Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Complete cover in the Cairngorm bowl today.

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1187
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Quote:

When one is doing that you tend to see the frailties of forecasts

I think we are all pretty clear about the frailties of forecasts even if you feel, as you note above, that what you have to say "goes over most people's heads" ...

We are clear, in particular, thanks to education from nozawaonsen and his illustrious precedessors (too many of whom have given up because of daft comments) about the pointlessness of paying much attention to snow-forecast, which turns one part of a whole raft of possibilities (often such a wide and leaky raft that it should be disregarded) into nice numbers.

Frankly, considering the probable, possible and potential 'Black Swan' type variables at play, I think the forecasts are amazingly accurate these days tbh. Some days the forecasts practically pick up to the hour when a snow 'shower' will come in and its affectls on different altitudes and particular parts of the mountain. I think that's pretty amazing tbh, then again despite having worked in telecoms for decades , I still think email is pretty cool too Smile

Speaking of cool, I'm now back in Ireland and it's bloody freezing for this time of year (snow showers in Dublin last week and all). Season is over now for moi, but with 10days in Whistler at NY and 11days in France in early March, I feel I got some of the best of it. I mention those cos I was originally booked for 2 weeks in Chamonix over NY, but changed my plans and bookings cos of the weather forecasts (including valuable insight from this very thread) which were dire and turned out to be accurate enough. So thanks for all the weather wisdom folks, particularly Noza, if I ever get to meet you remind me to buy you several beverages....before the predicted snow showers come in, that is, cos then I'll want to be skiing Little Angel. So thanks & kindly keep up the good work. snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 2-05-16 9:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks to Noza for all the valuable information this season - look forward to getting involved again in the Autumn. Just got to decide whether to return to Chatel which for the most part was great this year - January, early Feb and March - or whether to venture elsewhere....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes thanks to all for assistance and commentary this season, looking forward to the endless speculation and torture next season already!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snake Pass is closed today 'cos of snow. Shame I have to work tomorrow or I'd be up there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Must add my voice to the chorus, and on behalf of all the other Weather Thread lurkers, many thanks Noza for your contemplations this year, reading your commentary and summary of the forecasts has made this weird, warm, very late season very enjoyable. As one season draws to a close, another creaks open... time now for the NZ/Aus snowheads to pick up the baton and step up the chatter! Get us northerners through the ghastly sunshine and double digits of summer Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, that 31 March 'end of season' tombstone may have been premature for some parts of the Alps anyway. Never over 'til the fat snowman sings?
May Day beckons here in Espace Killy with a forecast of 20-30cms snowfall and maximum temperature below zero at village level of 1800m. Great conditions for any snowHeads, not already down to their speedos, who can get here for the last week of the winter season.
N'er cast a clout 'til May is out?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
8611 wrote:
Yes thanks to all for assistance and commentary this season, looking forward to the endless speculation and torture next season already!

But there's still a good week of skiing left with best conditions for a few years at this time. Keep the thread going till it all closes down.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our increasing weather worry.

Looking at the trend in this thread:

the all new 12/13 weather outlook 52 pages
the all new 13/14 weather outlook 63 pages
the all new 14/15 weather outlook 81 pages
the all new 15/16 weather outlook ... 127 pages and still a week to go.

We are getting more and more obsessed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
emwmarine wrote:
8611 wrote:

But there's still a good week of skiing left with best conditions for a few years at this time. Keep the thread going till it all closes down.

Absolutely - this thread will run till about Sept Oct anyway I think, I always check in mid July to see if anyone is as nuts as me, and then that first cold evening in September..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
intermediate wrote:
@davidof, that 31 March 'end of season' tombstone may have been premature for some parts of the Alps anyway.

I was looking at the les 2 alpes wecam this morning with the idea of going up with the tot and was surprised to see a little ribbon of blackish slush wending its way down from the snowline at 2100 meters. I thought, bggr that I'm not paying around 100 euros to ski the glacier and a couple of other runs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Meanwhile back literally at sea level in the UK I'm back to second guessing what the wind will do as opposed to the forecast. Though in the last two years the Met Office models have been very good at predicting sea breezes especially along our stretch of the coast.

Though today the wind is not playing ball and we had the wrong type of cloud, though still early and hoping that the wind will fill in mid afternoon.

Bizarrely there had been no real wind for a couple of months and I get back to the UK and the wind comes back!

I have a weather station on the house and that along with a weather blog and update on a site I run that in peak season gets over 4,500 page views.

The site enables wind and kite surfers to remain at home rather than chance a wasted trip down to the coast from the likes of London - though obviously they have to take a gamble and today just might not deliver the goods.

Another Hard Day at the Office Weather
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, and yet with lifts closed today, friends are reporting 25cm snow at resort level.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steady snow all day here at 2500m on the Zugspitze, for the last day of their ski season snowHead - rain/snow level was about 1350m

Off for more of the same at Stubai/Pitztal glaciers for the rest of the week, hoping to bag the Zuckerhutl and Wildspitze en route

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 1-05-16 17:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Warm week coming up in Europe.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

It doesn't matter now. This is the last week for the high resorts. Val Thorens has just had another dump and will be running nearly all the lifts with good snow still at village level. It's been a pretty good season for the high resorts.
ski holidays
@Whitegold wrote,
Quote:
Doesn't look very warm at altitude, if you're actually out here!
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

It doesn't matter now. This is the last week for the high resorts.

No it isn't wink
latest report
geoffers wrote:
Steady snow all day here at 2500m on the Zugspitze, for the last day of their ski season snowHead - rain/snow level was about 1350m

Off for more of the same at Stubai/Pitztal glaciers for the rest of the week, hoping to bag the Zuckerhutl and Wildspitze en route

Had a great day at Stubai today - absolutely no visibility, but lots of fun 'jedi skiing' the 15+cms of dense fresh snow. Zuckerhutl should be great when the sun comes out again!
latest report
Retour D'Est again in the Queyras !!

Hautes-Alpes: 45 cm de neige
ces dernières 24h à Ristolas (Queyras). Deux campeurs évacués - See more at:

http://www.dici.fr/actu/2016/05/01/hautes-alpes-45-cm-de-neige-dernieres-24h-ristolas-queyrasdeux-campeurs-evacues-766223#sthash.hjOwJMWR.dpuf
snow report
Les Saisies webcam today shows the snow being bulldozed off the slopes and being bussed away to be dropped over a cliff somewhere. Time to get that grass growing for the cows!
latest report
@pam w, not sure if this has been mentioned before but they are keeping some for the Tour de France, and to see how that would work for maintaining some out of season cross country skiing.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/05/01/une-piste-de-ski-pour-le-tour-de-france
snow report
@miranda, no, I'd not been aware of that plan. So that's where they're taking it, not to drop it over a cliff!

The Tour comes through Bisanne 1500 22 July but I shan't be there - I shall be sailing in Britanny. And neither, as far as I know at present, will anybody else. So if you fancy a stop on the route, to watch it all happen, let me know.
snow conditions
Well I think today is pretty much the end of the lift served sub glacial season. Glencoe, chamonix and val disere all finish today. All three have had a good late season. this marks season 5 or 6 in a row of good seasons in the west of Scotland and even the north west of England. Hope next year is at least as good! Still plenty of touring on offer at the moment.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

Not sure which part of Europe you're referring to, but it's not here, where temperatures have been on the cool side of normal. Do you think it's a sign of the next ice age coming?
snow report
@snoozeboy, temperatures forecast up to 23 in London this week. Silly newspapers full of "scorching" headlines!
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Well I think today is pretty much the end of the lift served sub glacial season. Glencoe, chamonix and val disere all finish today. All three have had a good late season. this marks season 5 or 6 in a row of good seasons in the west of Scotland and even the north west of England. Hope next year is at least as good! Still plenty of touring on offer at the moment.

Very good 'season' in the Brecon Beacons too.

First snow 21 November 2015
Opportunity for 3-5 days skiing mid-December, mid-January, mid-February, mid-March, end of March.
Last snow 28 April 2016

6 consecutive months with snowfall.

If I'd been in Wales for all the snow events I could easily have skied around 20 days this winter.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=121689
latest report
@pam w, re: the Tour - that's a very kind offer; I know we will have guests going over to Bisanne and I'm sure OH will 'guide' them (i.e. bunk off work as he is excited to see Bisanne included this year) but we are going to be very busy over those few days so I suspect I will have my nose to the grindstone!

It is an interesting experiment with the snow - as a short term 'event' it will certainly be a novel way to mark the village out on the map when the Tour comes through, but (in terms of this thread at least) the real interest is in the long term possibilities of an eco-friendly way of stocking snow rather than needing to 'make' it I guess.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey everyone, does anyone know where I can find weather resources or a forecast for Elbrus in Russia please?
snow report
@clarky999, http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mt-Elbrus/6day/mid
http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=43.34&lon=42.44

I'm sure there will be a russian language site too - but these will be some help.
snow report
Quote:

the real interest is in the long term possibilities of an eco-friendly way of stocking snow

Indeed. The Beaufortain has some examples of the old natural fridge "milk coolers", places where snow could be stocked for a long time to keep milk cool during the summer - I vaguely recall one above Boudin, below the Col de Pre.
snow conditions
Quote:
If the oak before the ash, then we'll only have a splash, if the ash before the oak, then we'll surely have a soak.

Here's hoping. I'm pretty sure around here the Oak is out before the Ash trees.
latest report
@AthersT, sorry forgot to reply - many thanks!
snow conditions
Piste bashing at Torre deastrela today for tomorrow's opening

http://www.skiserradaestrela.com/

Where, I can hear you ask? It is in Portugal

snow report
i could be grossly mistaken, but given the poor starts, and strong finishes for a lot of (alpine) resorts in the last couple of years at least , are we seeing a general shift in season forward by about 5/6 weeks or so? obviously this is bad news for the xmas/ new year markets as resorts will lose the opportunity to charge (very) premium prices to get the season going

apologies if this has been discussed, I've been away for a while!
snow report
Canada had a great season this year. Many resorts opened prior to official opening and had solid bases up until close.
snow report
@davidof, see it's been a tad wet up in the Chartreuse just up from you and close to my brother !!!!

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/05/14/granier-apres-l-eboulement-une-lave-torrentielle
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, see it's been a tad wet up in the Chartreuse just up from you and close to my brother !!!!

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/05/14/granier-apres-l-eboulement-une-lave-torrentielle

Yes, it has rained non stop the last week.
snow conditions
Mike, I don't think the strong finishes are a new phenomenon. The poor starts and higher freezing levels are perhaps more indicative of climate change.
snow conditions
Been a fair bit of snow above 2000m here this week. Torrential rain at resort level at times. It actually makes a difference here though as the summer season on the glacier opens on 18th June.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy