Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
A bit harsh, duncansarmy: they are a company, keen for business.
Like we Big up our kids, they are bigging up their resort.
Very sensible.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
duncansarmy wrote:
Yep, full of sh*t!

Nope, full of marketing and fully understandable. They have to sell stuff so will always make it sound amazing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
12z update (op run a bit of an outlier).

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen, I'm not sure if I like that one, I live and work right by the biggest accumulation. Luckily my new work schedule means I can work from home until they clear the roads. If even half of this comes true, we are looking at the same opening as the 2005/2006 winter in my neck of the woods, almost down to the exact same time for the snow to come in large quantities! Currently we are having snow flurries on and off all around the clock. The ground is cold and if it is in shadow the small amounts that have fallen so far are not melting. Temperatures did not get above +2°C around here even though the sun broke through this afternoon (we still had some snow flurries though from an apparently clear sky Puzzled )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim wrote:
A bit harsh, duncansarmy: they are a company, keen for business.
Like we Big up our kids, they are bigging up their resort.
Very sensible.

I don't think so, of course they need to market, I work in marketing so appreciate that. But the conditions right now are far from paradise and snow is not forecast every day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
duncansarmy, you are a brave man to admit working in marketing while criticising another company for possible inaccuracy Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Certain inaccuracy, I would be sued for such claims!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
duncansarmy, profuse apologies! Should have put an "alleged" in there somewhere Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paradise is such a subjective term though - an alpine resort bereft of snow could be classed as paradise to some, then again I do live in Wolverhampton Laughing

With their snow every day forecast claims they've just taken the Snow Forecast site to the next level wink

@nozawaonsen, how's next week's weather shaping up for those of us going on the PSB to Tignes?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They don't give a provenance for their forecast - but was, of course, their new chef's girlfriend's mate.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
looks like snow for most of Weds, from late tonight trhough to Thursday, according to Meteox.

a site that was bang on with the forecast last Boxing Day...........much to my and many others pain ...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Loving the look of the St Anton forecast. Looking like safely over a metre by he end of the week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blasted Austrians grabbing all the snow again . . .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beware the outlier. Last night's GFS op was way out on it's own.

It's calmed down a bit now. Still looks like reasonable snowfall across the northern Alps pver next seven days.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 24-11-15 20:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chamonix

The Arlberg

Cairngorm

Looks like a milder spell at the start of December though unclear how long it will last with 06z suggesting in may be quite brief.
snow conditions
Excuse my ignorance, the measurements on the right, is that snow or rain? If rain is there a rough conversion to amount of snow? (appreciate there are variables, wind etc)

Cheers
ski holidays
It's mm of rain.

I'm sure someone will be able to give a much more scientific response than mine but I think 1mm of rain approximates to just under 1cm of snow as a rule of thumb.
latest report
Rain in mm. 1cm rain approx 10cm snow.
snow report
@duncansarmy, its precipitation at approximately 1500m above sea level. roughly 10mm of rain = 10cm of snow.....just a guide remember.

Also worth noting that along the bottom is a measurement of time, so just because you get a large sharp spike it may not mean lots of precip as it may last for only a short period - often longer periods of snow are shown in more of a lower more elongated plateau on the ensemble.
snow conditions
Top knowledge chaps, many thanks.
snow report
Chart above updated for 12z. An upgrade in terms of snowfall particularly for Austria where the siege of Samerberg (admittedly in Germany) looks on.
snow report
MF are forecasting some rain as high as Avoriaz at the weekend.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, now confined to quarters with a flu-like bug, so I'm happy to let it fall let it fall let it fall! Samerberg is 50:50 I look into austria from my balcony! wink
snow report
pam w wrote:

@pam w, really? This weekend? Maybe at the start of next week.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

I'm guessing that's a bad thing?
snow report
Pam is always super optimistic.
snow report
VT is opening tomorrow so maybe we should get the skiing in quick before it washes away snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

Maybe at the start of next week

yes, Monday for Avoriaz, actually, but earlier in the weekend for a swathe of lower resorts (e.g. Meribel). LPN bouncing up and down between 900 and 1900m. Shocked

@Filthyphil30k, I'm reporting MF forecasts. Neither optimistic or pessimistic. You prefer throwing chicken bones till you get the answer you're looking for?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, how is a local e.g. Avoriaz MF forecast produced? any human involvement? As that doesn't agree with Chamonix Meteo nor Meteoblue...(which I find quite reliable).

That said, Chamonix have no confidence beyond Wednesday.
snow report
Well the 18z GFS has the snow line around 1200m plus or minus at the weekend for the French Alps. Warms up on Monday, but by that point the snow has moved on.
ski holidays
Quote:

how is a local e.g. Avoriaz MF forecast produced?

I don't know. But over several years I have found them no more reliable than snow-forecast. Different, though (sometimes very different) so they presumably don't rely just on GFS.

Hard to believe there are no forecasters involved - I'd be interested to find out. Somebody will know.

GFS is jumping about a fair bit - a lack of confidence seems a reasonable conclusion!
latest report
@pam w, my understanding of Meteo Suisse forecast is that the regional/national forecasts are produced by living creatures but if you dive in at communal (or post code level) it's straight off the models and there's a disclaimer as to accuracy and stability.
latest report
No sign of rain in Avoriaz this weekend. But there should be snow.

Next week does look quite mild though...

http://youtube.com/v/tiHR11QqIoI

Unclear how long it will last at present with a big spread from the end of next week.
snow report
Yeah I saw the latest gfs run this morning, suggests a rather stubborn high pressure and low precipitation....fingers crossed it changes its mind over the next few days or we could face a big melt!
snow conditions
Waynea1983 wrote:
Yeah I saw the latest gfs run this morning, suggests a rather stubborn high pressure and low precipitation....fingers crossed it changes its mind over the next few days or we could face a big melt!

Sad
snow conditions
I wouldn't draw any conclusion one way or another from the GFS ensembles for Deceber - all over the place.
snow report
Looks like it' similar to last year. Early season snow that only stayed in the high places.
snow conditions
@emwmarine, rather early to suggest that at this stage.
ski holidays
hold tight....we ve only just got snow on the ground.....

emwmarine......different to last year in the that fell was far earlier in nov, melted and then nothing until 26/12!!!!!!!

this year is far later in Nov, cold enough to also get the cannons firing..........

i d say we are in much better shape than this time last year......but granted an extended mild spell could erode that....lets see it crop up on more than just GFS before we head to the nearest cliff!! LOL
latest report
stefoy4me wrote:
hold tight....we ve only just got snow on the ground.....

emwmarine......different to last year in the that fell was far earlier in nov, melted and then nothing until 26/12!!!!!!!

this year is far later in Nov, cold enough to also get the cannons firing..........

i d say we are in much better shape than this time last year......but granted an extended mild spell could erode that....lets see it crop up on more than just GFS before we head to the nearest cliff!! LOL

Well said @stefoy4me
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy