Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First slalom skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Im thinking about getting in to racing and would like to buy a pair of slalom skis and join my local club. Ive been skiing for a while now but thought Id take the leap to racing.

Can anybody give me any advice regarding what to look for when buying skis? Im 175cm tall and weigh 67kg. Hoping to spend up to £200.

I found these and they seem to be a good price although perhaps a bit too short?

http://www.snowcore.co.uk/rossignol-radical-world-cup-sl-fis-slant-nose-bindings

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a thread on here I started a while back asking about those skis. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2717278&highlight=slalom#2717278

We spoke to Jnr's coach who said that he didn't rate these Rossignol skis as he thought the bases were a bit thin (this info is second hand from OH to me, so something may have been lost in the message getting to me!). Pretty good price on them though.

Go down to your local club and see if anyone has anything second hand knocking about.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ive asked at the club a couple of times and they've said that they rarely get rid of skis because they use them until the edges are so far run down that they are pretty much unusable anymore! I thought going for new ones would hopefully last a bit longer and they seem to be a really good price!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah OK. Is that asking other members of the club who have their own skis and may be upgrading? Or is this the club's own skis?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The members Smile they have said that they rarely sell their skis on and instead use them until they cant run them anymore. Ive asked them to let me know if any are trying to get rid of a pair but so far nobody has said anything...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At your size/weight of skier then racing on plastic is going to wear out skis in 6 months if training/racing every week. We bought a pair of those Rossi's and junior really likes them - ok he only uses then for warm up and inspection but at the price...

I doubt you'll find much better: My-Race have some decent deals, but somewhat more than your budget, e.g.
http://www.my-race.com/p/327/atomic-race-d2-sl-ski-x18x20-binding
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
6 months?! I was hoping to get at least a year out of them Sad maybe I should look at paying slightly more for skis which will last longer?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You might be able to get a year out of them if you only sharpen them occasionally and only train/race once a week Happy But when you are training twice a week and racing both days on weekends you can rack up a lot of skiing in six months.

Unfortunately no skis (these days) are actually designed for use on plastic - to the extent that at least one major manufacturer will not consider warranty claims for skis which have been used on plastic. This means that they will wear a lot quicker than on snow. Is Sunderland your slope? ISTR that has a misting system which will help (a bit) to keep the wear down.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah thats a shame Sad ill probably only be training once a week on a wednesday night for now - im nowhere near good enough to race yet! Yeah, sunderland dry slope. So do you think I should go for something other than the rossingols which will last longer?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Im not sure what the rossi bases are like now, but I always found mine would burn and blister terribly on plastic. Never had the problem with my head SL skis.

Ive used all sorts and whilst Id advise trying some heres my view (short view)

Rossi Slant nose - They turn and grip really well, but if you do use them on snow and the course cuts up they don't cope as well as the Head Isl
Dynastar - Not my cup of tea, find them harder to turn and to grip as well
Salomon 3V - Turn well, hold their edge well but not sprig and just feel flat
Head iSL - My favourite and I swear by them. You need good technique and they will reward your for this. Whatever pressure you put in, you'll get back out. Edge grip is fantastic and they are easy to switch between carving and slight skid turn if you need to between gates. They are springy and will throw you around (which I like) but never get in the back seat with them as they will spit you out Happy

I currently have the 3V, Rossi Slant nose and Head iSL for playing around on depending on my mood Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Head's seem slightly out of my price range to say the least!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.skibartlett.com/head-world-cup-rebels-sl-team-junior-race-slalom-skis-141-151cm-2014-was-280-35119-p.asp

this seems to be the best deal I can find
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what kind of length should I be going for? is 150 too small?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@el.sammo, Id say so yes. Your the same height as me (a touch lighter than me) and I ski 155's. Your problem is that whilst you may be a junior (not sure of your age) your weight and height really needs you on an adult ski. Kids skis will be a bit soft for you I think
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Im 19, sadly the adult skis are a lot more expensive Sad
snow conditions
Indeed, Ever thought of playing basket ball instead, You'll be 7foot by time your mid 20's! Happy

I have an old pair of Head SL skis you can have for nothing if your happy to pay shipping. They are 155, and although they are about 5 years old I only ever use them to race on snow, so edges are sharp and bases are fine. They are just in the loft gathering dust.

Your next investment will need to be wax, and lots of it Happy
snow conditions
That sounds great! Could I see some pictures? Im new to the site so not sure how to send you a PM
ski holidays
PM Sent Happy
ski holidays
If you move on after you've worn out Paul's skis, you could look here.

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/fischer/rc4_superior_sc_rc4_z11_b80_matt_black_yellow-69119.html Bit more than £200, but a decent deal nonetheless. We ended up getting the Heads from Ski Bartlett's. You are a very similar size (height and weight) to Jnr, but he's 13, we went with the Jnr skis (in 155) just in case the adult skis were too stiff for him.
snow report
Thanks, will definitely consider those after I wear through Paul's. I used to ski a pair of 150 RC4's which I used to borrow from my girlfriend and I always enjoyed them - just not the price! But that seems like a great deal
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy