Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking to buy skis, to use for instructing and personal use

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bit of background:
I am a newbie on here and looking for some advice for this upcoming season. Ive been skiing for the last 9 years, always went on school/uni trips. which involved alot of coaching and teaching. i would say i'm an advanced skier, i like long reds and steep challenging blacks. Ive always rented skis but i would like to finally get some for my self. im roughly 6ft, 180cm, and weigh 95kg.

On piste i would say i am pretty aggressive, i enjoy speed with longish turns when the runs are empty. but when its busy i tend to ski with shorter turns. I am not as good off piste as i am on, but on a good snow dump i do find myself in the powder. I have struggled in the past with skis when i do go into the powder.

I am doing an internship course, in Japan, where i do my level 1, teach beginners then i do my level 2 closer to the end of the season. I want to do a season every year after this aswel.

So my main question is, what sort of skis would be ideal to have. I have considered getting getting 2 sets, piste and powder ones. Is that a good idea or is an all mountain a better option
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know of many instructors teaching on real mountains who don't have a t least 2 pairs , one for teaching and one for personal fun. I guess for those whose idea of fun is pistes then maybe one would suffice or if you believe in throwback stuff like a slalom ski is perfectly great in powder. Look at the what skis for BASI 1 and 2 thread in BZK.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I teach mainly school groups and beginners so start with some pretty ancient short light a flexible head something or other skis (helpful, I know).
But the point is they are incredibly light and require no effort on the nursery run for all those snowploughs and side stepping and picking people up etc..etc..
Once on the mountain I swap to some all-mountains.
Needless to say I have SL, GS and powder skis too...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. On Japanese pistes the snow is so perfect and grippy you can legit carve any ski that isn't reverse sidecut
2. Japanese pistes aren't long, steep or difficult, and don't get icy

Yes you do want two pairs. One pair of full on pow skis (120mm or wider), and then something to teach on. Something like Dynastar Sultan 85 or whatever the current equivalent is would be good. No need to go much narrower than 90mm or so as the snow is so perfect, and that will also let you have more fun playing in the pow when you get the chance on teaching days.

Japanese pistes are pretty lame in comparison to Europe, so all the fun is offpiste in the trees. No need for high performance piste skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cambered piste for work and training, big ol fun stick for playtime and jumping around

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/blizzard-magnum-77-ti-suspension-skis--power-11-bindings-1314/700333 in 174

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/volkl-one-skis-1415/700460 in 186

for a lazily researched cheap-ish 2 ski quiver.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy