your equipment doesn't arrive on your flight we'll provide you with intermediate skis or board equipment for free until your kit arrives in resort.

Talk about making things complicated! If I use a 'coffin' style bag I have to pay £35 but still only get a 1 bag allowance albeit at 23kg rather than 20kg. What is the point of that? You'd be as well paying £50 and getting 2 pieces. I wonder what they'd do if you turned up with a only a 'coffin' bag with 1 pair of skis and it was under 20kg?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaza, WHat exactly is a "coffin" style bag. Is it the size of a standard adult coffin, or a child one?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kiteman69 wrote:
Double Ski Bag

I don't think they actually mean "This bag must contain 2 sets of equipment." What they mean is, if there's only 1 pair of skis, you can't use the full 20kg allowance on general clutter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dogwatch wrote:
kiteman69 wrote:
Double Ski Bag

I don't think they actually mean "This bag must contain 2 sets of equipment." What they mean is, if there's only 1 pair of skis, you can't use the full 20kg allowance on general clutter.

That is exactly what they mean and it isn't in dispute. The question is; "how will they enforce it?" Will they have everyone who has booked the double bag allowance open the bag at the airport so they can inspect what is inside?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't expect check in dollies will have a clue so if there's a cheaper price for a single ski bag just pay that or it gives you an excuse to Quiver TFU.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
WHat exactly is a "coffin" style bag.

This is a ski bag carried by pallbearers into an airport terminal or crematorium
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
@Gaza, WHat exactly is a "coffin" style bag. Is it the size of a standard adult coffin, or a child one?

Well I have one of these and it is 190cm so adult. Length ways I'd fit but not width ways:- Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

And my son has one of these at 156cm so child. He'd fit both length and width:-

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The rules aren't new :- http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2624841&highlight=carriage#2624841

and of course they can enforce them , but in reality they are unlikely to as the check in and baggage handlers aren't Tour Op peeps. But you pay's your money and takes Your chance and if someone in front of me in the queue was arguing to try and 'get around the rules' then I would certainly av' a word.........
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
These rules were in place last year. I took a board bag with snowboard and other tat and only paid the 35quid. I didn't actually see these rules until after I booked. I think just as long as you stick within the weight limits then they won't care.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kiteman69, you are just going to have to buy a new pair of skis!

Seriously, though, the trouble is that the contract is not a negotiation between two parties it is a take it or leave it condition. So there is the danger that they will enforce it. Although, the condition is that the weight limit reduces if you only take one pair and apart from the extra £10 or £15 cost why would it matter?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
henzerani wrote:
Although, the condition is that the weight limit reduces if you only take one pair

So take a second pair. Of course that 2nd pair may only be 6" long and made of balsa, but I am making the rash(?) assumption that they've not defined what they mean by "a pair of skis".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gaza wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
kiteman69 wrote:
Double Ski Bag

That is exactly what they mean and it isn't in dispute.

Well it can't be, can it? Otherwise they wouldn't go on to explain what happens if you only have one pair.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What about getting three sets in one bag (a big one like @Gaza's)? No one will check, it's not even Crystal at check in/oversize bags at most airports.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
Gaza wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
kiteman69 wrote:
Double Ski Bag

That is exactly what they mean and it isn't in dispute.

Well it can't be, can it? Otherwise they wouldn't go on to explain what happens if you only have one pair.

Semantics. What they are saying is if you book a double bag but only put one set in you will only get the single bag allowance, 15kg, and we won't give you the £15 difference back.
snow conditions
Can you take a coffin bag with no skis in it as your normal luggage allowance?
ski holidays
Ghost Dog wrote:
Can you take a coffin bag with no skis in it as your normal luggage allowance?

The rules state you can take a coffin bag but they don't say you have to have skis in it. However, they will charge you £35 for taking one and all you will get is 3kg more baggage allowance than if you took a regular bag.

Quote:
If you want to use one of the larger ‘coffin’ style bags, this can be done with payment of the £35 carriage charge, allowing a checked allowance for this item of 23kg total. When choosing this option, no other hold baggage is allowed.

It would be interesting to see what they would say if you pitched up with only a coffin bag that weighed 20kg and contained no skis. Would they insist it was a 'ski bag' and therefore should have been pre-booked and an additional charge paid?
ski holidays
@Gaza, probably class it as 'oversize' ??
snow conditions
Slightly off kilter but I flew from Glasgow to Southampton on FlyMAYBe yesterday and my bag was 21.6kg. The machine wanted to charge me £30. Lucky I had a back pack relatively empty. Worries me that I am flying with them to Chambery next year with suitcase, skis, ABS back pack etc. These companies are getting ansie!
snow report
So long as you stick within the weight limits for the bag and ski bag then you won’t have a problem. However, don’t rely on the FlyBe website (which is crap in any case) as if you are flying to CMF on a charter it is the To who sets the rules not the airline.

We were with Jet2 last year (Esprit charter) and our bags were at 20kg with one ski bag at 19kg and the other at 15kg. That will be different next year as I’ll have an extra pair of planks in my bag and my son will have a heavier set of race skis in addition to his twin tips. Esprit do say ‘1 pair of skis’ but the J2 check-in staff didn’t bat an eye when we checked in two bulging bags.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy