Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Comparing Tignes and St Foy cams, quite a difference although being circa 15 km apart ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
60mm on NYM at 0200 this morning........................

None now.................. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meribel cam came online 1300 today.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
emwmarine wrote:

10 A=25 + RAND NUMBER
15 resort = RAND String "Val Thorens", "paradiski", "Les Antons"
20 For i = 20 to 1 step -1
30 print "predicted snow depth in resort ": A "Inches of snow predicted in ": i " days time"
40 A = A - 3
50 next i

There that's GFS written for you.

30 print "predicted snow depth in"; resort$;": ";A;" Inches of snow predicted in "; i ;" days time"

that's better, GFS should work now! Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jellylegs wrote:
emwmarine wrote:

10 A=25 + RAND NUMBER
15 resort = RAND String "Val Thorens", "paradiski", "Les Antons"
20 For i = 20 to 1 step -1
30 print "predicted snow depth in resort ": A "Inches of snow predicted in ": i " days time"
40 A = A - 3
50 next i

There that's GFS written for you.

30 print "predicted snow depth in"; resort$;": ";A;" Inches of snow predicted in "; i ;" days time"

That's better, GFS should work now! Smile

Thank's been a while since I had to remember sinclair Basic syntax.....

Snowforecast is showing 12mm snow for next Wednesday at VT, when they run my ZX81 GFS upgrade software we will soon see that disappearing over the next few days Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bucket loads in Central Switzerland today, was funny as was first day temperatures had dropped under 15C or so during daytime!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowed overnight 27cm in Mürren (Wengen 5cm) by 9am

https://twitter.com/Murrenlover
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im copenhagen we got at bit of snow kaos just now. Low pressure bom has hit the area.
People will go nordic skiing Sunday 😨
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just been outside and we have some dandruff on the ground in the village but the roads are clear. Lots more on the mountain opposite though Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Loads of snow in Morzine/ Montriond and still going. Now being woken by the sound of the plough not the donkeys in the field behind. Winter is here
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Snowfall for the Alps looks like coming in three bands over the next week.

- Late Wednesday into Thurday.
- Saturday night.
- Sunday night into Monday

The north side of the Alps will see the most snow.

Scotland should also see some decent snowfall this week especially in the west.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 23-11-15 10:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's been a very good few days and hopefully week or so to come.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like Yorkshire but its actually the French alps this afternoon. Cold and windy.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess that rules out any more cycling.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good old El Nino - I knew it wouldn't let us down snowHead
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen,has El Niño had an impact on this or is it just the way it is
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:

Scotland should also see some decent snowfall this week especially in the west.

Just watched the weather for the week ahead on Countryfile and it didn't match that chart. The temps looked to be much too high for any serious snow.
snow conditions
I thought country file showed precipitation over the alps mid weeks? It was difficult to tell as it was only a fleeting view.

Do they use GFS?
latest report
@emwmarine, it did but I isolated the comment "Scotland should also see some decent snowfall this week especially in the west." Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@Gaza, not at all.

The chart I showed runs out till midnight on Sunday.

Although there may be some snow showers on the mountains tomorrow, temperatures for Scotland are due to be relatively high midweek and into the end of the week, but ECM and GFS both suggest it will cool next weekend. And that's where the snowfall shown on that chart comes from.

Here's the ECM which is not that different for GFS next Sunday.

And at the end of the Country File forecast (still for now provided by the Met Office) they also talked about it getting colder next weekend.

So pretty consistent I reckon.

Whether it still looks that way tomorrow is another point altogether of course.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, apologies. I missed the date on the chart and thought you were referring to this coming week.
ski holidays
@Gaza, to be fair I wasn't very specific when I said "this week" but I meant the next seven days rather than the working week. Either way you are quite right that it doesn't look that cold up until possibly the weekend!
snow conditions
Finally about half the snow fell in the French Northern Alps that was forecast by Meteo France. Still that's pretty much normal. Less snow on the ground than this time last year but that was hardly a reference. Should be ok where there is snow making for the start of the skis season or above 2500 meters. Elsewhere, not so much.
latest report
Quote:

Less snow on the ground than this time last year but that was hardly a reference. Should be ok where there is snow making for the start of the skis season or above 2500 meters. Elsewhere, not so much.

Well, even if the amounts of snow were identical to this time last year, it all depends what happens in the following weeks, doesn't it? If it gets very warm, like last year......could be just as bad. If it stays cold and there's more precipitation, plus the snow making on key areas, should be absolutely fine. Too soon to say, one way or another, but it's not looking too bad, with a high probability of more snow during this coming week. A huge amount can happen in three weeks.
ski holidays
Tignes reporting 70cm fresh Smile

snow report
Nice
ski holidays
I've updated the chart I posted yesterday afternoon for the latest 06z forecast which now suggests there should be fairly substantial snowfall for the northern Alps in the next seven days, more so to the west, but still plenty in the east.

As ever I would not take those figures on the chart too seriously. They will in any case change, but it gives you an idea. The heaviest snow looks like falling this weekend Sunday into Monday. After that the following week looks like starting relatively mild as high pressure starts to rebuild.

SLF update for Switzerland valid up till 1700 last night.

"Since Friday evening the following overall amounts of snowfall have been registered above 2500 m:

- Northern flank of the Alps,northern Valais, western Lower Valais: 60 to 100 cm
- Remaining parts of Valais, remaining parts of Gotthard region, northern Grisons, Silvretta and Samnaun: 30 to 60 cm
- Further to the south, significantly less; in the furthermost south, dry

Wednesday

On Wednesday in northern and western regions, snowfall is anticipated down to low lying areas accompanied by strong velocity westerly winds."
snow conditions
That table is nearer to 100mm (10cm)........
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's way more than 10cm.. more like 25cm or so. They are reporting 80cm at 3000m.
snow report
@Maersk, my eyes are bad but I think yours are worse! While I don't think it is 70cm it is a good bit more than 10cm. I would say the table is around 70cm high and the snow on top around a 1/3 of that height. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

This always make me laugh when thinking about perspective:-

http://youtube.com/v/dS12p0Zqlt0
snow conditions
I was thinking it didn't look like 70cms but not wanting to be accused of being pessimistic..... wink
snow report
Just to repeat that it is incredibly difficult to accurately measure snowfall (and I'm not sure that table was actually meant to have been illustrating 70cm snowfall anyway). 70cm may well have fallen at some point in Tignes or it may not. But it won't necessarily have been uniform across a wide area and won't necessarily be there now. It will have been blown all over the place by the wind, collecting in some places whilst being stripped in others and sunk under it's own weight.

It's very hard to accurately (within cms) predict snowfall and it's very hard to accurately measure it afterwards.
snow report
Maersk wrote:
That table is nearer to 100mm (10cm)........

As Noza says, it is clearly very difficult to measure, but that image shows way more than 10cm. It may of course be wind blown, but it doesn't look like it.
snow conditions
Interesting point. So what do snow depths actually mean? Are they measured in a standard way (amount collected on a weather station or something) or is it completely arbitrary and dependent on how poorly the local tour operators are doing at the time?
ski holidays
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, well one suspects that a fair few places with a commercial interest might be fairly arbitrary leaning towards exaggeration, but that's being cynical. You also need to distinguish between an attempt to describe snowfall versus snow depth. Both being different.

This article gives some good background.

https://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/in-brief/4477/how-deep-snow
latest report
Arbitrary, and not based on fact, or borders scraping it down to zero.
snow report
@Gaza, lol... the reported 70cm was never based on that table anyway !! lol... they mean at altitude !
snow conditions
I received this email from a reputable chalet hosting company....

"The snowfall this weekend has turned Morzine from a sleepy autumn town into a snow covered Ski & Snowboard paradise...and yes, we're VERY excited. The forecast of snow every day this week is just what we want for an awesome early season! The sub zero temperatures are set to continue with the freezing level staying well below village level, creating a nice stable base and good snow pack."

A 'paradise' no less and snow EVERY DAY! I mean who needs weather reports? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Well, I have no idea how much snow actually fell in Morzine but at Les Saisies, not far off and at a considerably higher altitude, they had 24cms. Transformational on the webcams but not actually a great deal of snow. Looks like some more coming this week...... but what do you expect from chalet companies? wink
snow report
Yep, full of sh*t!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy